Sign in to follow this  
crshbndct

Heel / Toe.. how do you do it?

how do you heel toe?

i am strange in that i use my heel on the acceleratot pedal, and toe on brake.

but when i rest my foot normally, it heel in front of brake, leaning over to push gas pedal.

just wondering..

also, who finds them self heel/toeing whenever they drive? i do after track days. lol

Heel toe is always ball of foot on brake, heel/side of foot on accelerator. Just youtube some clips of race drivers to see how it's done.

Don't know how you'd do it the other way unless you're double-jointed or something!

ball of foot on brake, heel/side of foot on accelerator.

But with the foot at a slightly "twenty-five-past-eleven" angle

Could cause more harm than good on public roads IMO. BMW's weird floor pivot accelerator pedal doesn't help either.

you will find most factory cars pedal's are not easy to do this, unless you have a really big feet!

I find BMW's are actually alot better than japanese stuff for this! I must have bigger feet than Quailboy :lol:

But the best place to get practice is all the time! so....get a good quality pedal kit...throw it in your road car. I always try to position the brake as close to the right as you can to make it easier.....

sometimes it only takes a few mm closer to make all the dfference.

http://www.diseno-art.com/tutorials/heel_and_toeing.html

I pretty much heal toe always when the rev's are up.

Edited by M5V8

I don't think there's a right or wrong way ... simply whatever you are comfortable with.

I tend to toe both the brake and accelerator at the same time and I don't even have big feet(i.e. roll my foot over to the accelerator to rev match)

On bimmers I find toe on the brake and heel on the accelerator lot easier given the floor pivoting accelerator setup, on the jappers you could do both I think.

i usually heal toe while driving... always when racing. i use toes on brakes and arch of foot on gas. thats just what works for me tho.

Not really relevant but does anyone brake with their left foot in autos? I have a mate whos done a fair bit of motorsport nationally and internationally who left foot brakes and i just find it weird as.

I quite often left foot brake in my series car. Everything counts in my car. Not as powerful as the others.

And I quite like the floor mounted pedal. Only thing I hate is that in my bucket seat the pedals are off to one side a little. Going to modify this before the next season.

im a left foot braker personally.

miss spent youth of go carting

^^^^ yep quite often left foot brake in auto's , no real pattern as to when though

As far as heal/toeing - not tried a lot & definitely not mastered

I always "rev match" downshifts... pretty good at it... started doing it when I was 16 or so. Couldn't heal-toe in that car, gas pedal was too high up.

I left foot brake to make the FWD car slide moar on paddockbashing days :D

I left foot brake to make the FWD car slide moar on paddockbashing days :D

Paddock bashing on 18" chromiez bae?

My 318 auto brake pedal has a nice solid feel to it, left foot braking in the auto fairly often, mainly started due to an idle issue which has since been resolved, never really gave up doing it, never any pattern to when though.

the 325 manual, heal toe base of foot accelerator and toe on brake more often than the other way around.

Toe on break that's for sure. I find it hard to do this in city, not enough speed/rev to warrant doing it. But if driven more "lively", sure.

Left foot brake is usually done on FWD cars to help traction. Can't do this on a VW or Audi though, ECU kills the power when you do this.

I have a normal leg so I just do it normally.

It’s a lot of fun in a car with a responsive engine and sounds great if you have an exhaust, bit wanky on the road though.

I have only recently started using the technique TBH and the sole reason I have started is to put less wear and tear on my car on the track, traditionally I just slammed the car down through the gears and used the gears to slow the car but after a driving lesson I am slowly getting the hang of it, its smoother and saves engine mounts, over reving and my gearbox but seems to put a lot more strain on brakes as im using them more, its hard to teach yourself to do something unnatural after 15 years.

Tips from the pro's appreciated.

Practice, practice, practice.

I left foot brake in the miss's auto all the time.

It makes a difference when racing especially where moving through tight, twisty parts of road which very accurate throttle / brake inputs are required and you don't need to change gear.

I don't bother too much on the track, braking points are usually to big to require. But then again I have plenty of HP.

Heel toe is always ball of foot on brake, heel/side of foot on accelerator. Just youtube some clips of race drivers to see how it's done.

Don't know how you'd do it the other way unless you're double-jointed or something!

i do it like this guy. but i get my foot at about a 45 degree angle becasue the pedals are gay in my DD car

Edited by crshbndct

Agreed.

that is awesome footage. Just a little roll of the foot to blip the throttle.

You need good pedal placement to achieve this.

But that is a perfect example of how it should be done.

God I love watching the full throttle shifts.

Also note the safety tap people!

Left braking lesson from the master:

Edited by M5V8

Left braking lesson from the master:

taken from the other linked video of mcrae driving

"provided there is not a tree in the way you just keep the power on all the way through the corner"

what a legend

I used to do this most of the time in my 323i but can't really do it right in my touring or in my old 318i because the engine are less responsive? Perhaps the extractors in the 323i made it more responsive.