Sign in to follow this  
camera doctor

iPhone 4 ?

So,

What happened to the iPhone 4 launch ??

Was supposed to be Today ( Friday ) I was all set to line up at Vodafone shop in CHCH

But, last night, all IP4 reference was removed from Vodafone website and the forums tlaked about it all being called off !!

Has anybody got offical word ??

Found this in 30 seconds on using a Google search (from an Australian news site):

"Things appear to be going less swimmingly in New Zealand, which is two hours ahead of Sydney. According to local reports, Apple's deal with Vodafone has been canceled in that country as all mentions of the device disappeared from the carrier's site yesterday and no launch plans had been announced. We also received word that Vodafone has posted signs in its stores this morning stating that the launch will not be taking place today.

The change would appear to leave customers scrambling, with unlocked iPhone 4 models at unsubsidized prices set to be available through Apple's online site as their only option in that country, although rumors also suggested the device might be available through other retailers there."

Found this in 30 seconds on using a Google search (from an Australian news site):

"Things appear to be going less swimmingly in New Zealand, which is two hours ahead of Sydney. According to local reports, Apple's deal with Vodafone has been canceled in that country as all mentions of the device disappeared from the carrier's site yesterday and no launch plans had been announced. We also received word that Vodafone has posted signs in its stores this morning stating that the launch will not be taking place today.

The change would appear to leave customers scrambling, with unlocked iPhone 4 models at unsubsidized prices set to be available through Apple's online site as their only option in that country, although rumors also suggested the device might be available through other retailers there."

Thanks, but I was after Offical word, not some reporter 'guessing'

:D :D

After all the trouble it's had overseas, and Apple's PR ballsup with the latest Jobs Media Rlease, I can't get it into my head how anyone still actually wants one??

If you all want to spend $1099 on a useless piece of junk that drops calls, I'll happily buy you an old 1st gen iphone and drop it a couple of times for you, then pocket the change.

This makes for interesting reading. I wonder what has happened?

People won't be very happy with Vodafone regardless of the reason I'd say?

It sure does...

Will be quite entertaining to watch this unfold!

This makes for interesting reading. I wonder what has happened?

People won't be very happy with Vodafone regardless of the reason I'd say?

phones are in stock and have been since wednesday( stock is extreamly limited, only at a select few stores and almost not worth lining up for anyway), launch was pulled at 5pm last night. rumors say it might launch at midday today, or possibly tomorrow.

Edited by Mobbin

Guest Simon*

Maybe VFNZ are unwilling to take all the sh*t for poor reception, dropped calls, etc from customers - would put them on a par with XT and look at the public crucifixion they endured!

A couple weeks, or even month delay until apple address the BIG f**kING problem with ip4 is probably worth the hassle. Can't believe their solution is a voucher for a plastic case. Weak

Guest Simon*

If you all want to spend $1099 on a useless piece of junk that drops calls, I'll happily buy you an old 1st gen iphone and drop it a couple of times for you, then pocket the change.

Sounds awesome, I'll take one!!!!

could be another one of apples unorthodox marketing strategies.

A couple weeks, or even month delay until apple address the BIG f**kING problem with ip4 is probably worth the hassle. Can't believe their solution is a voucher for a plastic case. Weak

I know stacks of people with iPhone 4s. None of them are having issues with reception or dropped calls. The majority of them are using the phone without any case on it.

I was meant to pick mine up two weeks ago, but I have held off to make sure that the issue is a storm in a tea cup. I'm now convinced that it is the exception to the rule so if I am near the Apple Store or an AT&T outlet will pick one up one this weekend.

I agree that Apple's handing of the situation has been poor, but also think that the whole thing is blown way out of proportion.

