Sign in to follow this  
E30-323ti

Bimmersport Registry

Should there be a register of who's done what??  

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Yes, bigger cars seem to be more stable, that's on the theory that small cars are less stable since when I drove my VW Polo between Hamburg and Bremen on the A7 with it red-lining at 180kph it was like riding an old wooden roller-coaster - all the while big mercs, audis, and bimmers were dashing passed me :(

lol I guess that could be right between bmws of the same vintage, my bros old fairmont almost fell off the road at 140, past 200 was terrible, especially with a trailer!! :thumb:

My old VK was the same - you'd lose steering at around 180ish - 200. Shite aerodynamics.

Guest Andrew

I found 230 kph to be pretty stable in the e30 .. thats around as fast as we were getting at puke 220 - 230.. I've had the thing reading 240 kph, not that I believe it was actually going that quick.

bimmers should be stable at 200kph + carl considering they are designed to do that on the autobahn

bimmers should be stable at 200kph + carl considering they are designed to do that on the autobahn

Yes and no!!! There's a big difference between an autobahn and a NZ highway for a start. Stock bimmers (let's exclude 325i's and 318is's for a sec here) aren't setup for those speeds (200kph+), but the car itself is fully capable of being setup to do so.

There's a few things that the 325i and 318is have that the rest of the E30's don't have that give them more stability, like the larger shocks and anti-sway bars etc...

E: I suggest you try a stock E30 323 out in comparison to yours, I think you'll find there is a few differences :)

Edited by ///Carl

carl is right there is a reason besides looks while proper m cars and sports variants have those subtle aero aids....Glens biggest problem will be the fact that his intercooler has precluded any aprons,there will be too much air getting under the car,i hope he has bonnet clips next time he tries.....

most e30's (320+) have sway bars, and stock suspension in decent condition (ie not bouncy shocks) is fine for 200k......and the whole southern, northern and Nwestern motorways up here in auckland are as good as autobahn....just need to do something about the drivers!

200 was/is fine, it's when you still pulling past 240 to 250 that is gets a bit sketchy.

That was with the shocks etc... you have now carl, which are alot better than a stock Mspec'd 325 or M3 for that matter!!

200 was/is fine, it's when you still pulling past 240 to 250 that is gets a bit sketchy.

That was with the shocks etc... you have now carl, which are alot better than a stock Mspec'd 325 or M3 for that matter!!

Yes, but only 325i's, 323i's, and 318is's came with rear sway bars, I dont have one...yet :)

At 200kph it's not the shakes (thanks to the konis) that's the problem, it's the damn lofty rear-end feeling from not having a rear swaybar or rear wing!!!

Sway bars won't do anything for straight line stability (arguably they could upset it more as if one wheel hits a bump it will force the other up aswell and add a pitching motion to the car...)

Sounds like you need a nice big rear wing then Carl. And then more power to push it through the air. And then more power just for fun. Muuuuwwwaahhhhhh

P.S I don't think anyone needs to worry about being beaten by Glenn, he is unable to keep the car driveable for more than 20mins before it "needs" another upgrade.

:finger:

Everything "Needs" an upgrade!!

I'm still waiting for my "Gran Turismo " garage, then it can be done with a click of a button, ahhh dreams are free.

pffft, well now boats either then Martyyn :P

....snip....

I've had the E30 off the clock (+140mph), they aren't very stable at that speed I might add!!

Definitely not something to try in a uncontrolled environment!!

BOAT !

Thats harsh :o

As for stability, I had one arm of the center rest, one finger on the steering wheel and was chatting away to my wife quite happily whilst doing 135 mph in the 750iL.

It wasnt even trying. But once I realised I could get quite used to the 'cruising' speed I remembered what it meant for the police to be caught at nearly twice the legal limit !

Its quite amazing the difference a decent amount of weight makes. How much do you boys come in at anyway ?

I may have 289bhp but with almost 2 tonne to pull around Im not going to be winning any 0-60 times !

As for stability, I had one arm of the center rest, one finger on the steering wheel and was chatting away to my wife quite happily whilst doing 135 mph in the 750iL.

dont you just love that about 7's? ^_^

pffft, well now boats either then Martyyn  :P

....snip....

I've had the E30 off the clock (+140mph), they aren't very stable at that speed I might add!!

BOAT !

....snip....

Its quite amazing the difference a decent amount of weight makes. How much do you boys come in at anyway ?

I may have 289bhp but with almost 2 tonne to pull around Im not going to be winning any 0-60 times !

I though "Boat" was being polite as they are normally known as "Barges", much more derogatory I'd say. :D

I'd say the E30 would be ~1250kg, Andrew's is sub 1100kg I think??

What does a 750iL weigh? 2200kg?

....snip....

BOAT !

....snip....

I though "Boat" was being polite as they are normally known as "Barges", much more derogatory I'd say. :D

Barge :lol: sorry M, barge is funny :)

E30's stock are 1280kgs - The coupe is lighter than the 4door (yes the coupe is lighter, it's in the f**king owners manual) which is only a 20kg difference.

Yes Sam, I do need a rear wing, anyone got a spare mtech2 wing floating about???

Perhaps we should simply have a spreadsheet sitting in a sticky thread containing all our records???

Stick the gear ratio s/s in there aswell :)

Guest Andrew

....snip....

BOAT !

....snip....

Yeah mine is 1070.. with full tank of gas and spare steelie. I'm sure with more ripped out I could get very close to 1000 kg.

Yeah my e30 owners manual put the 325 in around 1300 .. more if its more optioned up with sport seats etc.

One of the stock seats weighed more than both my current Jamex seats.

Boat....barge....I prefer to think of it as total luxury :P

The e32 750iL was supposed to come in at around 1900kgs with the cross spokes on it (I think you call these basket weaves). I had the 17' Alpinas so that would add more than a couple of kgs extra. Those things were huge :mosh:

The e38 740 is supposed to come in at around 1940kgs if I remember correctly. I was surprised as the 750iL has an awful lot more toys to play with and its considerably longer aswell.

I imagine the 18' Mpars would make a difference to the standard weight aswell.

Last time at the weighing thingy dad's car sits at 2350KG with me and him in it .. and at 240kph it's still sweet to drive with one hand ...

what does a car do?

my comments at the last manfield breifing:

steve: cornering, braking,

(TIM, yells out), picking up chicks.......

everyone laughs.

steve: where do put your hands on the steering wheel?

(TIM, yells out again), one hand on the top of the wheel and the other round your missis.

everyone laughs.

PWND!!!11!!!

registry sounds like a good idea.

....Yes Sam, I do need a rear wing....

Well, you could have this:

Posted Image

or this:

Posted Image

or this: (mobile picnic table)

Posted Image

So sexy:

Posted Image

Or just not at all - bro you dont need a wing - they just add weight (ist that somthing you are trying to save on?)