Sign in to follow this  
tire

325i touring log

you wouldnt consider selling ur skirts would you?

Good to see the car today max, shes stunning in real life.

I have a grey sunroof head-liner if you want and also intake boot.

I need some money from the black interior to fund my recaros so if you want them within a week then they're yours for 500, otherwise i'll just put them on trademe as need money asap.

Is you E30M30 up and running now Andrew ??

Is you E30M30 up and running now Andrew ??

Not quite, but shes very close. Hopefully will have the engine in for the final time this weekend.

you wouldnt consider selling ur skirts would you?

Sorry I don't want to part with them for reasons I described to you at Mikes :)

SIR E30 knows of a touring being wrecked, as all tourings came with them from factory it might have them.

pm'd also.

I broke a engine mount arm and both my gearbox mounts in the weekend.

Posted Image

So I fixed that. I also put in a replacement steering rack as the other one was spitting fluid everywhere.

I still had a bit of time left over today so I put this fast as rocker cover on which I stole off another member ages ago. Guess who?

Before:

Posted Image

After:

Posted Image

I was pleased with how clean the old RC was underneath. Its a good quiet and strong motor, just gets annoying when it stops for absolutely no reason :angry:

Posted Image

I'm looking to install my bilstein b8s in the rear, space the rear wheels and lower the front some more towards the end of this week. I also want to get my extractors and sump guard installed but since both of these are going to to require welding (money) I'm putting it off. Maybe in summer.

What are you using for the sump guard?

Rocker Cover looks nice, now clean up your manifold thanks haha

Oh yeah when are we doing the bonnet insulation :P

Sump guard is a standard south african one, with the green paint mod (green paint is more aerodynamic and is reported to give anywhere from 4 - 9 rwkw depending on the gloss). Since my car is not safa I have to get studs welded into the chassis and holes drilled in to the subframe to fit it.

Yea manifold looks grot but bugger taking it off.

I'm loosing motivation on the bonnet insulation front. Take over for me?

My sump guard bolted right up, and AFAIK its not a SA import....weird.

Your sump upgrade's good environmentally too I'm told.

Just spray some degreaser on a rag and go to town on the mani ya bum.

You get the insulation, I'll do both if you supply beer.

brake clean works wonders on the intake mani!

FINE I'll clean the mani tomorrow. sh*t.

You get the insulation, I'll do both if you supply beer.

I don't get it! You'l do both what?

Edited by tastic

I'll do the insulation on both cars bonnets...you can watch me do mine, and then you'll wanna take over doing your own is the plan :D

I'll do the insulation on both cars bonnets...you can watch me do mine, and then you'll wanna take over doing your own is the plan :D

Oh yes I thought that's what you meant. I rekon the best way to get the old stuff off will be with a reso strong waterblaster (not one of those weak and unreliable $120 mitre 10 jobs) - have you got one?

Yepp, will text you this weekend. Dunno how well it'll work though.

Will bring misc. paint scraping tools too

I put those bilstiens in. They rule - I haven't been able to get the car to rub on its wheels since. Taking the interior apart was nothing major so I'm not really sure what all the fuss is about there. Only tricky bit is bolting the seatbelt reels back in.

Posted Image

Posted Image

^peep the magnetic parts tray - best $10 ever spent.

I was also getting whacky camber and caster in the front, so I replaced the struts with ones from my parts car, which just happened to have shortened shocks in them and a new wheel bearing so that was a bonus. These new shocks are also a heap stiffer, which should make future trips down sh4 much easier than the last one <_< . Maybe they are bilstiens or something!? Anyway now my car steers straight.

This is my front height with 4cyl king springs in. How can I get lower without coils? I want it to tuck a bit like the rear:

Posted Image

Also, the car looks hard with the rear spacers on but I can't drive with them because the wheel bolts I have are 2mm too long and are fouling on something inside the hub, and std wheel bolts are too short. But when I sort that I will take styly photos and stuff and maybe my touring will become an internet car?

Chow.

Edited by tastic

Yep those wheels looks awesome and thanks for the help on tuesday Max

No worries Hans, it was awesome to be able to help you! Cheers.

Looks good Max.

You could get shorter top strut mounts from the US and/or take the rubber spring pads out.

That's all I can think of, keep up the good work.

Edited by Brams

^peep the magnetic parts tray - best $10 ever spent.

+9001

Like the front ride height man :)

Nice work!

But when I sort that I will take styly photos and stuff and maybe my touring will become an internet car?

Deff, with styly photos. Wheels are pretty styly, nice one ^_^ Edited by skrillz

Nath I tried rolling without rear spring pads for a while but it squeeked like mad so I'm reluctant to take them out of the front. Can you tell me more about shorter top strut mounts?

Also forgot to mention I set up my throttle plate with a 0.0015in gap (factory setting) with the screw then adjusted the tps so it was clicking right and now the car starts real cleanly and settles into a sweet 700rpm idle without the fuelly smells. Took 20mins and cost nothing! Win!

Still cuts out at 3000rpm though, and its been getting worse lately. Any ideas? Sometimes it cuts out then comes back in again and keeps revving, other times it cuts out and I have to restart it. Good thing m20b25s never need 3000revs to potter around :P

^ Clean your AFM + TPS.

They are 15mm drop hats, available on e30tech

Also, the car looks hard with the rear spacers on but I can't drive with them because the wheel bolts I have are 2mm too long and are fouling on something inside the hub, and std wheel bolts are too short. But when I sort that I will take styly photos and stuff and maybe my touring will become an internet car?

Chow.

Hi Max

the car is looking great. When you spin the rear wheel is it like a ticking sound? If so, the studs will be hitting on the handbrake cable on the inside of the hubs. The only real solution is to cut your studs down a bit shorter so you have clearance. You can do it yourself with a good hacksaw and a vice, it just takes some time. Make sure you put a nut over the thread as well so you don't damage it.

cheers

Johno

Thanks Johno yes yes they are too long. If I hacksaw some off will the thread still be able to catch a hole though?

That's one reason you put a nut on before you hacksaw. As well as protecting the thread, it also cleans the end as you take it off, run it up and down a few times over the end before removing it completely and you should be fine.