Sign in to follow this  
JaseNZ

Badge relocation.

Ok so i know this is a contentious issue with some as some prefer not to have any badges at all but for me i want to keep them. I need to move the ///M badge as its in the wrong place. The guy doing the badges must have been on the turps that day. Whats the best way to remove it and what would be best used to stick in the correct place on the left hand side.

Actually i would be interesting in what people have used to get the residue off

I removed my badges and cant get it off :wacko:

You will destroy them getting them off, if you bend them theyre knackered and I'm not sure where you can get a replacement thin adhesive double sided tape. I have a special tool for removing them. I used white spirits to soften the adhesive and rolled it off with my thumb... takes ages, but dont use any instruments... just your thumb or fingers... and yes... they will hurt. Polish afterwards and fit new emblems

Edited by *Glenn*

A spray can of wax and grease remover and dental floss will do the trick.

If you have the patience to scrape off the old adhesive off the badge then you can replace it with the double-sided foam tape and use the badge again.

I did this with my 325i badge which I got used off a wrecked car.

Just de-badged last week.

I literally pulled mine off. It was held on good but it came off extremely easily. I was prepared to use meths and a credit card but didn't need to.

Like Glenn said, used my finger to get the sticky tape off and then meths to clean the tiny stuff off. Could still see the outline so I just gave it a really through polish and it looks as though there was never one there.

If you're gonna put it back on just make sure its in the exact spot you want it when you first push down otherwise you'll screw the adhesive if you need to reposition it.

What they use now on the E46's is quite different to E30's Mark. You could try ringing Dave @ Euro Collison Jason

(09) 5212283

When i painted my 325i badge i removed my badge with dental floss, removed any sticky leftovers with 3M citrus based spray cleaner and reapplied with double sided car trim tape, found at any repco.

Heat it up with the GF/Wifes/sisters Hairdryer and use dental floss to get it off cheesewire style. No reason you cant use the badge twice, it will only break if you are careless or not doing it right.

To get the residue off i used nail polish remover, but i wouldnt use that again. took the top layer of shineyness off with it (not noticeable unless your looking for it though).

To reapply the badge you can get foam tape from supercheap/repco etc in different thicknesses and sizes. For best results, once the badge is on the car, heat it up again and then let it cool on its own. Makes the glue stick better ime

^ As Mark said, fishing line works great to get the badge off the car without breaking it.

I found meths or disolvit helps remove old trim tape/residue.

Never use Nail polish remover on paint. Nail polish remover is Acetone which is an intense thinner.

Meths is relatively safe, depending how much you use it could take the layer of wax off your car. Thats why some groomers wash cars with a diluted meths liquid so they can get a fresh base. Wouldn't try terps again, removed the paint and lacquer from one of my eyelids once. Don't know about kerosene.

CRC 'Peel off' label remover will remove almost any adhesive and it doesn't damage paint etc.I used that and a really thin welding helmet lends to scrape it off the car

No damage whatsoever

Wow guys so many reply's and so fast thanks to you all now that's what i call service :D , And what are you all doing should you's not be working :P

haha probably. im working on the car with the laptop next to me though :D

I just used 4kg braid fishing line, nice strong stuff and its very thin, so it just cut through the adhesive tape. then rolled all the sticky crap off with my fingers.