Sign in to follow this  
dirtydoogle

New car hunt

I'm now on the hunt for a new car, as usual I can't make up my mind.

I have started to go off the mx5 idea for the time being as I only want to spend 3-3.5k at the moment.

I've got a few beasties in mind,

e32 7 series

XJ40 Jag, have a massive soft spot for them

What else is worth looking at in that category? Don't want a fairlane ltd, too ugly and beige, same with a statesman.

Nice E34?

I'd have a 535i if it had full leather for the price. But, I want something big.

And I've had two e34's already.

Those XJ jags are rust buckets, I've had one of those, rust around the rear screen like earlier models.

Saying that if that stacks up and the price is right go for it, not as big of a following like BMW and Merc in this country though. The X300 is the model of that range but out of your budget. No doubt you will kepp us informed, an e36 with bigger engine might be the go, or even an E38.

Those XJ jags are rust buckets, I've had one of those, rust around the rear screen like earlier models.

Saying that if that stacks up and the price is right go for it, not as big of a following like BMW and Merc in this country though. The X300 is the model of that range but out of your budget. No doubt you will kepp us informed, an e36 with bigger engine might be the go, or even an E38.

I don't think I'll get another e36 unless I go spend some real coin on a very speccy 2.8 coupe. I can deal with rust, I am a morris owner and a panel beater =P

I want big and comfy. Without buying a lexus. Plus if all goes to plan I will be selling it at the end of the year anyway.

Might have a quick browse at the e38's

E30.

I can't afford a decent tech 2.5.....Wouldn't own a "normal" e30.

E30's aren't big and comfy... Maybe small and bareable.

Seen a few nice spec't E32 735i's for that money.

have a black short wheelbase 750i with tobacco leather interior . sits low ,

had a alot of money spent on suspension and gasgets etc . owned by same family since new ,

grand father brought it new , then father then the son

$3750

Edited by Brent HARTGE535i

Shhhhhhhhhh you.

oh damn 750i.... really want one of those...and im coming to auckland in july...must resist

have a black short wheelbase 750i with tobacco leather interior . sits low ,

had a alot of money spent on suspension and gasgets etc . owned by same family since new ,

grand father brought it new , then father then the son

$3500

I'll PM you

What about a Toyota Soarer? A V8 one of course. they are grunty comfortable and cheap these days.

Have thought about them, but I'd rather a Jag. I have a few mates with them and they have never really impressed me much.

Do great skids though

Theres and XJ40 in Palmy dirty that is quite tidy, haven't attached TM lisitng not hard to find about the only 1 for sale, the maroon one for $3800.

The square and twin headlights are interchangeable, just no-one does it, just an option at new which headlight package you wanted, Rodney rover spares should have a few wrecks for headlight change outs.

They also snap manifold studs as well, so be carefull if that gasket needs changing and the ABS faults are just about throw away the car problems, that's what kills them, if the rust already hasn't.

Still plenty of lucas electronics in them as well, good luck you are a keen man.

I'm selling my E34 525i if you're keen, trade me listing here $2500 and its yours :)

Sorry would only buy a 3.5 I've had two 525i's now.

Theres and XJ40 in Palmy dirty that is quite tidy, haven't attached TM lisitng not hard to find about the only 1 for sale, the maroon one for $3800.

The square and twin headlights are interchangeable, just no-one does it, just an option at new which headlight package you wanted, Rodney rover spares should have a few wrecks for headlight change outs.

They also snap manifold studs as well, so be carefull if that gasket needs changing and the ABS faults are just about throw away the car problems, that's what kills them, if the rust already hasn't.

Still plenty of lucas electronics in them as well, good luck you are a keen man.

That's what I'm after. Do you know the car personally? I'll send them an email =D

No I don't know the car personally, but allot can be said of the sellers ethos and demeneor, you can tell allot about the person by the language and condition of in allot of cases their second biggest asset. Talking about the car listing.

Seller stacks up, you get that what ever it need it gets approach has been applied, you might be able to talk to their mechanic (local) whats the bet it's the same one they have had for 20 plus years.

Quite important in this case as you are buying an old Jag, my marriage would be over if I brought another Jag.

If I was desperate to own a XJ40 again it would be that one.

Also stay away from the 2.9l which increased to 3.2l.

Heres the ones I've owned.

90 XJ40 4.0L Written off - drama

82 Series 3 ZT8367 sh*t loads of rust

66 Daimler EP5497 Huge project

56 MK1 still have ownership papers huge project.

64 MK2 Green brought for $3500 painted the engine bay sold for profit a few months later.

Have found a nice one up in Hamilton in dark blue without the retarded metric wheels. No rust and a good interior, no known mechanical issues. Might buy it when the cheque from the BMW clears

Also that J-gate set up on them IMO is a non event nothing like the steppy in the 39, nothing like it, it does nothing really no manual mode at all.

That maroon one is a 92 Kiwi, 4.0L, I just don't think that shape will grow into money, not that it matters really.

Also that J-gate set up on them IMO is a non event nothing like the steppy in the 39, nothing like it, it does nothing really no manual mode at all.

That maroon one is a 92 Kiwi, 4.0L, I just don't think that shape will grow into money, not that it matters really.

Yeah the J gate is a bit saddening.

I'm not too worried as I'm not keeping it for too long. I really do like the 3.6 motor for some reason though, which may well be what I will buy.

The one at admirals?

He's a nice guy that dealer, been around a while now.

The one at admirals?

He's a nice guy that dealer, been around a while now.

I think so. With the nice wheels.

He safe to buy a Jag off then? I might send somebody to check it out before I commit and go up to grab it

Not sure anyone is safe to buy a Jag off lol, He likes cars that are a bit different has the run of the mill, demio, odyssey, emina, corolla etc, but always has a nice euro or two, see a E32 in the background.

He was a fussy buyer (of cars) back in the day, good idea get someone to look at it first, still at the lower end of the price scale though dude so don't expect a $10k car or anything.

Edited by E39KiwiTouring

Not sure anyone is safe to buy a Jag off lol, He likes cars that are a bit different has the run of the mill, demio, odyssey, emina, corolla etc, but always has a nice euro or two, see a E32 in the background.

He was a fussy buyer (of cars) back in the day, good idea get someone to look at it first, still at the lower end of the price scale though dude so don't expect a $10k car or anything.

I'd have to be a fool to expect immaculate for that price :lol: haha.

Hopefully I end up with a reasonable jag without diff, trans, rust, electrics, engine and interior porblems....

Had another look I would take it to Gary Keith for a PP. Looks alright though worth a punt.

You should be buying a BMW though dude you're type might not be welcome here anymore, you might have to join the AA roadside assist forum, get a loyalty card etc, - AA for quiters aye Doug. lol....