Sign in to follow this  
tarmac-

E36 3.0ltire performance rebuild options

Hi there.

We have a e36 race car running a 3.0litre engine. The engine is beginning to smoke, its a tad old. Ideally we want a 3.2 engine in the car, however what are our best options in terms of rebuilding the 3.0, to a higher spec, similar or higher power than the 3.2 engine... Or are we best to bite the bullet and put an actual 3.2 engine into it. Is there much scope for increasing power with the 3.0litre engine?

The car is used for track use only.

what hp you getting out of your current engine?

as a reference were getting 250rwhp with an S50B32 which is running a aftermarket ecu. (everything internal is standard)

if CC is your aim, VAC Motorsports sell a 3.4L stroker kit for $7800usd :wacko:

I suggest you have a talk to Graeme @ DCH Motorsport in Christchurch Ph. (03) 3483189 or 0275337016

I suggest you have a talk to Graeme @ DCH Motorsport in Christchurch Ph. (03) 3483189 or 0275337016

Currently @ 237rwhp with exhaust and chip from hi velocity, getting another tune today actually as we speak as it was running far to rich for some reason + added surge tank and hiflow fuel pump.

Say for example we rebuild this engine with higher compression, more aggessive cams, what sort of numbers could we look at, or what do people normally do in their race m3 engines to get more out of them ? Stroking it to 3.4l would mean it'd rev less yeh? . The chassis is now basically complete being rid of alot of weight, so now just need to look at repowering it further, originally was a 2.5

We are up in Auckland.

Hi there.

We have a e36 race car running a 3.0litre engine. The engine is beginning to smoke, its a tad old. Ideally we want a 3.2 engine in the car, however what are our best options in terms of rebuilding the 3.0, to a higher spec, similar or higher power than the 3.2 engine... Or are we best to bite the bullet and put an actual 3.2 engine into it. Is there much scope for increasing power with the 3.0litre engine?

The car is used for track use only.

As a reference and certainly not suggesting this is the best way to go for you.

When I was looking into rebuilding my (at the time) second s50b32 the cost for doing high comp forged pistons rods, bearings and ditching vanos (race car only mod) and going for a set of 284 cams was going to cost around 8k which is the cost of a decent s50b32.

With the setup and correct mapping above you can probably hope to get more power than a standard b32 however your looking at uprated double valve springs and uprated valves and seats, maybe a bit of porting if you want to take it higher. Even the option of boring and stroking it to 3.3 ltr Youll defanitly increase your rev limit and the b30 will be a good engine to do it with.

If your not already running a lighter flywheel / rotating mass I suggest this as it will make a big difference as well. Did this to my b32 and it made a massive difference

If your really anal, you can pay mega $$$ and get the header re-designed to handle the HP in the higher RPM better.

Setting a goal of where you want to land this $$$ wise and how often you want to rebuild it.

You can always switch to an s54 with a throttle cable conversion kit and work that as well.

The days of 'readily' availble expensive s50b32's are numbered as the s54's is about to flood the market.

Have you spoken the Graeme ?

No i havnt spoken to Graeme, i prefer not to waste peoples time if i have no intention of doing any work through them, maybe abit later down the track i'll contact him unless hes someone who doesnt mind sitting on the phone for 30mins detailing everything.. Unless you suggest otherwise. But thanks for the contact.

Would have thought five minutes would give you some direction!

As said by Josh (Hybrid) I would agree with perhaps looking at going down the M54B30 road. Perhaps looking at removing vanos, fitting cams, headers, lightened flywheel, AM manifold, link & Map sensored and tune. I think that it would be worth researching on some of the overseas forums where this is now being done. It's only just starting to happen here and there are a few secret projects going on ATM.