Sign in to follow this  
*sic

LTSA stance on additional lights and neons

As from February the 27th 2005, optional external lights such as neons or LED's will not be legal on most domestic vehicles.

In addition, you may not operate a vehicle in a manner that causes or is liable to cause:

injury to any person or animal, or

annoyance to any person, or

damage to any property, or

distraction to the driver.

http://www.landtransport.govt.nz/rules/abo...-user-2004.html

y0.

In addition, you may not operate a vehicle in a manner that causes or is liable to cause:

annoyance to any person

lol - how the hell are they going to judge that ?

People that drive those bright yellow cars annoy me, arrest them officer !

Plus you'll also notice that fog lights are now banned or use in daylight with no fog, AND they are bringing in the 5km speed tolerance - bastards!

I'm all for strict enforsement, but not for tightening of the rules. Fine, put a million cameras and cops out to catch speeders, but don't make it easier for people to be law breakers by narrowing the tolerances.

The 5km speeders aren't the problem.

Question has to be asked as to whether the front driving/fog lamps are considered fog lights such as those on the rear of the car. My understanding is that several models of car permanently have the driving lights on when the car is running but since these are driving lights that's okay.

Could the definition of what constitutes a fog lamp therefore be argued in court???

Except that the law states that driving lights must be off when the headlights are on low beams, and must be controlled automatically with the haedlight controls (i.e., no separate switch). This means they can only be on when your headlights are on highs, again, no good for daytime driving.

Foglights cannot be on during clear daytime conditions, and driving lights can only be on when your headlights are on high, therefore - say goodbye to using your fogs.

Edited by bravomikewhiskey

Except that the law states that driving lights must be off when the headlights are on low beams, and must be controlled automatically with the haedlight controls (i.e., no separate switch). This means they can only be on when your headlights are on highs, again, no good for daytime driving.

Foglights cannot be on during clear daytime conditions, and driving lights can only be on when your headlights are on high, therefore - say goodbye to using your fogs.

Not necessarily, it says they must not be used during clear atomospheric conditions, given that that is slightly ambiguous you could argue that clouds constitute non-clear atomospheric conditions, therefore, only on a cloudless day could you not use fog lights.

I'll let you argue that one. Until then my foglights are off. Don't forget that that rules list isn't the legislation, just a translation of it into everday english. Also, judges are supposed to take into account the purpose of the law when interpreting statutes, not just the literal interpretation - the purpose is to avoid dazzling other drivers when the lights are not required. I have a feeling you would lose on that one.

what are they thinking!!!!

personally when I'm on a big long straight on a hot day and its all hazy in the distance, I love it when cars have their lights on, you're not likely to get dazzled in the day, and you know where they are so you don't perform any dodgy overtaking manoevueres (however you spell it)

I'd pass a law to make them mandatory in the daytime before I banned them

a little pet peeve of mine if you hadn't guessed

Agreed.

I always have my headlights on when heading up the country!!

Besides are they going to make every volvo disconnect the headlights from the key!!!!

I'd be glad to see those annoying rice-boy neons & LED's gone though!!!

It's not headlights, just fog lights - you can sttill drive with your headlights on low beams.

y0.

Does that include hot chicks driving?, and other mint Cars, and sweet wheels, and hot chicks driving and hot chicks driving, did i ask about hot chicks?

Agreed.

I always have my headlights on when heading up the country!!

Besides are they going to make every volvo disconnect the headlights from the key!!!!

I'd be glad to see those annoying rice-boy neons & LED's gone though!!!

Pretty much everyone in Holland drives with their lights on day and night, regardless of the time of year.

They even flashed me when I didnt have them on.

Its always welcome when people have their lights on when Im driving INTO the sun, its just the fog lights on permanently when there is no viibility problem that gets on my tits.

Can someone please explain to an old codger what a 'rice-boy', I have a pretty good idea, just not heard the term 'rice' before thats all.

rice- all show, no go. Visually distacefully (if there is such a word) modified. They are two definitions that have stuck with me.

I'm all for anti-rice, but f**k, some of the stupid sh*t on our roads needs to be addressed, yet goes unoticed by the cops.

Lights aren't one of them. If anyone gets distracted by neons or whatever they shouldn't be on the roads in the first place.

Maybe they should ban billboards too :rolleyes:

foglights in daytime are sweet as as far as I'm concerned....

f**kers that have their headlights on high beam during the day is terrible, reckon at times it's worse than highbeams at night....

I think that they should be targeting people that have both their fogs and lowbeams on during the night, It's utterly dumb, lowbeams go further than fogs, so actively cancel out the fogs, just makes it brighter for oncoming traffic, f**ks me off.....

f**kers that have their headlights on high beam during the day is terrible, reckon at times it's worse than highbeams at night....

i dont know anyone that stupid to do it in the day but i can imagine it would suck

yea i did that in the merc at night with high beams on and didnt realise till i stopped .. my bad

As from February the 27th 2005, optional external lights such as neons or LED's will not be legal on most domestic vehicles.

injury to any person or animal, or

annoyance to any person, or

damage to any property, or

y0.

haha i dont mind aye about it all

as long as im not in the car with the neons :lol:

I agree with Martyyn. Fog lights are really for Foggy or damp conditions.

On the whole BMW's have theirs set so as not to dazzle people. However my rears are 55W and bloody bright. The number of clowns driving with these on is amazing and annoying.

I drive with my lights on on road trips, so people can see me coming. Same as a bike, if you ride one with out your lights on, you deserve to be run-over.

And yes, I do ride bikes, so don't abuse me for that comment.