Sign in to follow this  
johnm51

Do I buy an import? DoI have a choice?

Ive has a 99 e46 328ci (as in my signature) for 2 years without any major issues while i had it around 140-180k's

and also a 2000 e46 328ci NZ new for a year or so with no problems either.

seems to be fine to me but im no expert either.

ive looked at trademe and there seems to be a number of decent 328ci's around year 99, 2000, priced around the 14-17k mark

just a matter of having a look in person, get a feel of how it drives and go from there.

that being said, when i test drove a 02 e46 facelift 330i motorsport sedan, it was a whole different feeling.

something from a different world compared to the ones i had b4.

but prices go anywhere around the 20k mark so...

Weren't the e46's of these prone to the dreaded read sub frame failure.

Thats what happened to my one, however BMW NZ have kindly sorted that out for me.

I remember that, gave me the shits so we had mums looked over by a professional and all was well, hers has been old lady driven since new though.

Was your car NZ new?

I remember that, gave me the shits so we had mums looked over by a professional and all was well, hers has been old lady driven since new though.

Was your car NZ new?

Yep NZ new, and I guess my cause was helped by the fact that I had no mods, all stock standard.

Imported mine 2.5 years ago from Japan with history 40kms on clock. On road for 14k, do the maths, never missed a beat, not a mark on it!

Here is a good nz new smg 330ci , Maybe over your price range but very well spec'ed and a good service history.

>>Trade me link click here<<

Hi guys had a few days away so just catching up. Jason the SMG model seems odd to me as it is listed as a 2003 but the pre-delivery paper states it is a 2002. What puzzels me is it has a 2001 front?

Thanks for your comments on the blue 330. Guess I just fell in love with the colour and the wheels.

Edited by johnm51

Interesting comment from Clinton re fitting Jap imports with hour meters. I have a 2001 E39 I privately imported from Japan in dec 2005. Nicely specd was complete with most keys etc but not with full documentation. So I am going on for 5 years local experience with minimal troubles (touch wood)

When I landed it I had BM Workshop run a full DIS diagnosis and on recently looking at the printout again I see that for many of the fault records the DIS lists how many (operating?) hours since the fault occurs,at least I think thats what it means. Seems to me that somewhere in the DME there is a record of total operating hours. Having this hours figure and the total mileage some simple maths would give a good picture of the cars history in Japan. Any comments from the knowledgeable ones?