Sign in to follow this  
Gotheschu

X5 4.6IS 2002

X5 4.6IS 2002

Heaps of you guys may recognize this car as the Owner of the BMW Owners Club was the 1 and only previous owner. He really looked after the car and its in perfect condition.

Its completely optioned out every option available except the pull out boot floor.

Gavin gave it the all clear, after we took it to him to inspect it prior to purchase =)

Just got it back today from Rapid Radio after getting a handsfree Parrot thingy installed. Really good handsfree, very clear and you can use with your mp3, phone or ipod or bluetooth device for music through the car stereo and all the steering wheel controls still work!

Also got the Bell Radar Detector and Jammer put in as well.

Rapid Radio are really good, good guys there and reasonable prices!!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by Gotheschu

Looks good!

Is it a Radar Jammer, or a Laser Jammer?

Edited by antil33t

Looks good!

Hey,

Its the Beltronics STI and this is what I just found on the RapidRadio Product page =)

http://www.rapidradio.co.nz/Product-Catalo...p;ProductId=443

Thats the Jammer we have, I'll go get a picture of them now. and upload for you guys.

So, its a laser jammer I think =)

EDIT

Picture of the front where the jammer and radar is hidden, jammer up top radar down below.

Edited by Gotheschu

Bel STi is win - nice choice.

Love the colour!

It's been pretty good. We have X band and K Band turned off but sometimes it brings up K and X band alerts. Rapid say its just ours and that have replaced the CPU and full unit a few times but been doing it since it was on the M3

so.. when do you take possession of the racecar?

Dropping off more of the money to Scott tomorrow hopefully. Im getting the money by doing sites for people and a few have pulled out with finical problems, so cash not coming in as quick as I planned but. Im getting an ad up on Bimmersport so hopefully that'll help me out.

Maybe a BMW guys who need a better site for not so much coin will notice me. Have to try it =)

But yea as I said at the start the more jobs for me the quicker I get it =)

Nice colour, car looks mint!

Got tints done today, but a bit darker not to dark though. And some new Hi Velocity Stickers on as the ones I put on were pathetic. Had bubbles everywhere so got the sign writer to do em =)

Looks good!

Don't mean to hijack here, but you cant "jam" laser. Best you can do is detect it so you have some warning to slow down.

Very nice looking X5 though, i thought they were ugly when i first saw them, but they are totally growing on me.

Don't mean to hijack here, but you cant "jam" laser. Best you can do is detect it so you have some warning to slow down.

Very nice looking X5 though, i thought they were ugly when i first saw them, but they are totally growing on me.

Same, I thought from Top Gears review they were useless school buses. I tried getting him into a Jeep SRT8 but they devalue to much and as much as I thought the 4.9 secs to 100 was worth the bad build quality the X5 took his liking.

The way the Jammer works is if a cop has his speed gun thingy out and pointing it will jam it. So we have 10 seconds to jam on the brakes before he gets a reading and by then we will be at the legal speed hopefully..

Thats my understanding and I got the laser part from Rapid Radios website and you can see it from the link i put somewhere on this thread. =)

What a stunning X5 mate! Awesome colour :D

Yea, Jammers work by jamming the signal sent out by the radar gun the cop is holding. Seeing as they are illegal in NZ (or illegal to use) as you've said the idea is to lower your speed asap and switch the jammer off. If you travel 400m towards a cop and he can't read your speed then he's gonna know some things up and possibly stop and ticket you for use of a jammer. They work great though.

Yea, Jammers work by jamming the signal sent out by the radar gun the cop is holding. Seeing as they are illegal in NZ (or illegal to use) as you've said the idea is to lower your speed asap and switch the jammer off. If you travel 400m towards a cop and he can't read your speed then he's gonna know some things up and possibly stop and ticket you for use of a jammer. They work great though.

They're not illegal yet. That was confirmed but you see in case it does become illegal, you will notice its hidden on the car and the read out is actually hidden in one of the air vents above the center unit. =) A cop can't pull someone over for speeding without evidence unless he's issueing a warning which is just as good as him not pulling you over at all. Dad was a x cop guy or something not a cop but when he gets pulled over he asks to see the read out in their car to see proof they actually got him at a excessive speed. =)

Only the radar is noticeable from the camera shots. Read out is on the right of the wheel and controls is by the heated seats controls so below the air conditions unit.

