Sign in to follow this  
deeveus

Epic government fail?

Dont bag ACC too much - for all its problems and cast, we are very fortunate to not have a litigious society like the US (or even Australia).

Dont bag ACC too much - for all its problems and cast, we are very fortunate to not have a litigious society like the US (or even Australia).

A friend of mine who works for ACC, told me that this time last year they all received memos about reducing costs. Most centres had crazy ideas of cutting costs (reusing tea bags...not quite) but the Rotorua branch said they will stop getting catered morning teas... :lol: yeah, lets not bag ACC haha

It's still cheap compared to other countries... try Singapore

Or the UK, when I moved over to NZ I was paying less in dollars for rego than I was in pounds for Road Tax and the exchange rate was just under three to the pound. There was a lower cost "classic" car tax for anything over 20 years old which would suit my E30 down to the ground.

Compulsory insurance as well, no Road Tax without proof of insurance, which adds lots of $$$s to the bill for just a few kms per year. Limited use policies are possible but still not cheap. The first policy I got in NZ for a Legacy GT-B the lady at the AA said "those are quite expensive, its $420 fully comprehensive" and I LOL'd my 9 year old diesel Pug cost me twice as much as that 3rd party only in the UK!! All down to the ambulance chasers.

Why must the ACC levy be payed for the car? The car doesn't need medical attention. We should be paying an ACC tax on our lisence each year, that way for people with multiple vehicles, we don't go broke. The LOGICAL thing to do, is to pay ACC on our lisence isn't it? We can't drive/crash/maim/murder etc in more than one vehicle at a time. Stupid money grabbing tyrant of a system, I'm going to write to them and call them iconoclasts and ectoplasms and other unfriendly names! There are many issues I could warble about with the way ACC gets it's "greedy hands" [Nobody ever mentions how helpful they are! I have had multiple back operations thanks to ACC, if I never got them I would bwe even more of a mess] on our money and how it distributes said money.

At the end of the day, sic friatur crustum dulce.

I may be wrong in saying this, however I would say that ACC pays out more money for injuries that are unrelated to road accidents... the money has to come from somewhere though. Just like the tax on cigarettes & alcohol, its used for other "things"

Ducteater: I've had the opposite side of ACC i had my shoulder surgeries declined by ACC despite having surgeon and GP letter debunking their claims. End of the day i've got full private medical cover that i pay for as i can't count on getting my potential injuries covered by ACC.

I was at a doctors with a friend getting his arm looked at as it was hurting him a lot, the Doctor told him to just make a story up and it will be covered by ACC, so if he needs time off work they will pay for it and my friend wouldn't need to use his A/L.

National is picking up the tab for the fails of Labour, but I really don't like their aggressive approach to the increases. In the last month the ETS has come to power and so has the increases in vehicle registrations and in a few months time the GST will rise another 2.5%

I think alot of business are going to hold off increasing their pricing until the GST rises come to town, I think it's going to add an horrific amount to commodities i.e Food, Fuel which is a large sector of a families expenditure. Costs of transportation and deliveries will rise because it is both a player of ETS and GST increases.

Any increases of petrol/GST or whatever, I love it how Dunedin goes into a total lock down immediately post announcement of any increases. The streets here become dead and retail takes a huge smack on the ass.

As a business owner I'm not looking foward to it at all.

Edited by Clinton

Welcome to the changing economic face 21st century NZ .

It doesn't matter who is in power the two main party's both have stuffed the NZ citizen around in one form or another with their ideas of what is right for NZ. The slow transformation of New Zealand from a totally social dependent country( government takes care of you through social welfare) to a ever increasing user pay's situation is still on going to this day along with all the other world wide issues this country will experience (World recession). This government rightly or wrongly is only trying to balance the books in their eyes . It is a bitter pill to swallow as you tighten your belt repeatedly just to stay in the same spot or go backward a few steps on the economic ladder of life so to speak.

As for specific issues Acc/ car rego, GST rates E.T.S yes each has to be administered carefully to obtain the best value from each tax payers dollars. This in most cases hurts as your income is squeezed tighter with every increase and a rise in your income is not necessarily the answer as this only fuels the inflation spiral. It is a complex situation and brainier people than I have struggled with it and still have not found an answer to satisfy every body.

If we are headed for a user pay's society I would like to see a far better/ fairer administration system put in place. To address the issues of distribution of the revenues gathered and the level at which each company and individual pays for their Acc, car reg, etc .

A complex situation with no easy fit I feel but a fair bit of pain still to come oh that's life and on that note lets go for blat!!! haha.

