Sign in to follow this  
ron&hazel

M Powering my m535i 1987 e28

Hi guys,Im new to Bimmersport but have been following this with interest for the past few months.My m535i is in beautiful condition and we love driving it.We have allways been keen on replacing it with an Mpower maybe M3 or M5 or M6 but some of the prices are frightening.Would it be a good move to replace the existing motor with a higher H.P one or improve the existing 3.5litre one.I dont intend racing it,I just like my wheels a bit different.Looking forward to your input.

I wouldn't bastardise a good condition M535i. They're worth a decent amount especially in manual. A repower would be very expensive anyway. E28 M5 engines are pretty much non existent, and any engine swap is going to cost you $$$.

Perhaps sell your car and buy the E28 M5 listed on Trademe? Would almost be the cheapest option.

Oh BTW, we need to see pics of your M535i.

Pictures or ban!

Welcome to Bimmersport ^_^

yes , have done it to my car . has cost me a bit over a few years ,

but have loved doing it (or at least love the power of the m5 engine etc)

i have been using mine for a quite a few track days etc . handling and braking have also been addresed.

i do have a spare engine now ,

and they do cost heaps , but makes it such a great car .

just in the middle of rebuilding one of the engines .

blew a head gasget after 25years of use ( so bare that in mind when buying a used engine)

with new custom over sized higher compression pistons

recon'd cylinder head with new shrick cams

fitting a bigger crank into it , so taking it from a 3453cc to about 3650cc

remapped ecu etc shorter diff gearing etc etc .

should pull quite well .

you can go down the tweeked M30 route , just depends how far you want to go .

headers , cams , using a older m90 block and fitting newer larger crank etc

custom pistons or std ones , diff change , etc etc .

what sort of budget are you thinking .

post-279-1269425171.jpg

post-279-1269425215.jpg

post-279-1269425291.jpg

post-279-1269425370.jpg

post-279-1269425439.jpg

Edited by Brent HARTGE535i

Not that I want to thread hijack, but Brent, do you come across many individual throttle bodies for M30/M5 engines?

PS OP/ Tommy- Pics or ban! :D

Edited by Sick Puppy

Not that I want to thread hijack, but Brent, do you come across many individual throttle bodies for M30/M5 engines?

PS OP/ Tommy- Pics or ban! :D

non , but they are for sale on ebay.com , ebay.de ebay.co.uk

Hi Brent ,is that the motor out of the Black South African 745i ? ;)

RE topic:

I would spend the money on the 535i engine, after having the privilege to drive a very well tuned one on the weekend I can see a lot of potential in that engine.

Defiantly PM MrE34 for some advice as to what to do, you’d be amazed at what his gained through a good fuel system over haul, it puts down a lot of power and torque is responsive and I would bet it would rival your average tired E34 M5 in a straight line. Lovely engine.

Could look at a Turbocharger if you want BIG power :rolleyes:

Edited by Apex

I've done cam regrind, a bit of porting and a remap courtesy of Gavin at Hi-Velocity, and have 190rwhp, goes very well thank you. The M6 only gets me in a straight line, and then not by much, hope to have him with the latest rebuild.

This link might help.

Can either use one of the hosts listed or the bimmersport gallery.

I have tried everything I know to put my photos on this and have even booked in a professional to put my photos on and guess what,he didnt show up,dont some poeple piss you of some time.Im really keen to be part of this web site,and the BMW owners. If there is anyone enjoying the southland area and wants a free bed who can put my photos on,even if you cant put the photos on,give us a call.Ron @Hazel.0272931117 or 032360484.We love beemers.P.S Looking at an M6,exciting times.

Guest Simon*

G'day Ron

If you like I can post up some pictures for you? I'll just get you to email them to me if that suits you, then I'll post them up here in the forum. Let me know and I'll give you my email address.

Cheers

Simon

You just want that free bed dont cha??

G'day Ron

If you like I can post up some pictures for you? I'll just get you to email them to me if that suits you, then I'll post them up here in the forum. Let me know and I'll give you my email address.

Cheers

Simon

Hi Simon, That would be good if you could post my photos. My email address is ronaldt@xnet.co.nz Contact me there and we can arrange it hopefully.

At last we have now managed to post our photos thanks to my wonderful wife,

Edited by tommy143