Sign in to follow this  
dickhead

private firms fining people

OK, so my gf got a 45$ fine for exceeding the 10 minute limit at hornby mall (chch). to me this seems way too steep, especially for such a crappy mall haha. Can private firms fine people more than what it costs to cover their own costs? I told her not to pay it and they then increased it to 60$ and threatened to use baycorp. This is completely stupid as if they can make up the rules what is to stop them from making the fine 500$+ etc then triple it if its not paid on time?

they will be working for the mall owners.As the owners of the mall they can make any rules they like.

Pay it and move on... take the GF out for a nice meal...lifes to short to get wound up by a parking ticket

I know where you are coming from- I paid 8 dollars for 1 hour at princes wharf because the viaduct was shut, then got to my car 11 min late and had a $60 fine, or should I say invoice.

I do not think that this is 'just' at all, perhaps 25 dollars max should do it. Public meters fine 12 dollars.

No they cannot FINE you, but they can invoice and collect on non- payment of that invoice. We enter a contract by parking in their god forsaken parks.

Pretty disgusting really, that unfortunately would simply piss me off aswell. Thieving bastards.

If they ever clamp your car. Use a 10mm allen key (long one) to remove it. Free Clamp. :lol:

If your not one to ignore the problem and let them do and charge what they like. Check to make sure they are the owners of the land. If it is council property they can't fine you.

OK, so my gf got a 45$ fine for exceeding the 10 minute limit at hornby mall (chch). to me this seems way too steep, especially for such a crappy mall haha. Can private firms fine people more than what it costs to cover their own costs? I told her not to pay it and they then increased it to 60$ and threatened to use baycorp. This is completely stupid as if they can make up the rules what is to stop them from making the fine 500$+ etc then triple it if its not paid on time?

As they are a privet company I would think it would be worth a call to the citizens advice burrow.

They can’t send you to Baycorp if the issue is in dispute so write them a letter to start with, ignoring it is the worst thing you can do.

Given you don’t like arguing and can’t be arsd do as Glenn sais and just pay it.

I ended up in a massive dispute with the Auckland City Council over a fine last year, took 6 months of letters and a court appearance to get off it and I couldn’t counter claim costs.

All for a $40 ticket.

Edited by Apex

I love arguing with the council over small tickets when I have nothing better to do. Most of the time they just let you off as they don't want to waste resources pursuing a $14 ticket. And a letter that takes 10 mins to write might save you $14. Hell you could buy some Sushi and a drink with that! ^_^