Edited by Grant

Guest Simon*

I'll expect a full report G-Unit

I'm not sure I believe it's just a storm in a teacup yet ;)

I hear the iPhone can cook you dinner and get a beer from the fridge.

iPhone - Rubbish

Apple - Scammers

I'm not sure I believe it's just a storm in a teacup yet ;)

You know the US and its media sensationalism. Anywhere that has its leading story for three days straight being Lindsay Lohan going to jail, and that Chelsea Clinton's toilets for her wedding are costing $15,000 should be taken with a grain of salt.

All I'm saying is that the limited experience I have had with the actual product in hand is contrary to what is widely reported by the media. I'm also not saying that it is not an issue, just I believe nowhere near as bigger issue as people are lead to believe.

I even tried hard to replicate the reception problem, with no luck. The caveat to that is that I have only played with the phone in Sacramento, and we have very good reception here. It may be more of an issue in areas like San Francisco or New York where the more crowded networks impact reception (although I understand AT&T are spending a fortune in both areas improving the network)

We have been told nothing.

Its all between Vodafone and Apple.

Oh and the reception issue is nothing. We have not had a single person with an iPhone 4 have any issues

Edited by fuzyfrog

After all the trouble it's had overseas, and Apple's PR ballsup with the latest Jobs Media Rlease, I can't get it into my head how anyone still actually wants one??

Eaxactly why i went with the 3GS...I dont feel much like being Apples iphone 4, software/hardware experiment that only cost $1200 odd.

Oh and the reception issue is nothing. We have not had a single person with an iPhone 4 have any issues

where do you work!? i thought that this thread was about why has the release date been pushed also i think the reception issue is something! otherwise Apple would not be getting sued in the states over it. :P

Im a tech for Renaissance. We are the Apple distributor in NZ for all Apple Products that are not iPhones <_<

I still have no idea why it was pushed back till lunch or whats going on but they are now selling them in the shop.

Guest Simon*

Just heard from a mate who got one at the lunchtime launch. Says it's cool and quick and signal drops markedly when he holds the left hand side <_<

I just had a play with one, they are very nice. The screen is so bright and crisp and the whole device just seems so much more solid and well built compared with it's predecessors. Also managed to get the signal to drop by holding it in the right place but it'a not how i'd hold it to call or do anything normally.

The camera with flash is very cool, the speed and performance seemed better than 3GS. I didn't really get to test everything out but ....

... I wouldn't mind having one ... but still have another 12 months on my contract so i'll just wait for the next model.

You know the US and its media sensationalism. Anywhere that has its leading story for three days straight being Lindsay Lohan going to jail, and that Chelsea Clinton's toilets for her wedding are costing $15,000 should be taken with a grain of salt.

All I'm saying is that the limited experience I have had with the actual product in hand is contrary to what is widely reported by the media. I'm also not saying that it is not an issue, just I believe nowhere near as bigger issue as people are lead to believe.

I even tried hard to replicate the reception problem, with no luck. The caveat to that is that I have only played with the phone in Sacramento, and we have very good reception here. It may be more of an issue in areas like San Francisco or New York where the more crowded networks impact reception (although I understand AT&T are spending a fortune in both areas improving the network)

Well I know someone who works in the Apple test chambers. The problem does exist. And the bumper is not a sure fix. Though their focus has now moved back onto the overheating problems various Apple products have been getting. It is bad enough for my friend to stick with his 3GS.

Will wait for the superior spec'd Nokia N9.

Iphone 4 Battery

Standard battery, Li-Po 1420mAh

Stand-by Up to 300 h (2G) / Up to 300 h (3G)

Talk time Up to 14 h (2G) / Up to 7 h (3G)

Music play Up to 40 h

Iphone 3GS Battery

Standard battery, Li-Ion

Stand-by Up to 300 h

Talk time Up to 12 h (2G) / Up to 5 h (3G)

Music play Up to 30 h

So going by those figures (Apple Specs) yes it is. But Apple specs like Nokia specs are often inflated. My brother is lucky if he gets 3 hours talk time on his 3GS.

Edited by driftit