Sign in to follow this  
_ethrty-Andy_

Swaybars

Hey guys. Been doing a lot of research on suspension, but sway bars dont seem to be covered much, and other than various ways of saying they are "the best dollar for dollar improvement to an E30s handling", no brands or diameters are reccomended.

The car will be used almost exclusively on road, but i do drive spiritedly and alot of twisties (read body roll). For my application what sways would you recommend? will the factory ones cut it or should i invest in some aftermarket ones?

Because its a 320i shell, it didnt come with a rear sway from the factory. So will i have to buy the mounts/connector rods/bushings etc for it or do they usually come as part of the kit?

Am running Billy Sports & H&R Cups with M3 CAB and camber tops (dialed in to almost max camber because of tyres ill be running) up front, and no adjustable alignment out back

Thanks for your help!

Have a chat to Incary or read his build thread.

I think he used Whiteline sways

For anything other than serious track work, the std 325 stuff is more than sufficient. Find a 20mm front and 14mm back, the back should come with the fittings if you get second hand, ask for them.

ps, if second hand, get new bushes and links.

yeah whiteline are the ones im looking at, mainly because they are local and i dont have to deal with importing. quoted $430, cant remember if thats a piece or the pair (forget to write it down) id assume thats the pair though yeh?

Ill PM if he doesnt reply himself :)

If that price is right with links and bushes I'd grab them.

I believe Incary's sways were beefy as f**k. So might want to maybe read else where on sizes if going larger than what Dave suggests

ill confirm the price soon.

is a 320i front sway bar the same as a 325i front? Is the M325i also the same?

The awnser totally depend on what spring rate you are running.

Henry's sway bars matched his spring rate and also his front GC links were most likely welded a lot higher than the standard mount points(similar to the e30 m3). This also increases tension under load.

For fairly standard road springs as dave says the standard bars are fine. If you want further adjustment then look into buying e30 m3 links and rewelding the mount point higher on the strut tube.

I'm running adjustible Ireland engineering adjustible 21/19mmbars but I'm also running a 525/700 split rate with m3 links and struts.

The vert has the biggest std fronts at 21mm, that burnt one in palmy may still be available?

The biggest rears are the 14.5 ones from mtechs and 325s and some 320s.

would the difference between the whiteline ones or the ones Graham suggested over and beyond the OE equipment retrofitted in be worth the extra spending? Its going to handle like its on rails anyway, but like someone said on that linked thread, its only as good as the weakest link.

Not sure on the spring rates, but im sure they are quite stiff.. H&R arent known to put soft rates on thier lowering springs.

If your pricing is close I'd think they're good value. By the time you buy the second hand bits and new links and bushes you may not be a lot cheaper?

if its primarily a road car like you said then i agree with fox, standard 325 ones or whatever will be ample... you can go spending $ on fancy pants big ones and all but it still a road car.....

ohh and from my experience big swaybars either cause sledging and or twitchy rear end.... thats just from what ive experienced tho... i like to run my race car with std front and no rear... works best for me..

325i sways and save the rest $$ to get your m52 running...

Im using 440/650 spring rates and 325 sways. Tis good for road driving and handles awesome.

I got a 13.5mm bar off a forum member cheap, new bushes, links ect. got it all in pretty cheaply!

Made a bit of a difference, but I have stock springs and KYB Gas shocks I think.

I put a larger 23/24?mm whiteline bar on the front of mine and found turn in alot tighter and sharper even when compared to a standard 325i bar with urethane bushes.

To get even better bang for buck and make a new bar worthwile get new front 'links' or repress them in urethane, something I will do eventually, I have heard that it makes a huge difference.

Edited by Hellpina

Hi Andy

we have second hand sway bars if you need them and links etc

Jon