Sign in to follow this  
swordfish

Xenon low beam light failure message

Hey guys,

I have installed xenon lights on my M3 95 and now I get a “low beam light failure†message on my OBC. I was wondering if you could help me to eliminate it. I went through a variety of threads on all sorts of sites. And there are a couple of solutions out there such as cutting the wires for the check control unit, which I don't want to do. There is one, which I am interested in and it is related to the resistance. Normal bulbs are 55w and have a resistance of 4omh if I am not mistaken; apparently the xenon lights have no resistance and are 35w. I have connected them through the battery and relays not to cook my wires in the car. So the current is 12V. So now I need to find out what is the resistance which is taken as “normal†by my on board computer. Then find the correct resistor and plug it in parallel circuit.

Could you guys tell me if I am correct? Maybe there are more solutions to it, apart from taking them off... What size of the resistor I would need and is it going to work?

I'll really appreciate any help.

Thanks.

Easiest ad most effective way to fix it is to put the standard lights back into the car, maybe some Philips Blue Vision, that way you will have better light and won’t be annoying other road users anymore and the message will go away, you will look less try hard also.

Sort of on topic, while not drawing negativity on the topic whatsoever.

Are Xenon retrofits legal at all? Or are they only legal on cars that come standard with them?

Ok... I knew that there will be someone there who would tell me to put the standard lights back on... I am sure this is a perfect solution and it will not cause any trouble on the road... However I don’t think that my xenon lights with a proper height adjustment and eyelids really do so much damage to my fellow drivers' eyes. I love my xenons and I am not going to get rid of them just by a simple reason that they are way better than standard lights. It was proven that xenon lights provide way better visibility due to the nature of the light produce by xenon bulbs. It's not just in normal conditions, they are proven to be the best for foggy conditions as well. The angel of the xenon lens is much wider as well, which improves side vision at night (which doesn't apply to me lol).

I am sure Germans would not put the xenon on all their new cars if it wouldn't be properly tested and proven to be better than standard lights. However for those who put the aftermarket xenons into their cars, using plug and play sets the problem usually arises due to the standard lens, which is used for a standard bulbs and does not cut a full light spectrum produced by xenons, that’s why xenon sets which are not standard on car can blind you really hard and look bluish or purplish.

Anyway the xenon set I have now is an 8000k and it produces really white colour light and a bit of blue on the sides. I have gone through my warrant no problem since I had them perfectly adjusted and eyelids keep the light going into other people’s eyes. My suggestion for those who are interested in putting some in... Put the 6000 or 4300k ones they are the whitest you can get and nobody will ever distinguish between those xenon bulbs selling in Repco or Supercheap (trust me you will if you will drive the car). The best thing to do if you’ll get hold of some xenon lenses and fit them into your lamp and then put the xenon into them, that’s what I wish I could do, but I couldn’t find any lenses.

I hope this helps for those who are interested :)

By the way I am not trying hard at all. I am just making my car to be what I want it to be. I am not doing it for show, trust me I am not that kind of person.

What type of xenon lights did you fit as this is very important for the quality of light required and other reasons you have stated. On one of the American bimmer sites ( E39) discussing this a wiring diagram for a resistor pack was displayed to get around the warning light problem you mentioned a better solution than cutting wires. It maybe of some help not hard to do I feel didn't strike that problem when I changed mine over.

Hey guys,

I have installed xenon lights on my M3 95 and now I get a “low beam light failure†message on my OBC. I was wondering if you could help me to eliminate it. I went through a variety of threads on all sorts of sites. And there are a couple of solutions out there such as cutting the wires for the check control unit, which I don't want to do. There is one, which I am interested in and it is related to the resistance. Normal bulbs are 55w and have a resistance of 4omh if I am not mistaken; apparently the xenon lights have no resistance and are 35w. I have connected them through the battery and relays not to cook my wires in the car. So the current is 12V. So now I need to find out what is the resistance which is taken as “normal†by my on board computer. Then find the correct resistor and plug it in parallel circuit.

Could you guys tell me if I am correct? Maybe there are more solutions to it, apart from taking them off... What size of the resistor I would need and is it going to work?

Thanks.

Turn off the cold monitoring and the warning message with my NavCoder software

That is the simplest and cleanest way.

Hey guys,

Thanks.

PM me, Have wiring digram to overcome obd message, Fitted HID lights to my 740i, Wow, what a difference.