Sign in to follow this  
MrDevine

E34 Check Lights – Brake Light/Tail Light/Dip Beam/Lic Plate LIght

Some times when I crank up the v8 I get one or two 'dings' that go 'ding'.

Often these check controls come on when you press the brake pedal.

Just after I brought it last year, the messages started, I replaced all rear tail lights and front fog lights – all was good for a while.

Now I'm getting these messages: 1 Brake Light / Lic Plate Light / Brake Light / Dip Beam.

All these lights work.

Do I need to go and check for corrosion in the sockets? Or have I got the wrong brake light bulbs? Or do I need a new LKM? Car is a '94 and I'm sure some electrical bits are getting corroded. It appears to be a not uncommon problem on E34s. I did read somewhere that there was a unit or sensor collection underneath the boot strut that can get lazy?

Any advice appreciated.

Mr D.

lkm module or ccm (check control module) also brake light switches fail .

Check the bundle of wires in the boot on LH side by gas strut.

Sometimes these wires break

lkm module or ccm (check control module) also brake light switches fail .

Hey Brent, thanks for that – I would think based on web research that this module could be the problem. Is this a DIY change out or do you need an auto electrician?

I'll check wires on LH gas strut too.

Thanks guys.

Hey Brent, thanks for that – I would think based on web research that this module could be the problem. Is this a DIY change out or do you need an auto electrician?

Thanks guys.

these are symptoms of shorts in the bundle of wires by the boot hinge,from memory the brake light switch failure is Brake light(elec) or similar Edited by kiwi535

Thanks guys.

easy swap in another , sits in the fuse box . have some to try if needed

in papakura

Cheers Brent, will give you a call. Could I come see you next weekend? In Tauranga this one.

C

Did you resolve this issue.mine has started to do the same thing so removed lkm and resoldered board but this did not fix the problem

Try checking the bundle of wires by boot hinge on LHS. Common problem.

I had similar issues, opened up the wires in the boot and found several breaks/contacts.

Have checked the wiring harness on the left of the boot,all seems to be ok.checked the check control module but looks ok on the board.

This fault only appears at night when you have the lights on and press the brake pedal,have ordered another brake switch in case it is this.Any other suggestions guys

this might be a long shot....

has it got a towbar, seen 2 instances in the past month with trailer plugs being bottomed out in the E34's causing shorts and tripping check controller

diagnose before spending

have LKM modules if you need one

currently wrecking 3 E34's one is a V8

Cheers

Jon

cheers jon will check trailor plug wiring.

How much for a lkm if i want one.

Robert

Heh, how could I forget about my infamous Plate Light warning on my 540i

Oh the memories...

Quoted for truth ..

Try checking the bundle of wires by boot hinge on LHS. Common problem.

I had similar issues, opened up the wires in the boot and found several breaks/contacts.

I Had this too.

Now I'm getting these messages: 1 Brake Light / Lic Plate Light / Brake Light / Dip Beam.

Unplug the motors for yuor headlight height adjustment. Mine were bad and were giving me these check control warnings.

Edited by -Alias-

Any help would be appreciated,have tried another lkm,checked wiring by left boot hinge,checked brake switch but still get those dreaded brake,tail,lic plate light up on dash but only at night when lights are on.what else could be the cause

Check the earths and bulb holders. Also check that all the bulb wattages are correct & the same.

Check the earths and bulb holders. Also check that all the bulb wattages are correct & the same.

Did you resolve this issue? Mine turn to be totally frustrated by those dings and warnings....

Did you resolve this issue? Mine turn to be totally frustrated by those dings and warnings....

Pop the bonnet and look at the back of the headlights. (the right hand side will have a plastic heat shield of sorts as a part of the airbox - remove this, but put it back!)

In the middle of the light cluster, there is a long thing sticking out with a plug on the end. This is the motor which controls the light height adjustment. unplug the plug.

Provided you dont have a broken loom in the boot, i can almost guarantee this will fix your issue.

I have just done this now on my latest 540, and once again, it works a treat. No more bing bong etc.

Pop the bonnet and look at the back of the headlights. (the right hand side will have a plastic heat shield of sorts as a part of the airbox - remove this, but put it back!)

In the middle of the light cluster, there is a long thing sticking out with a plug on the end. This is the motor which controls the light height adjustment. unplug the plug.

Provided you dont have a broken loom in the boot, i can almost guarantee this will fix your issue.

I have just done this now on my latest 540, and once again, it works a treat. No more bing bong etc.

thank s

will give it a go this weekend

tried resoldeirng the lkm relay points to no avail.

Cheers

Checked LKM for dry joints on relays and all looks ok. Resoldered anyway. No Change.

Unplugged both head light dip motors. Now only recieve "tail light" when depressing the brake pedal.

Could this be boot loom? Whats the best way to "check" the loom for damaged wires?

Cheers

Logan

thank s

will give it a go this weekend

tried resoldeirng the lkm relay points to no avail.

Cheers

Checked LKM for dry joints on relays and all looks ok. Resoldered anyway. No Change.

Unplugged both head light dip motors. Now only recieve "tail light" when depressing the brake pedal.

Could this be boot loom? Whats the best way to "check" the loom for damaged wires?

Cheers

Logan

where the loom enters the boot it is fixed to the lh boot hinge with a plastic sheath.Take of the sheath and untape the loom tape.I bet you have some broken and or shorting wires.Have you checked the middle (high) stop light?

The LKM causes loss of headlights

Edited by kiwi535

Cheers

Logan

loom runs along the left hand boot hinge. common point of failure is at the bends of the hinge.

where the loom enters the boot it is fixed to the lh boot hinge with a plastic sheath.Take of the sheath and untape the loom tape.I bet you have some broken and or shorting wires.Have you checked the middle (high) stop light?

The LKM causes loss of headlights

Middle high stop in window functions normally.

Thanks for the pointers will post progress.

LKM is date stamped 2002, so has been replaced with a new one at some stage in teh cars life.