Sign in to follow this  
deeveus

Brand new M3 cheapness?

Visit My Website

Aren't these normally 150k + options?

Carjam'd it and it's brand new, just registered. What the helll?!?

Will be a mistake Sherlock.

Would have to be. Wouldn't it be good if you had to hold them to the advertised price.

That's not a 2010 model ... it's a pre-facelift model (look at the rear lights - the new ones are LED).

So my guess is it's either an used model (and the ks just haven't been noted correctly as usually is the case on trademe) or an ex dealership demonstrator.

Edited by M3_Power

Could be possible it's an ex demonstrator but it was only registered yesterday with just over 100km & when I was there only a few weeks ago looking at the E70's it wasn't there, it's only a small dealership and mixed up with other brands. Possible it's an ordered M3 that the owner has changed their mind on or something?

Could be possible it's an ex demonstrator but it was only registered yesterday with just over 100km & when I was there only a few weeks ago looking at the E70's it wasn't there, it's only a small dealership and mixed up with other brands. Possible it's an ordered M3 that the owner has changed their mind on or something?

Unlikely, as it would have been a stock car at BMW NZ (given that it's a pre-facelift; they've been bringing in the facelift models for over a year now) - so likely one of those that sat in the warehouse and never got sold but the dealership had their name on it for a long time and only decided to register it now.

Either way, cheap car. When BMW NZ had demonstrator specials on the M3s they were still at least $14X,XXX to buy, so this is definitely cheap for a brand new car despite the fact that it has the older style Nav and lights.

Edited by M3_Power

For those savings I guess you'd be a fool to buy a new one and wait for it to arrive when you could have it in your driveway the same day for 35k less! You could spend 35k on piss!

So even though it's not a 2010 - how can they just register it as one?

Edited by Clinton

Virtually identical one at Jerry Clayton's on the shore. 2009, Demonstrator mileage, 125K

Punch me in the face later .. but the 4 door looks sooo much better than the 2 door.

Punch me in the face later .. but the 4 door looks sooo much better than the 2 door.

Nah, IMO I'd prefer it. More practical, more exclusive looking as most of them are 2 door that I've seen.

That's what Josh is saying Clinton. I agree though.

What's with the horrible chunky tyres on these cars?

For those savings I guess you'd be a fool to buy a new one and wait for it to arrive when you could have it in your driveway the same day for 35k less! You could spend 35k on piss!

So even though it's not a 2010 - how can they just register it as one?

Any brand new car that gets registered for the first time in 2010 becomes a 2010. or if it was registered in 2011, its a 2011 etc etc. You can't register it as a 2009. Happens all the time!

Agreed. Whenever im in Takapuna I visit BMW and sit in the white four door M3 making brom brom noises and pretending to drift

That's what Josh is saying Clinton. I agree though.

What's with the horrible chunky tyres on these cars?

You mean correct sized tyres? Fitting narrower tyres with a lower profile would slow it down big time, no way I would want the 19" option.

Edited by Apex

Depends on how you look at it, they run a Michelin Pilot Sport II which is an awesome tyre, I was speaking with a guy on the weekend who has got near 30,000km out of his set including quite a few track days and from the looks of them he will get quite a few more. They may cost twice as much as say a Dunlop or Toyo but they will grip better and last twice as long so the cost equals itself out.

As for ride quality amd noise, that’s personal preference, I don’t think they ride bad at all for what is a high performance saloon car, nicely compromised if you ask me.

The fellow didn’t seem to care about the cost, when you are spending $180,000 on a car $1,000 for a tyre is chumps change, it’s the owners in ten years time who will struggle and like most E46 M3’s you see will run cheapo alternatives that compromise what BMW were trying to achieve in the first place. They will justify/mask their thriftiness saying the run flats were horrible ;)

true, my mum has a e90 330ci with run flats, and that was just what i noticed, but when you think about it , in 10-15 years time whos gonna pay $4000 for a new set of tyres?

Either way, cheap car. When BMW NZ had demonstrator specials on the M3s they were still at least $14X,XXX to buy, so this is definitely cheap for a brand new car despite the fact that it has the older style Nav and lights.

Loving this definition of "cheap", it obviously varies a lot between a E30 drivers definition and an X5 / CSL driver (no offence chaps) :lol: !

no M cars use run flats ... Period. You can't even spec them with it.

The michelins are also surprisingly long lasting and will easily do 30,000km with a couple of track days thrown in.

Also if you import tge tyres privately they don't cost anywhere near $4000, more like $2500 fitted.

Edited by M3_Power

Loving this definition of "cheap", it obviously varies a lot between a E30 drivers definition and an X5 / CSL driver (no offence chaps) :lol: !

Oops ... My bad, by cheap I meant 'well priced compared to retail' .... Still an expensive luxury car ..

Oops ... My bad, by cheap I meant 'well priced compared to retail' .... Still an expensive luxury car ..

That's exactly what cheap means lol.

Cheap compared to for example. A brand new Bugatti Veyron with 20k off retail is cheap even though it's still like 3 million bucks :)