Sign in to follow this  
JaseNZ

Brake pad suggestions.

I did a rim clean today (since there was no rain). Getting a bit tired of the black dust accumulating every 3 days or so. I am guessing when the car came over and they did their basic service they threw the cheapest brand on the front they could find.

Any suggestions on what to replace them with that will give me little dust. Oem the best option to go for ??, or is there a better aftermarket brand. Don't know if they do ceramic for mine but don't think i would go that route anyway as don't want to change the rotors as well.

You will either have to machine or replace rotors with a pad change otherwise you run this risk of shimmy under braking. I'd just use genuine pads and teach the missus how to clean E46 wheels :D

I'd just use genuine pads and teach the missus how to clean E46 wheels :D

how to win friends and influence people. :P

how to win friends and influence people. :P

Do you do the dishes and washing as well Jase ???

Do you do the dishes and washing as well Jase ???

Depends on what i am after :lol:

I bought OEM pads from BMW a few months ago for the E36!! And since have noticed that these just create loads of black dust...well loads more than the ones i took off which were higher spec aftermarkets!!

Are OEM/BMW ones always the best to go for?

You will either have to machine or replace rotors with a pad change otherwise you run this risk of shimmy under braking. I'd just use genuine pads and teach the missus how to clean E46 wheels :D

Is that a general rule on all brake pad replacements Glenn?

I bought OEM pads from BMW a few months ago for the E36!! And since have noticed that these just create loads of black dust...well loads more than the ones i took off which were higher spec aftermarkets!!

Are OEM/BMW ones always the best to go for?

what are these said brake pads you speak of?

Is that a general rule on all brake pad replacements Glenn?

With European vehicles... YES

You need to measure the rotors and you need .6mm to machine them normally which may take them undersize. Generally speaking most European disc rotors will only machine once. Get into the heavier or performance vehicles most times you have to replace rotors every time you do disc pads. We did a Q7 last week... front & rear was over $2,000. Last month we did the fronts on a Merc S55AMG was $3,000 for fronts only.

Edited by *Glenn*

what are these said brake pads you speak of?

The guys at Ripco didn't know what they were but after a little research i found out they are PBR axis pads and are known as close to OEM spec but with less brake dust...i just went the OEM route as price wise was fairly close and had no airfreight to wait for! though not particularly happy with the amount of dark brake dust now!

Edit: and looking at service receipts Jeff gray in Welly must have installed them unless they were changed between services...though don't think they would have been!

Edited by cliffdunedin

I was told the genuine BMW ones are the best. I've got aftermarket ones on my from the last onwer. The brake clunks everytime I put my foot on the padel. The dealer said it's becuase the pads are slightly smaller than genuine, so it moves a bit under braking. It's works ok but just very very very annoying! I'm thinking to get it change and thought i'd better wait for them to wear down so i can make the most out of them.......6months on.......still waiting........ <_<

I was told the genuine BMW ones are the best.

For a standard road car... you were given the right answer... genuine are the best

I have to disagree, the OEM ones i have on the 318 creates probably double the amount of dust!

OEM & Genuine are one & the same, just come in diffrent box's & depending on where you get them , can be quite a bit cheaper. Most of the genuine pads are textar brand just not in a Textar box

I have to disagree, the OEM ones i have on the 318 creates probably double the amount of dust!

They work properly... you get dust....clean your wheels more than once a month

:lol: Thats the trouble, I do!! the other non OEM ones on previously (PBR Axis) only needed cleaned because of dust...maybe once a fortnight, compared to the new genuine BMW ones that need cleaned every 2-3 days...In some cases and my opinion, i don't think genuine or OEM ones are always the best option...for me anyway!

Performance Friction Carbon Metallic or Z-Rated would offer more performance and less dust than OEM. Direct fitment for your E36/E46.

EBC pads. Had them on my Touring, after two weeks the back wheels will be black and the front still quite clean.

They worked well for me.

http://www.ebcbrakes.co.nz/