Sign in to follow this  
Surge

Snapped a rocker! m20

Hey guys, from the searching I've done it seems very common to snap rockers on these things.... I just brought a e30 PFL 325i, the first night I went for a drive I snapped number 3 exhaust rocker. Not happy!

I know how to replace them, I'm just wondering where is the best place to buy a new set (I'd like to have this done so I don't have to do it again!) - Ideally stronger ones would be nice... And any idea at how much I should be looking to fork out to pay for these?

Cheers

we have some 2nd hand ones.

or can get new ones if needed

Hey guys, from the searching I've done it seems very common to snap rockers on these things.... I just brought a e30 PFL 325i, the first night I went for a drive I snapped number 3 exhaust rocker. Not happy!

I know how to replace them, I'm just wondering where is the best place to buy a new set (I'd like to have this done so I don't have to do it again!) - Ideally stronger ones would be nice... And any idea at how much I should be looking to fork out to pay for these?

Cheers

What sort of revs did you have up to have that happen?

I'm sure a guy that used to belong to bimmersport has designed one that is super strong, his name is Wayne Morine I understand that he makes them for the guys that need big revs on this engine. You might be able to ask "Mosen" in Hamilton he would be able to direct you to him. if he cannot get back to me and I will see if I can find him for you.

Cheers

Ireland Engineering (www.bmw2002.com) for stronger ones

how did you manage that? i thrash the nuts out of my racecar all the time, quite often well above 7 and havnt done that yet.

how did you manage that? i thrash the nuts out of my racecar all the time, quite often well above 7 and havnt done that yet.

I have found they can snap randomly, with my pfl 320i it snapped an inlet rocker at 6000rpm, but on the otherhand my 325 gets taken to 7000rpm and has never missed a beat.

Cheers guys, will follow up the advice.

The thing snapped at around ~6000rpm on an engine with 90,000miles. Dads old 325i never managed to brake one and that thing had over 350,000kms on it...

Seems like a random (but common, from looking through all the forums) thing to happen.