Sign in to follow this  
westie88

hybrid bimer

Imagine driving that sh*t round town - umm, could you back your car up a bit, I'm just gonna try and parallel park in that bus stop. :D

Well why didn't you inform us sooner then?

I must report this gross misconduct to the board. B)

Sudo - prob, it was only a modified 7er engine, so if you were prepared to fill your boot with hydrogen stuff and batteries it would prob fit.

Well why didn't you inform us sooner then?

I must report this gross misconduct to the board. B)

:lol:

Because i didn't see fit to repeat what has already been read by most BS members in magazines...............

Just a question ... those hydrogen powered cars ... do you just fill them with water ? or does it NEED to be pure hydrogen to work ?

Just a question ... those hydrogen powered cars ... do you just fill them with water ? or does it NEED to be pure hydrogen to work ?

They run on fuel cells, cannisters of hydrogen which acts just like fuel in that you still need a carburettor or EFI type thingee to get the right mix of air and hydrogen, but the beauty of it is the only by-product is water, no dangerous acids meaning the engine oil won't need replacing as much and the exhaust won't rust any where near as quick.

I quite like the prospect of running on fuel cells purely for it's green running and because it sounds so sci fi.

They run on fuel cells, cannisters of hydrogen which acts just like fuel in that you still need a carburettor or EFI type thingee to get the right mix of air and hydrogen

wtf?

Fuel cells work by using hydrogen to create electricity. You have an electric car. there is no combustion, no cylinders, no carb or fuel injection. It uses a chemical reaction to mix hydrogen and oxygen which turns to water vapour (H2O - Hydrogen x2 Oxgen x1) the result is a small amount of electricitry produced. Do this alot and you have enough to power a car.

There is emerging fuel cell technology to power cellphones and laptops (cool, a cell phone with an exhaust pipe!)

Hence why it is called a cell - i.e. battery cell.

True you will need to get the hydrogen - oxygen mix right, but it won't be by using a carb or EFI, it will be controlled by the chemical reaction itself.

You will fill up with pure hydrogen at fuel stations, and away you go.

Fuel stations will either produce their own hydrogen on site, or have it trucked in like petrol is now.

Problem with hydrogen is, it requires as much electricity to create as it produces (actually more - as energy is always lost, not gained Newtons Second Law)

So, as we use fossil fuels to produce electricity to produce hydrogen, we are back to square one. hydro, wind and solar power are all options of course, but each has it's own drawbacks and environmental ramifications (eg hydro involves the f**king up of river systems, wind is unsightly and uses lots of space, solar is so inefficient)

So, we are a long way off hydrogen being a practical reality.

By the way, when using Google to remind me which of Newtons laws was the one I wanted, I stumbled accross this page.

Damn funny I love:

Newtons First Law

If something is not moving it will stay where it is.

Kick your sister in the shins. Go on, do it now. You will see that she reacts.

Let's just think about what happened there. If you hadn't kicked her, she would have stayed where she was, probably sitting in front of the telly eating cakes. Hence, the first law is proved.

oh and the slogan at the top "If it's not here, it doesn't exist"

LMAO!!! :lol::lol::lol:

Edited by bravomikewhiskey

COME ON!!! While i'm not sure about how the air fuel mix is created the fact is you still need an air fuel mixture and you still need combustion to turn H and O2 into H2O, the chemical reaction won't work by itself, and it's the combustion (internal) that drives pistons which creates your POWER. (edit)

Edit: mixed up f**ked up. BMW does use a hydrogen internal combustion engine!

Edited by ///Carl

don't they just run a huge diesel powered gen-set that powers electric motors to drive them :huh: ??? same as mine trucks (caterpillar in macraes gold project, komatsu in huntley coal)

COME ON!!! While i'm not sure about how the air fuel mix is created the fact is you still need an air fuel mixture and you still need combustion to turn H and O2 into H2O, the chemical reaction won't work by itself, and it's the combustion (internal) that drives pistons which creates your electricity.

