Sign in to follow this  
APT

Canon 1000d

Im looking at buying the twin lens package tomorrow at norman ross for just under $1200 because i am a Camera Noob can anyone give me any advice on whether it is a good package deal ? and how the camera rates against other models/brands. Only after something entry level to get started thanks.

Heres a link to it on the Canon website.

http://www.canon.co.nz/en-NZ/For-You/Digit...000DTwinLensKit

I have a 1000d. It's a good beginners SLR. The colour reproduction isn't as accurate as some more expensive cameras with better CCD sensors, but it takes good shots.

The kit lenses aren't all that great. But the 55-200 is handy for motorsport photography. At the end of the day though, the equipment is only a small portion of what makes a good photo. Having an eye for a good photo is what counts.

Here's a couple of shots I've taken with the camera so you can get an idea of picture quality with the kit lens.

EDIT: First and third shots were taken using a circular polarising filter... helps to remove glare and reflections.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by _Mark_

Hey Thanks for that Mark. Would anyone be able to comment on the price ? it seems cheap for a brand new kit comparing it to trademe prices.

DickSmith - $1098

Print it out and take it to Norman Ross or similar to get it even cheaper! ;)

or

Edit: Harvey Norman - $1134 with Bonus 270EX Speedlight

I would be heading down to get that deal as the speedlight ranges between $250 - $350!!

Edited by 3 SERIES

Harvey Norman and Norman Ross have the same deal but Norman Ross has 30 months interest free! woop woop

To all owners of EOS 1000D cameras, make sure you update the firmware to 1.0.6

Canon Link

If you do not, and the LCD fault occurs, it costs approx $150 for Canon to reflash the EEPROM !!

You have been warned :mellow:

If anybody is too nervous to do the update themselves ( It is easy, really ) I am happy to do it for BS members for freight costs only. B)

Andrew - did you end up buying this camera? I'm looking at the same package, Harvey Norm have 50months interest free ... hard to resist, its either this or a similar priced Nikon Camera, have spent the day looking at reviews etc but its hard to tell them all apart.

I'm a bit of a noob also.

Personaly I'd go for the Canon 450D or 500D.. I looked into these but chose the D5000 because it suited me better... for quite a few reasons. Main one was how it felt to hold and access the varios mode buttons. I also liked the flip & turn LCD.

Ive got this just recently... love it

Nikon D5000, Nikkor 18-55mm AF-S, Nikkor 55-200mm AF-S, Nikkor 85mm AF-S f3.5 ED Micro,Tokina AT-X 124 PRO DX II AF 12-24mm f4, Ball head Tripod, Various Rodenstock filters, 13mm,21m,31mm AF tube set

I also joined the Papakura library and this site :

http://www.hellophoto.co.nz/index.php

I spend most of my spare time now with my new hobby... really getting right into it. I love the competitions too and have done quite well considering I'm just getting back into it, having only had film SLR's many years ago. Apart from the point & shoots cameras I've had recently.

BTW: I have quite a few tuition links if anyone is interested. They have helped me heaps to get on top of things.

Just PM me and I can send them to you

Edited by *Glenn*

Damn Glenn youve got some niiiice glass! Im looking for a new lens when finance allows..

Ended up getting a 1000d package, thanks to JB hifi having it cheap as, then bond and bond matching + throwing in free stuff.

Can you post up some links to some good tutorials Glenn? I'm just getting my head around the basics of the camera so far.

My entry for this months competition "odd one out" have a real good look.. theres more than one oddy

post-1129-1275711531.jpg

Thanks for the links Glenn, that photo is impressive, nicely done!

yea thats beter B)

Damn Glenn youve got some niiiice glass! Im looking for a new lens when finance allows..

Yes.. I know... good glass costs sh*t loads