All the cops can do really is give us a dirty look and we've had a few but they know they can't touch us =)

Great fun, looking at there faces though =)

But again Rob at Rapid Radio knows for sure they're perfectly legal, they put the same system onto Ferraris and all that stuff at least once a week.

Edited by Gotheschu

Awesome pissing-off-cops setup you have there. Just make sure no unmarked/marked cruiser is behind you. You cant fool their speedo's ^_^

Awesome pissing-off-cops setup you have there. Just make sure no unmarked/marked cruiser is behind you. You cant fool their speedo's ^_^

Yea, pretty easy to identify those plain clothes' cops though, if you keep a look out.

I think they're usually the in old SS or SV6-8 VZ Holden or the VE Commodore.

Best way to tell them is the antennas they have, I think there's one on the rear of the roof and a big one on the bonnet. Also, the little lights on the front and rear windscreens and the crappy little wheels =)

Yep, that works for Radar. But laser is a direct beam of invisible radiation, which upon hitting the surface of your vehicle bounces back to the gun giving a speed reading. The only possible way to block that would be either sheath the vehicle in a skin which absorbs radiation, or emit that same radiation in ALL directions at once (so that it will definitely get the gun) to confuse the machine.... Good luck doing either of those...

Unfortunately the police are using lasers more and more, as they are harder to detect and a LOT cheaper than their Radar units, which are no longer fitted to most cars...

Not sure if Im right here, but the units the cops have in their cars not the guns are fitted with a K A Band signal which only the good detectors pick up. They're using K band in the vans ( with speed cameras in them) on the highways ( a lot are around the Hampton downs State highway so be careful)

I know for sure that every cop car we see, we get an KA Band alert for it. Around 1 min before we see it.

So we're doing fine detection wise, Jammer doesn't go off nearly as much but not as many cops round where we live with guns.

Although have seen a few d*ck head cops hiding on on ramps with the guns the cheap idiots. Saw one on the way back from hampton on the on ramp just by the circuit and another on the way there and he clocked a guy in his E30 Race Car at around 119 I think I heard at the track.

But yea, some company will always find a way to detect the cops.

Radar detectors aren't illegal yet (possession or use). The possession of a jammer isn't illegal yet. I didn't mention anything about giving a speeding ticket as yes, in most cases they need to be able to show you proof of your speed.

There are plenty of reasons why the use of them is illegal. You must purchase a licence to transmit on any other frequencies besides those allocated to licence free (amateur) radios. If you transmit on the same frequency as someone else, who has paid, you're committing an offence. You need a licence to transmit on police bands. You're interfering with the cops ability to catch a 'criminal' and that itself is an offence. etc.

I realise they model of jammer you have is a laser diode model and some reasons above don't apply but they do to other types of jammers. But it still interferes... Detectors are legal because they do not interfere.

Like Paul has mentioned there is a big difference between laser and radar. I'm not clued up on the workings of the laser to be able to talk about it.

I can't find the NZ information right now but it falls around the same legislation in America and many other countries that "Jamming or attempting to jam a police radar gun is a federal felony punishable by fines and a possible jail sentence".

The legality is pretty much a grey area as no one has recorded been caught using a jammer, and if you were then you'd be an idiot! haha

I'm not against them. If I could afford one I'd have one!

Back on topic!

Yea, you know a hell of a lot more than me.

I believe what you say and hope we don't get caught if we are committing an offense.

Jack....you may have now made yourself a "Target" I know we have Police Officers from Auckland on our forum..... Blue BMW X5.... Reg No . HI WIRE

Edited by *Glenn*

Jack....you may have now made yourself a "Target" I know we have Police Officers from Auckland on our forum..... Blue BMW X5.... Reg No . HI WIRE

Oh dear haha

Totally missed this, epic ride mate, massive fan of those 4.6's they haul!

Totally missed this, epic ride mate, massive fan of those 4.6's they haul!

Yea, Gavin's putting in a new Throttle body soon, and a tune. Good fun car. I gotta upload some clips of it. The exhaust note sounds great for a 2 tonne truck.