Sign in to follow this  
fatjoez

What fuel do you use?

What fuel do you commonly use?  

65 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Heya

Just wanting to hear what fuels people regularly use / their car models they're using them in.

Just wanting to hear peoples thoughts on Gull Force 10 and using it on the new Bmw 135i/335i engines

They're a 3L Twin Turbo (n54 model engine)

I emailed gull customer service and they told me its 90% 95Octane petrol, 10% ethanol, with an overall rating of 98-99

What do you guys think, would this be safe to run?

I've read a massive writeup here about the engine / e85 (85% ethanol) and the guy seems to think it's fine..

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=227652

Thoughts / feedback?

V-Power. Shell have FlyBuys.

I'd just run ultimate in that car...

I run 95 in the E30 just cause'

and 91 in the magnius.

Can't get gull force 10 down here.

I run Caltex 95 or BP 98 in the E30, and Caltex 95 in the Subaru... (Dad works for Chevron :P)

This ^. The people at my local service station are also the kind of guys that will still pump gas for old ladies, and have a conversation about the weather. Wouldn't go anywhere else (unless I have to)

BP Ultimate or Mobil 8000 - my car requires 98 and the wife's car runs better on it (Skoda with extra boosts).

Theoretically the Gull stuff ok, but not keen to try it.

High performance engines on BP 98, everything else Shell 95, have you actually bought the BMW or just speculation?

Gull Force 10 is fine in a modern engine like the N54. Infact you will find that you may get an increase in power.

A friend of mine who works for ST HiTech re-tuned his Nissan Silvia from 215rwkw to 224rwkw just from changing from BP 98 to Force 10. Soichi (the owner) did his own tests and found that Force 10 produced the most power when the car is tuned for it.

BP 98 can be utter sh*t sometimes. In my old Nissan 180SX with 211rwkw I could instantly tell when I got a sh*t batch of BP 98. My knock level would increase. At times it would get so bad there would be detonation. Dump the fuel and get some more from somewhere else and the problem was gone.

BP's 98 is only up to 98. It is not a guaranteed rating. Just what it can reach. And it is quite often no where near that. Mobil is the other way around. It guarantees at least 97.5 on its Synergy 8000.

Only bugger about having a car tuned for Force 10 is that if you can't get any (say when your on Holiday) then you will have problems with high knock levels. But this is only the case if your car has been tuned on Force 10. Road cars don't have to worry.

yep same here

I had a report on Force 10 in a Motorsport New Zealand magazine a while back, and IIRC their results were and increase in overall power and torque for the same engine compared against other fuels, and I think that was with a standard tune rather than having to re-tune to suit the fuel. The only downside was that there was quite an increase in the fuel consumption, I think it was about an 8% increase.

Should be fine in a modern engine like the twin turbo, as it will be designed with the newer fuels in mind, would tread carefully of using it all the time in an older motor, the ethanol content would attack the seals over a period of time.

Used to use Ultimate, now using Force 10. The V8 & hi-performance engines love it, smaller capacity ones couldn't give a sh*t.

Used to use Ultimate, now using Force 10. The V8 & hi-performance engines love it, smaller capacity ones couldn't give a sh*t.

With the priviso that I won't put the Force-10 in the 1970's Porsche, the engine is just too expensive to mess with & I'm sure it wasn't designed for ethanol.

I use min of 95 in the 4.4V8. Seems to run ok, averaged 10.5l/100km to Hamilton and back for the V8's. That wasn't driving sedately either - the tiptronic got a good workout :lol:

i usually use 96.... can anyone chime in with the differences when using 98 compared to 96 in their e30? is it worth the extra cents?

I use 95 or 98 in my Subaru and Evo Pajero...the e36 gets 91(doesn't need any thing more :lol: ) I usually go too BP's as they do AA rewards and i find Fly buys points are useless!

i usually use 96.... can anyone chime in with the differences when using 98 compared to 96 in their e30? is it worth the extra cents?

I havent really noticed anythig, but the "98" ive been using is BP ultimate. Will have to give that synergy 8000 stuff a go..

A few extra cents is nothing when you only fill it twice a year haha.

^ In an E30 if you have motronic 1.1 there is no point putting 98 in as there is no knock sensors to adjust for a different octane fuel. I run BP 95 all the time in my 1.1, sometimes 98 when it is on the track for placebo effect. If you have motronic 1.3, by all means 98 would be more beneficial.

Edited by Hellpina

I use 95 or 98 in my Subaru and Evo Pajero...the e36 gets 91(doesn't need any thing more :lol: ) I usually go too BP's as they do AA rewards and i find Fly buys points are useless!

Do you go to the movies??

We get 30-40 free, movie tickets a year with FlyBuys, free movies is good.

Might look at AA rewards as I would like to run 98 and BP has good Coffee.

Scrap that. It costs $89 a year to become an AA member to get an AA rewards card, Flybuys is free and we get lots more free sh*t. Will stick with Shell Flybuys and go to BP for Coffee.

Edited by Apex

Do you go to the movies??

We get 30-40 free, movie tickets a year with FlyBuys, free movies is good.

Might look at AA rewards as I would like to run 98 and BP has good Coffee.

A few years ago, i worked out that we must of spent 30-40k that year on fly buy point retailers/bill providers and only got enough points to buy a cast iron frying pan and something else small for the kitchen...after that i rarely bother with pulling my fly buy card out anymore!

How many points does a movie ticket cost?

I don’t know, it does comes back to what you spend, if you make an effort to use it you get good rewards. The missus and I share one account, I spend maybe $100 a month on gas where she spends $400, and we use the card at the supermarket and when buying electronics from certain retailers, bills etc, it does work out well.

Would get an AA card but we have Road Side Rescue from State and they give us Flybuys so yea, much of a muchness maybe.

That's true! We were doing groceries, alcohol, petrol, appliance's and bills etc and going out of our way to collect fly buys and was gutted at all we could get, after spending so much.

I use AA rewards more for discount off my car insurance/AA menbership and i think it works out for every 2k spent on points you get $20 deducted from my insurance/AA last year with rewards my AA was fully paid for plus about $100 off my insurance for the year.

Oh and you get discount of loads of places with an AA card.

I guess each too their own and im sure many use both, i just cant be bothered with spending 10k to get a few free movie tickets

Edited by cliffdunedin

^ In an E30 if you have motronic 1.1 there is no point putting 98 in as there is no knock sensors to adjust for a different octane fuel. I run BP 95 all the time in my 1.1, sometimes 98 when it is on the track for placebo effect. If you have motronic 1.3, by all means 98 would be more beneficial.

I only ever ran V-Power in her Nath. Purely for that reason.

I have no idea about e30s, but in my 3S-FE toyota I found on 98 I got 7.5L/100km and with 95/96 I got about 7.9L/100Km. Doing the math back when 98 was about 15cents per litre more than 95 (don't know the difference now) from an economy point of view, 95 worked out cheaper even though its less economical.

However, even though my car had fairly low stressed 16valve 80s engine the performance gains were pretty noticeable. 98 seemed to run so much smoother and there were noticeable low down torque increases.

As stated previously 98 could be a placebo more than anything else.

91 is definitely crap though. Way less power and far less economical. So I always get 95 from caltex.