Sign in to follow this  
JaseNZ

1993 850ci

Kill me, but id take one of these over an M3 any day. And as for M5, well.. i havent like the 5er since the E34. Been listed for ages though.

quite like... but not for that cash... brake rotors are not even slotted or drilled.. would expect it to be at that price...

went to south auck in jan. the guy i met showed me his workshop... had about 6 e36, 3 x 8 series just stored up, transmissions everywhere engines being worked on LOL... i was like.. woah...

You are getting into E46 M3 money at 35k, a cheap one but still an E46 M3, let alone an E39 M5. Would much rather have an E39 M5, althought I do like the interior.

I'm about 99% certain a friend of mine owned this about 10 yrs ago, at 44km, and equally sure he paid around $50-60k for it, making it way over priced now.

The exhaust is awful, it drones like you wouldn't believe and the interior would eventually turn you into a serial killer. At least now it has some half decent wheels, the originals were ugly beyond belief.

I'm the same, I'd rather one of those over a M3 or M5 (money wise)

They've got an exclusive look about them, surely they won't devalue much further and that one being NZ new should be a bit more desirable than some Jap/Sing import.

^^ yep. Id say that price is about as low as they will go. You are looking at the only 8 series ever produced... they are going to be a classic. and are only going to increase in value. That said, this one wont be as desirable/worth as much not being a CSi.. but i still doubt you will ever see one for sub $20k

quite like... but not for that cash... brake rotors are not even slotted or drilled.. would expect it to be at that price...

went to south auck in jan. the guy i met showed me his workshop... had about 6 e36, 3 x 8 series just stored up, transmissions everywhere engines being worked on LOL... i was like.. woah...

i know that guy , did he also show you his subaru justy that runs on water (hydrogin)

umm nope didnt have any subbies. although he has one of those stock cars that goes around that mud ring?? edward is his name. got his business card here somewhere.

OP, for that price i would expect it to be manual as well..

OP, for that price i would expect it to be manual as well..

Well, expect to pay a cool ~$100k for an 850CSi, like the one Glenn had in his garage.

As above, a looked after one is worth every cent IMO.

there was one for sale on TM. cant remember how much it was.. but around that price..

Yup i like.

>>Clicky<<

The E31 8 series is an interesting one. I have always loved them since I was a teenager. These days I have a special one which I cherish very much. In their own way they are extremely beautiful and apart from having a snout similar to the iconic M1, they are totally unique for a BMW. 20 years have gone since the day they were launched and there hasn't been one car that BMW has launched showing distinct 8 series DNA. When I take my car on a nice day I get more scopes driving the 8 than any other BMW I have owned. Some people ask me whether it is a new car that BMW has just released! Bizarre.

Problem is that they were given a bit of bad rap in the early days by the press because they are heavy cars which were not as chuckable as their M-powered predecessor, the M635csi, let alone any of the other M-power cars of their time. However, it was never meant to be. It is a coupe designed for long-distance cruising. In reality, they actually handle ok. Just not that nimble because of the heft.

That coupled with the heavy costs of running them as parts are often bespoke and complex electronics (not to mention the costs of running a V12) has led to the earlier 850i and 850ci's to depreciate to next to nothing levels.

This silver example has been on trademe for a long time and sadly seems to be priced off the mark.

It appears to be a good example with nice colour and decent provenance.

However in recent years there have been quite a few in the low ten to 20k mark territory. There have been some languishing around the low $20k mark for ever. Nice cars, but comparatively, the demand is just not there. People want a quicker, more modern car. Period.

In my case however, I am a sad arse who just loves the big old school coupes!

Not sure if anyone will remember but that black 8 series with the number plate D0ZEN.

It had at the top of the plate Dirty and the plate was D0ZEN.

That was the best looking 8 that I've ever seen. That was a cheap car too. I think if I ever bought one it would have to be a 850

Has anyone ever driven a 850? what do they pull and handle like? Could you compare them to a CLK 55 AMG?

