Sign in to follow this  
Deano

Trade me fees

You really notice how much it adds up when you are selling a few things.

They make a huge profit and continue to raise prices and that profit ends up in OZ

They just put up their gallery listing fee up 25 cents to 75 cents

And selling a car a few years back used to be $9

I'm a bit over it and going with the buy sell and exchange and bimmersport.

Nice. But Bimmersport doesn’t have 50,000 active customers.

I sold quite a bit on TM and yes, $50 credit doesn’t go far anymore.

The fees are over the hill full stop. They used to be realistic. Ever since those pricks from Fairfax bought it the fees have continued to rise and rise without any justification. I recently sold something for just under 850 bucks and it was like in total including listing fees of around $55 which is ridiculous. To list and sell a car at auction you need to fork out nearly $100!!!

I wish there was a healthy numbered alternative - I'd switch to them in a heartbeat.

The fees are over the hill full stop. They used to be realistic. Ever since those pricks from Fairfax bought it the fees have continued to rise and rise without any justification. I recently sold something for just under 850 bucks and it was like in total including listing fees of around $55 which is ridiculous. To list and sell a car at auction you need to fork out nearly $100!!!

I wish there was a healthy numbered alternative - I'd switch to them in a heartbeat.

Totally agree. There is no regulation. They have stuff all staff and charge what they want. We need on mass action and that would sort those c@#ts out

Sella is getting bigger by the day.

If you have a quick look at some of the threads in the 'General' message board on Trade Me, you will see a lot of long standing TM members switching to Sella.

I disagree, Yes they are expensive however the system works well and like Apex said where else can you get that big of an exposure for what your selling? And actually sell it.

Its a business not a charity, They are allowed to make a profit.

This discussion has been done to death over the years anyway. If you don't like Trademe then don't use it!

Site stats

People online right now (live) 45,908

No. of active members (live) 2,546,234

No. of current listings (live) 1,534,412

Average time spent on the site* 17 minutes

Number of people who visit each month** 6,051,323

Average number of people who visit each day** 623,970

Busiest day of the week* Monday

Busiest hour of the day*

Trademe rental fees are too high now, to list a flat for rent was $29.95, then $39.95,this December/January gone went up to $69.95, just went to list again & now a whopping $99.95!I sent them an email & said i wont list at that price because small 1brm/2brm flats have a high tenant turnover & to pay $100 a pop is too dear.They replied that they are competitive but will pass my concerns to the marketing boys.

Yep. I don’t mind spending $80 to sell a car for good money in two weeks.

I sell clothing on there when im quite at work as a supplement income and its quite effective, defiantly not complaining about them taking $5 out of every $100 I make.

And they wonder why people try and bypass the auction system...

I use TM lots, both sell and buy because as has been said, they have the coverage. But what gets me is when they say they are "competitive" with their fees, competitive against WHO?

Also, I noticed the prices people expect for second hand goods is often out there.

You could pass on the trade me fees to the buyer..as long as you put it up in the decription

Just up your asking price/reserve price to include them if you were wanting to do that..

Why should the buyer pay for your advertising?

The bigger the audience the higher the price you can fetch for something and from my experiences the extra amount I get for my auctions more than covers the cost.

Usually just start another account if i sell something that going cost me more $40

You could pass on the trade me fees to the buyer..as long as you put it up in the decription

In Tardeme's Listing Policies That is a NO NO.. "Listings fees and success fees are to be paid by the seller. You may not add these fees or other fees onto the winning bid amount."

I would stick to trade me if you want to actually sell something, there are only 40 ish regular members on here, not exactly your biggest market.

Not to mention some are students, and are doing things on the cheap....

Depends what your selling. I sold most of my E30 parts on here real quick and probably wouldn't of got much more on tm by the time you add fees.

The fees pissed me off but not as much as their bs firearms policies

I would stick to trade me if you want to actually sell something, there are only 40 ish regular members on here, not exactly your biggest market.

if you only count people that post...

plenty more lurkers than that

From a business point of view it is still the best "bang for buck" in terms of advertising. Unfortuantely, currently there is no real alternative. It reaches the biggest audience for the least amount of money spent. Trade Me seems to have become ingrained in people's psyche. We spend over $1k a month on listings, store fees and success fees. This year we will also have a stand at Speedshow. To give you an idea of costs - ONE WEEKEND @ Speedshow = TWO MONTHS on Trade Me.

Radio advertising, especially in Auckland is too fragmented, at last count there were over 40 radio stations in the Auckland Region.

From our point of view putting up the gallery pricing will hopefully drive out some of our competition that are finding it hard at the moment. We will have to bear the cost and it also means we will have to become smarter in the way we advertise. We spend a lot of time on Trade Me, there really is an art to listing items and successfully selling them. We are also a store which means poeple can contact us directly and are able to come and view the items before they purchase.

Edited by zenetti

if you only count people that post...

plenty more lurkers than that

This is true though.

LOl at comments relating to the supposed "exodus" to Sella.

Sella will be losing money hand over fist at the moment trying to tempt buyers/sellers over to their site. Do you not think that once they get a decent audience they're going to do the exact same thing as Trademe and bump up their prices to initially cover costs and then make a profit?

New Zealand isn't big enough to succesfully sustain more than one nationwide auction site. = Trademe is a necessary evil and as has already been said, it's still a hell of a lot cheaper than other traditional forms of advertising.

I dunno.

We used to do it through the Trade&Exchange and listing there was free. The rag cost 'bout $2.