Sign in to follow this  
April

E34 M50 water pump

So here's the story:

I use my e34 as a daily, and over the last 2 weeks or so I've noticed that the engine has been getting rather hot just driving to work (~10 mins) this began to worry me and so I did some research via google that told me it may be to do with the plastic impeller on the water pump. I'm pretty sure this is the case as if i run my heater it cools the engine down pretty fast, so according tothis website the impeller is most likely the problem.

So I went up to Ray at Hell BM and got a nice metal-impeller water pump at a good price.

All seemed well until it got to installing it. Since I've never, ever really done anything like this before I asked my boyfriend James to help me. but... Oh no I can't... not now I need to do my headers... Oh ok tomorrow morning then?? (I need the car to get to work on Monday) Oh sure.

It gets to "tomorrow morning" and now i wake up early etc and ask James for help.. Oh no not now I need to cut up a metal pole to clamp to my exhaust to stop the leak (or something). err... seriously? "yeah I need to take the car to Hampton downs this afternoon to race against my dad!!"

So I've tried to go at it myself. I've spent the last hour trying to get the fan shroud off, but I honestly cant get it off.

any tips? anyone want to come and help me?

TL;DR

need to remove water pump

I'm a mechanical noob

mechanical genius <_< of a boyfriend wont help

need advice to remove fan shroud

Edited by April

Step 1: get the BIGGEST hammer you can find...

Step 2: Go to James' car

Step 3: Stand on the roof of his car

Step 4: Swing hammer as hard as you can into his windscreen whilst jumping and screaming as loud as you can..

Step 5: walk calmly back to your car.

Step 6: get a screwdriver and on the top corners of the shroud you will find some round plastic clips (number 2 in the diagram below). these clips are expanded by a plastic pin through the middle of them.. On the radiator side of these clips place a screwdriver (flathead) and lever gently to press the pins out enough to be able to grip them with a pair of long nose pliers from the engine side of the clip. Remove the pin and then the clip should come out also. then manouvre the shroud up out of the enging bay..

Posted Image

Alternatively wait for James to come home. grab his car keys. lure him outside.. run back inside and lock the door.. tell him to fix it.

Edited by melowpuf

wtf.. what kind of BF is he??.. change of waterpump is only like 1 - 2 hours max...

above picture: two push pins on both side. no.12. need screw driver to push middle pins out then the lock can be pushed out.

although it will be bit hard.

need to remove:

fan clutch + fan. need 32MM wrench + special tool or a makeshift 1.

shroud

waterhoses

fan belt

Edited by Docile

Update: james is home, and sees this thread, now he is keen to help....

I'll let you know the outcome :)

Very easy job to do on the M50, half hour job.

whats the best way to jam the water pump still so I can get the viscous fan off, cant get the bloody thing stay stationary.

either put a flat blade screw driver between the nuts on the pulley, or remove the fan belt and hold it on the pulley filter-wrench-style and spanner in the other hand. remember its reverse threaded

If you do it with the belt still on, sometimes you can give it a quick jab in the right direction (with a rubber mallet) it will crack the nut enough to spin it off.

before i made my special tool copy for it i used a hole puncher and wedged it between the nuts . then used a small diameter pipe to leverage the hole punch.

and the 32mm nut for da fan thread is backwards.

sweet, got it off and pump changed. The bolt was pretty well seized on, but i got it off eventually :)