Edited by Clinton

The E31 8 series is an interesting one. I have always loved them since I was a teenager. These days I have a special one which I cherish very much. In their own way they are extremely beautiful and apart from having a snout similar to the iconic M1, they are totally unique for a BMW. 20 years have gone since the day they were launched and there hasn't been one car that BMW has launched showing distinct 8 series DNA. When I take my car on a nice day I get more scopes driving the 8 than any other BMW I have owned. Some people ask me whether it is a new car that BMW has just released! Bizarre.

Problem is that they were given a bit of bad rap in the early days by the press because they are heavy cars which were not as chuckable as their M-powered predecessor, the M635csi, let alone any of the other M-power cars of their time. However, it was never meant to be. It is a coupe designed for long-distance cruising. In reality, they actually handle ok. Just not that nimble because of the heft.

That coupled with the heavy costs of running them as parts are often bespoke and complex electronics (not to mention the costs of running a V12) has led to the earlier 850i and 850ci's to depreciate to next to nothing levels.

This silver example has been on trademe for a long time and sadly seems to be priced off the mark.

It appears to be a good example with nice colour and decent provenance.

However in recent years there have been quite a few in the low ten to 20k mark territory. There have been some languishing around the low $20k mark for ever. Nice cars, but comparatively, the demand is just not there. People want a quicker, more modern car. Period.

In my case however, I am a sad arse who just loves the big old school coupes!

Is your 840 manual? Any pics etc

+452.3

I'm keen for a nosey on it. I have to admit these 8 series are starting to grow on me. I'm gonna have to look into getting a bigger garage!

the comments above mirror exactly the comments made by a guy i talked to who at the time had a 635 but had owned an 850...he said you were always aware you were in a wide heavy car.The V12 has massive torque tho,and itself has a undeserved reputation,you just gota know what you are doing.the body electrics are also very complex.

The million dollar question is, how reliable are they? I can imagine them being bloody expensive to fix/repair/parts e.t.c.

840 is just an m60/m62, so nothing too uncommon.

Can't comment on v12

i would bank on a 840ci rather than a 850i. dont need the extra ive got a v12 wanna ride factor. and maintenance would not be as dear as that on the v12. as said above the 840i has the m60 and m62 v8. can easily be serviced as parts can be taken from 7 series and 5 series m60s and i believe has the same transmission as the e38 / e39 as well??

the only problem i would see is, if the owner wanted to do some upgrading on the exterior. lights? body kit. those are not as readily available as the engine parts and other electronics that are unique to the 8. i.e. the flip up light motor. would imagine it would be hard to replace that. OMG WHY DONT THEY MAKE THOSE ANYMORE !!! thats wat makes a supercar :P!!

Hi yes your are right.

My 8 is one of only three manual 840 ci Sport's with the M62 engine (4.4) out of 1473 total made in RHD, and was the last one ever built (the other 2 M62 manuals live in the UK).

Even with the M60 engine, the RHD manuals are rare (54 M60 manuals made out of 970 total).

In NZ, there are two other manuals M60's that I know of. One is hell red with red/black individual leather (with red-head-lining too-this is Gerry Hodges's old car) and there is a Schnitzer in Estoril blue in Auckland. 4 odd years ago there was a Tobago blue Individual as well that sold in Hamilton for $24k. It was bought by an Aussie who shipped it back to Melbourne and sold it within a week for $40AUD (and it had like 225kms on the clock).

How I would describe them is this - pretty effortless driving ; you feel comfortable in a ergonomic cockpit; everything feels solid and has effortless pick up. Even today it feels like a luxury cruiser which truly belies it's age.

My car is completely original with 50 kms on the clock. It has full Motorsport spec's so has the body-kit /mirrors that first adorned the 850csi. Hell red, black leather with original style 5 wheels (which are my personal all-time fave wheel). Here is a pretty average pic.

post-2653-1268530385.jpg

Awesome car ssbmw.