It's exactly the same electricity producing technology that's in our diesel trains except the fuel is hydrogen.

Bravo is right, fuel cells produce electricity by chemical reaction which then power an electric motor, no combustion is involved.

The BMW engine is a combustion engine that burns hydrogen instead of petrol, pure hydrogen is stored on board (think of it like CNG say) no fuel cells are involved.

COME ON!!! While i'm not sure about how the air fuel mix is created the fact is you still need an air fuel mixture and you still need combustion to turn H and O2 into H2O, the chemical reaction won't work by itself, and it's the combustion (internal) that drives pistons which creates your electricity.

It's exactly the same electricity producing technology that's in our diesel trains except the fuel is hydrogen.

Bravo is right, fuel cells produce electricity by chemical reaction which then power an electric motor, no combustion is involved.

The BMW engine is a combustion engine that burns hydrogen instead of petrol, pure hydrogen is stored on board (think of it like CNG say) no fuel cells are involved.

BMW uses hydrogen in an internal combustion engine

So my first post was correct in that their must be some type of air fuel mixture device, thank you Bravo, I just got the fuel cell and fuel mixed up.

6L? 210kW 0-100 in 6 seconds? hahaha

considering 325 has 2.5L, 120kW and 0-100 in somewhere between 7 and 8 secs, thats sh*t

fossil fuelz for life

holla

fossil fuelz for life

sth, you are so insensitive to the environment :gay:

Guest Andrew

the ideal powered car would be a fuel cell which converts H20 into H which is then combusted in a standard 4 stoke engine. I think the current emphasis is on better hydrogen cars - then manufacturing hydrogen (which is the real problem, as your burning more fossil fuels to make the H as bravo stated before)

Last time we made hydrogen by using sunlight to split the H20 - It would have taken days to get enough H to fuel a car.

the ideal powered car would be a fuel cell which converts H20 into H which is then combusted in a standard 4 stoke engine. I think the current emphasis is on better hydrogen cars - then manufacturing hydrogen (which is the real problem, as your burning more fossil fuels to make the H as bravo stated before)

Last time we made hydrogen by using sunlight to split the H20 - It would have taken days to get enough H to fuel a car.

Electric cars are way more efficient but people tend to say that the process of getting the electric energy into the car reduces the efficiency of them. WTF, like the process of getting oil out of the ground, shipped to shi country, refined in a factory, transported to a fuel station, pumped into a tank then pumped into your engine doesn't actually make the efficiency of a petrol something closer to 5%

I'd prefer hydrogen combustion engines though, what fun is an electric car compared with combustion noise!!! Brooom brrooooommmm

Not so much the getting of the energy to the car, but the production of it. You don't use much fossil fuel to mine an oil well once it is found (i.e. the intial costs are minimised when spread over the life of an oil field), but the cost of "manufacturing" hydrogen is always the same i.e. high, PLUS, the cost of shipping hydrogen to filling stations is somewhere in the order of 10 or so times that of fossil fuels as hydrogen takes up so much more space physically to provide enough to give the same motive power. Weight-wise, less, I believe, but it is something like 20 times less dense even when compressed for shipping. So one oil tanker of petrol to the petrol station becomes 20.

I have a reference for all this info if you would like to check my figures.

But you are right in that people do tend to ferget fossil fuel doesn't magically bubble up out of the ground at the servo ready to go.

And, you are right, the hydrgoen engines are several times more efficient than regular internal combustion engines, so in that way there is a saving. But, overall, there is not a substantial environmental benefit, alothough it is getting better all the time as methods are refined and technology is improved, so we will get there eventually IMO.

In case you haven't noticed, this is a pet topic of mine.

Oh, and as far as the noise goes, as long as they make electrice cars sound like the pod racers in starwars, I'll be happy **makes pod racer noise**