Sign in to follow this  
tire

E30 bonnet insulation

So I was just having a browse around on pelican parts and stumbled across 2 options for replacement E30 bonnet foam that are far cheaper than the $300 + it costs from bmw in NZ.

Aftermarket - $34 US / $51 NZ at current x rate

Genuine - $82.25 US / $123.42 NZ

They've also got bonnet shocks for $12.50 US, which I don't need but I'm sure a few of you will.

The one review on pelican says the aftermarket one is quite thin, which could mean more heat transfer to the bonnet (brings the paint up all funny after a bit) and less sound deadening. If it is indeed shitter then I'll be leaning towards the genuine one. Will have to look further into that.

Post if you're keen and say which option you would prefer and we can group our shipment in a month or so.

Max.

Edited by tastic

are they actual straight foam like stock, or have some sort of covering over them? ill be in if they are covered. foam looks like ass

I saw someone use aqua turf once...

Max, if you do a pelican order, I'm keen to join in, want some PFL rear tail light foam gaskets

Count me in on the genuine one

I might be interested, but how to i get the old foam off? I tried pulling it off, then scraping the sticky crap off, but it wont come off and now it still looks whorey.

What do you use to get it off?

Cheers

Just go to para rubber and get either an EVA skin, 2m x 1m for 10 bucks, or get some of the aluminium covered eva, looks badass, like 10 bucks a metre I think.

Some old dude did an old merc and came back the next day to tell me how well it worked, just an idea.

The eva skin resists 80 degree, and the aluminium one does 120

Just go to para rubber and get either an EVA skin, 2m x 1m for 10 bucks, or get some of the aluminium covered eva, looks badass, like 10 bucks a metre I think.

Some old dude did an old merc and came back the next day to tell me how well it worked, just an idea.

The eva skin resists 80 degree, and the aluminium one does 120

Sweet tip, I'l give that a go first.

Yeah the skin is normal eva on one side, and closed cell on the other, so should do ok, but the aluminium coated stuff is basically heat shield foam, and id be suprised if that was sh*t.

Not many para stores around, i work in the palmy one haha.

I might be interested, but how to i get the old foam off? I tried pulling it off, then scraping the sticky crap off, but it wont come off and now it still looks whorey.

What do you use to get it off?

Cheers

i used prepsole and about 2 hours of scraping with a spatchula(spelling fault) cracked my sking from drying up but looked awsome once done.

Someone post pics of these alternatives once done please?

Or have we got enough interest in the OEM foam?

I'd be keen for 2 x OEM

Haven't gotten around to it as I've been busy with exams. They are all done with now though so I will look in to the para rubber thing next week and if that gets no result we shall make an order, most likely on the genuine option given people replies so far.

Me.

Wouldnt the engine bay get hotter than 80 degrees which would damage the EVA rubber?

If not, im going to give it a try

Haven't gotten around to it as I've been busy with exams. They are all done with now though so I will look in to the para rubber thing next week and if that gets no result we shall make an order, most likely on the genuine option given people replies so far.

Me.

Give us a text when your doing this, I'll lend a hand/want to see what it looks like :P

Will do Lucan.

Wouldnt the engine bay get hotter than 80 degrees which would damage the EVA rubber?

If not, im going to give it a try

Dunno, but is if that is the case the ali covered stuff sort it.

Trial and error :D

Edited by tastic

Will do Lucan.

Dunno, but is if that is the case the ali covered stuff sort it.

Trial and error :D

Anyone know the price of the aluminum EVA compared to standard then?

Time to find a para rubber and a free weekend day :D

I'm looking into getting a roll of this stuff, will keep you posted

Jon

from memory i think its bout 30 bucks a metre, and its 137cm wide i think, would definately work out cheaper if you got it wholesal through dunlop. like less than half that

Might be doing it this wekend.