Sign in to follow this  
Shady

Wheel bearings

I need to replace my wheel bearings on my E30 (all 4, both front & both rear - all are disc brakes).

Got prices from BMWarehouse, which is Front- $122ea & Rear- $74ea. They are direct OEM replacements -- genuine German products are $570 & $170 respectively (so I wont be going genuine lol!!)

Does anybody know if these can be tracked down any cheaper, or does that sound about right for an OEM item (the cheaper price)?? BMWarehouse are usually dead cheap compared, but I was still shocked at those prices! I dont even know if its gonna be worth doing anything more to this car...cheaper to buy a tidier, more well maintained E30 and part this one out at this rate of $ I am spending!! And its still a sack of sh-t!

Also got prices for diff seals and they seem all good, price wise.

But said 'Diff Flange Seal' & 'Diff O Ring' (2 seperate items) - which I assume is ONE PER SIDE?

My other question, whats the O rings? Do I need them when replacing the seals? What do they do? ETC.

Am doing 99% of work my self on a car I dont know jacksh-t about, so any advice/help is appreciated.

Can only learn by doing it myself & by asking.

I hate doing wheel bearings, so good on you for attempting them. Do you or do you not have a bearing puller/presser? If you dont and have little patience id pay someone to do it, they are a absolute bitch sometimes, especially if your still rocking the same ones as 20 odd years ago. will probably be easier with one.

Tip i got after putting mine in: put the bearings in the freezer before you put them into the car. Makes it a little bit easier to put into the trailing arms/struts then take a break and let them warm a bit (or use hair dryer) and then put the hub in. (or mount to hub and then put in freezer would probably work too). Not sure if this actually does help but someone will be able to say no doubt

Those prices are on the good side of what i paid for mine so i wouldnt think youd find them much cheaper than that

GL

Its always good to attempt it before paying someone. Otherwise I'd never know if I could or couldnt do it...

I'm sure someone I know would have tools I can use. If all else fails, I'll bride a mate or 2, to help me in the end.

(Have done 99% of what I've done so far by my self [mods & maintenance] apart from fitting the sumpgaurd cos that was a 2 man job no matter what!)

Anyone got answer/s to my diff seals questions?

Malcolm... without the right tools to do this job I can tell you now that it will end up in heartache and alot more expense than you invisage now.... especially doing the rears. Even most garages can't do them. I designed my own hydraulic tools to do this job and they are even better than the BMW tools and won't break. It takes us about 1.5hrs to do a rear wheel bearing with the right tools and we don't use a FBH. We can do the whole job oncar without removing the rear trailing arm assembly. Fronts are not bad to do, but you will need a slide hammer to get the wheel bearing hub off. Diff side seals are quite easy to do once the rear axle is out, but make sure you measure the seal depth and make sure the seal goes in square without damaging it. You don't need the "O" rings for the bearing carriers, just the seals.

Edited by *Glenn*

YUP unless you have supplies and can engineer your own tools Id be taking it down to Glenn, rears are a bitch.

Malcolm... without the right tools to do this job I can tell you now that it will end up in heartache and alot more expense than you invisage now.... especially doing the rears. Even most garages can't do them. I designed my own hydraulic tools to do this job and they are even better than the BMW tools and won't break. It takes us about 1.5hrs to do a rear wheel bearing with the right tools and we don't use a FBH. We can do the whole job oncar without removing the rear trailing arm assembly. Fronts are not bad to do, but you will need a slide hammer to get the wheel bearing hub off. Diff side seals are quite easy to do once the rear axle is out, but make sure you measure the seal depth and make sure the seal goes in square without damaging it. You don't need the "O" rings for the bearing carriers, just the seals.

Glenn - you don't use an FBH?? Thought all good mechanics did :P

Been thinking about it. All that I need for my car, the prices + labour & the small bits of rust (that I personally know exist - probably alot more) that will need to be patched - will be more than what the car is worth.

The bearings alone (without labour) is pushing it. I also need, new shocks/struts & bushes/etc, diff (maybe - but definitely the seals), sparkplug leads, and alot more just havent checked everything yet.... After you add all that up, it aint worth it for this POS. Especially when it needs a full strip down for rust then paint. In the end, its just a 1.8 auto and $ I dont have (now have a baby on the way & my mrs already has 2 kids) with my own Mortgage ontop. I dont have as much $ as I used to have...

So have to put my priorities right. Will be getting my 2 other cars fully mint & legal, sell them off & buy myself a VERY tidy & VERY well maintainted E30 - will find one, one day. But plans are to strip this E30 (keep the good bits & A/M parts) cos I dont want to give this car to someone else who will end up down the same road as me...

So cheers for the advice guys, but Im just not going to bother with it anymore. Just try get my other cars going mint & part this sack out (gotta have at least 1 other car to drive first lol ). So will be posting a forsale thread for bits WHEN I have a car to use (will keeping driving this until 1 other is legal again).