As a small business owner , im going to add it on to the bottom line .

A lot of the ACC woes is related to the changing model of funding.

The acc aint broke it has massive reserves and successful investments.We went through all this when the govt/acc tried to put up motorcycle ACC levies up over 1000 for over 600 cc motorbikes.They went up a bit and they will prolly put them up again and again over the next few years.As Allan says its hard being a small country with big shoes to fill.Our whole population is Barely more than a decent city.

Why must the ACC levy be payed for the car? The car doesn't need medical attention. We should be paying an ACC tax on our lisence each year, that way for people with multiple vehicles, we don't go broke. The LOGICAL thing to do, is to pay ACC on our lisence isn't it? We can't drive/crash/maim/murder etc in more than one vehicle at a time. Stupid money grabbing tyrant of a system, I'm going to write to them and call them iconoclasts and ectoplasms and other unfriendly names! There are many issues I could warble about with the way ACC gets it's "greedy hands" [Nobody ever mentions how helpful they are! I have had multiple back operations thanks to ACC, if I never got them I would bwe even more of a mess] on our money and how it distributes said money.

At the end of the day, sic friatur crustum dulce.

Welcome to the changing economic face 21st century NZ .

It doesn't matter who is in power the two main party's both have stuffed the NZ citizen around in one form or another with their ideas of what is right for NZ. The slow transformation of New Zealand from a totally social dependent country( government takes care of you through social welfare) to a ever increasing user pay's situation is still on going to this day along with all the other world wide issues this country will experience (World recession). This government rightly or wrongly is only trying to balance the books in their eyes . It is a bitter pill to swallow as you tighten your belt repeatedly just to stay in the same spot or go backward a few steps on the economic ladder of life so to speak.

As for specific issues Acc/ car rego, GST rates E.T.S yes each has to be administered carefully to obtain the best value from each tax payers dollars. This in most cases hurts as your income is squeezed tighter with every increase and a rise in your income is not necessarily the answer as this only fuels the inflation spiral. It is a complex situation and brainier people than I have struggled with it and still have not found an answer to satisfy every body.

If we are headed for a user pay's society I would like to see a far better/ fairer administration system put in place. To address the issues of distribution of the revenues gathered and the level at which each company and individual pays for their Acc, car reg, etc .

A complex situation with no easy fit I feel but a fair bit of pain still to come oh that's life and on that note lets go for blat!!! haha.

Quality posts.

281.61 Just got my letter today...

Breakdown.

Licence Fee - $43.50

Acc Levy - $198.46

Other Levies $1.64

Admin - $6.72

GST - $31.29

f**king National... Didn't they f**k the country over last time?

Sweet, so now I pay half my cars value in registration, and the other half in insurance. Go me.

Lucky not in Uk old top gear 4last nite 8000 quid for insurance on turbo 2000 quid car ??????? & its compulsory

the increase in acc levies on vehicles is nothing when you look at how much the levies for businesses are going up (some industries are going up by 80%!!)

and it's only the first round of increases

acc is billions in debt and this round of increases wont be anywhere near enough to fix it, whether it be car rego or earner's levies

ps. for you business owners, did you know you can get discounts on your acc levies by requesting an audit from acc (which you have already paid for by paying acc levies)

there are 3 tiers of savings ... 10%, 15% and 20% ... depending on what health and safety protocols and procedures you have in place (and it's very very easy to get the 10% discount)

the increase in acc levies on vehicles is nothing when you look at how much the levies for businesses are going up (some industries are going up by 80%!!)

and it's only the first round of increases

acc is billions in debt and this round of increases wont be anywhere near enough to fix it, whether it be car rego or earner's levies

ps. for you business owners, did you know you can get discounts on your acc levies by requesting an audit from acc (which you have already paid for by paying acc levies)

there are 3 tiers of savings ... 10%, 15% and 20% ... depending on what health and safety protocols and procedures you have in place (and it's very very easy to get the 10% discount)

Mine are due in a week or two. Thanks for this & I'll be seriously looking into it. How they come up with their figure is totally beyond me without any research or examinations on my company.

have a look at these links

http://www.acc.co.nz/for-business/small-me...y-less/BUS00054

http://www.acc.co.nz/for-business/small-me...ounts/index.htm

a link to a list of auditors

http://www.acc.co.nz/for-business/small-me...y-less/BUS00056

and also this might be useful, but do not do this without professional advice as it isn't good for every business

http://www.acc.co.nz/for-business/small-me...y-less/BUS00052

let me know if you want to get professional advice, I can get someone to contact you (they will charge a fee but they are very good)

Edited by Wom