Sign in to follow this  
David@globemarketing.co.nz

When is high KM's too high?

Hey guys,

I have a 2002 E46 54MY 330i sedan which I am thinking of selling. It is an NZ new car with a full BMW/BMW specalist service history, but, with 215k on the clock. My question is does anyone have an idea of what they think its worth (anyone interested?) and does the 215k figure scare everyone away unless its sold at a gift price? When would something like this car become worth scrapping for its parts?

The car itself is in ok condition, with the interior letting it down the most. No real panel damage though the front bumper is broken (though repairable). The car drives very well and even some of the mechanics who have driven it comment on that. It is stock standard and I there has been around $8k spent on it (over 2 years) and that also takes into account what I knew I had to do (to bring it up to spec, service, etc) when I bought the car. The biggest and only thing really to go wrong is the gearbox which was recon'd by BM Workshop.

What do you rekon? Your thoughts are appreciated.

Regards

David

post-3241-1271208191.jpg

Edited by David11

It looks nice enough, if it has been well serviced I would drive it 'tll it dies, how much would it be worth though?

my car is at 245km. some in beemersport has 300k + and still running like new anyone broke 400k+ yet?

215K is nothing IMO, Espcially if its been serviced etc.

Still be a bloody good car to drive etc and it looks sweet

i find cars usualy done over 180 have had most comonly replaced parts already relaced so you get win over a car done 130-160kms.

my car is at 245km. some in beemersport has 300k + and still running like new anyone broke 400k+ yet?

Waiting for the Haumoana Hoon to jump in B)

Km are fairly irrelevant imo as long as its been looked after. The average person seems to judge cars based on the km. My 535i i picked up has done around 502,000km(alot of sth island driving), still in very good condition and drives just as good as any E34 ive owned.

Edited by Eagle

Km are fairly irrelevant imo as long as its been looked after. The average person seems to judge cars based on the km. My 535i i picked up has done around 502,000km(alot of sth island driving), still in very good condition and drives just as good as any E34 ive owned.

Cheers, I think your car must win the 'most kms done' award. I agree, which is why I am trying to find out what sort of price the car might be worth. Thanks again

my e28 m535i has 512,000km now , still drives fine

Wow. Makes mine look like its just run in!

Your car still has a lot of life left in it. I had an 02 530i with 260km and sold it - I have regretted that since the day it left the house. It was a great car and drove perfectly. Just drive and enjoy it.

I figure that you car has still got tons of life in it and just deserves to be driven. The 3.0 engines are very strong and sounds like you have a car that has some of its age-related issues sorted out. Mileage is an interesting one. I have many friends who swear by buying a high mileage car (and I have bought a few too) that has extensive history /receipts. Often when you buy a car that has clocked 200 kms you get a car that has had extensive maintenance work (like your gear-box (or items like suspension)) already.

The only problem really is when you want to sell a car with high mileage - your target market becomes a little smaller! There are some people who would never buy a car with over 150,000kms, irrespective of the car's condition/ history. Sad but true!

It's all about the condition and maintenance record.

I've seen MANY high mileage (300K+) cars that are minter than cars with under 100,000 and 1/3 the age.

My 540i with 260ks was no exception, needed some general suspension bushes but it was mint in every other respect.

Some late 90's 540i's I've seen were ruined and had reasonably moderate k's so it about how well the car is, if the owner shags the car and doesn't give a toss then its going to be an ideal parts car sooner than later.

many engine changes in that 511km Brent?

i brought the car with 465,000km the old engine was still going but had a knocky camshaft etc drove it all the way back down from nth of wellsford to papakura

i then fitted a semi built up engine into it which i ran untill about 490,000km then came across a M88/3 m-power engine and have since fitted that into it , which i now have pulled out and fully rebuilding that one with some extra's for more power etc

I figure that you car has still got tons of life in it and just deserves to be driven. The 3.0 engines are very strong and sounds like you have a car that has some of its age-related issues sorted out. Mileage is an interesting one. I have many friends who swear by buying a high mileage car (and I have bought a few too) that has extensive history /receipts. Often when you buy a car that has clocked 200 kms you get a car that has had extensive maintenance work (like your gear-box (or items like suspension)) already.

The only problem really is when you want to sell a car with high mileage - your target market becomes a little smaller! There are some people who would never buy a car with over 150,000kms, irrespective of the car's condition/ history. Sad but true!

Thanks for your feedback. I totally agree!

My E30 325i just had its second cambelt replacement at 253,000 at its running beautifully.

I'm not surprised... isnt that pretty low for an E30? ;):P:lol:

My E30 has done 315 000 odd kms (196Miles)...still starts fine, plenty of power, feels like it pulls strong...just annoying lifter sound haha

A E36 of ours has also done in that reigon.... starts everytime peice of piss...needs abit of maintainence loving tho..coming its way very soon, then it'll run spot on again

IMO, I'd buy nothing over 200km, preferably under 100km or even 50km.

My reasoning behind this is because things after that mileage do tend to be worn be it the interior, exterior, engines, gearboxes start becoming tired. To back this up, we used to have 2 work cars, 01 Mondeo's both cars had done the exact same work, same drivers, one had done 50 something k's the other 230kms the difference between the two cars was immense. Little or no rattles in the lower milaged car, smoother gear changes, smoother ride, quieter engine, tighter suspension, so wear & tear interior/exterior wise.

That's just my 2 cents, it's a personal thing probably, but if someone wants a car done 300km + then it's entirely up to them!

IMO, I'd buy nothing over 200km, preferably under 100km or even 50km.

My reasoning behind this is because things after that mileage do tend to be worn be it the interior, exterior, engines, gearboxes start becoming tired. To back this up, we used to have 2 work cars, 01 Mondeo's both cars had done the exact same work, same drivers, one had done 50 something k's the other 230kms the difference between the two cars was immense. Little or no rattles in the lower milaged car, smoother gear changes, smoother ride, quieter engine, tighter suspension, so wear & tear interior/exterior wise.

That's just my 2 cents, it's a personal thing probably, but if someone wants a car done 300km + then it's entirely up to them!

This entirely depends on the quality of the car in the first place. For example my subaru, after 230,000kms has got no rattles inside whatsover, however mums corolla, purchased at 50,000kms already had rattles everywhere. But thats why toyotas are so cheap :lol:

This entirely depends on the quality of the car in the first place. For example my subaru, after 230,000kms has got no rattles inside whatsover, however mums corolla, purchased at 50,000kms already had rattles everywhere. But thats why toyotas are so cheap :lol:

We've owned more Subaru's than I can count on both hands & we've never owned one without engine problems, mostly headgaskets blowing, they were all well below the 150km mark with the exception of one, NZ New mostly. You're seriously lucky that you have no rattles on your 230km vehicle whatsoever. Even my E53 at 93km has a couple of rattles, my E60 that had about 20km on it had rattles, CLK55 which was a 200k + car had rattles at 70km, Porsche 986 with 60km had rattles, my 2007 HSV GTS Commodore with 17km on it had terrible rattles e.t.c..