Sign in to follow this  
offset

e30 front shocks

hey all,

a friend of mine has a 89' E30 coupe, 318.

the front shocks after her service, was told that they are completely f*cked.

so a replacement is in order ASAP.

just wondering, are there different types of front shocks for the e30's?

she got a few rough quotes from a few diff places, but pricing seems to have a huge difference in quotes.

so i thought i'd do some research and see what i can come up with.

and whats the best way to go about this? just replace with some 2nd hands? or is it likely that they might crap out sooner or later too, so just go with new? or any other options etC?

you get your standard e30 shocks that fit into your 45mm/51mm struts. 318 is 45mm IIRC. best to get 2nd units for cost wise. you get your sports shocks i.e bilstein, but its gonna be more expensive than standard ones.

pm the sponsors on the forum, Glenn at Botany Motor Worx, Ray at HellBM and Mike at Synthe for a good reliable quote.

Edited by dubman

If she wants it to pass next wof or whatever and not worry about replacing in the next 5-10years, I'd go for brand new. The extra $ would be worth it, surely? Im planning on upgrading my shocks (not cheap) but worth it in the long run. Im just surpised they keep passing a WOF cos Im sure they are had it...

whether they pass or fail a wof, (these ones will probably fail the next wof no doubt), its never safe to run a vehicle with 'dodgy' shocks.

what would be a reasonable/approximate price for second hand shocks, and standard oe new ones? i dont think she could justify going the extra mile in buying aftermarket ones.

My shocks and no good too. I got quoted $500 inc stall and wheel alignment for monroe shocks. Them Monroe shocks any good?

Price will always dictaite the "good" factor... $200 won't buy you good, really good or wow

Fine for a good middle of the road shock

Middle of the road eh lol. Id go KYB over Monroe, shouldn't be more than $300 for fronts and should ride better & last longer