Sign in to follow this  
$toffz

Audi Maintenance/Servicing

Afternoon Folks,

Been looking at getting a second car, something around $15k, has to be manual and enjoyable to drive.

Have seen a number of S series Audi's on trade and something like the below really appeals.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/C...n-305889002.htm

My question is what sort of maintenance budget would you expect on a car likes this assuming it has been well maintained through out it's life. I do like the car but cannot afford bills over $1k every two-three months, I'm used to my $240 service every 6 months for the e30.

What would you expect?

Educated guesses welcome.

Cheers for the steer.

I'd expect there is a solid risk of big bills, but you might get lucky. I really like them as well, but decided I was fooling myself if I thought it would be reliable and cheap to run (even compared to the M3).

Like any Euro it’s going to come down to its history and how diligent the previous owner has been.

If you can avoid a cam belt change on one of these you will be doing well, front disks are also expensive.

From all accounts I have see those are the major costs on what are a reliable strong car, they are put together quite well.

Try looking on VASK, there are quite a few members with them on there.

Glenn will give you a fair idea of what can go wrong and scare you off one no doubt.

Give me a call tomorrow at work Chris

Will do Mr Glenn.

Cheers lads.

When these things go wrong they can really really cost. I had an S4 and the dealer who bought it from me called me about 8 months later (embarrassingly enough at a Funeral - forgot to switch off my phone!) and said that the entire engine had imploded and was going to cost 5 figures to repair. That said, when they're going they are alot of fun - mine was the B6 4.2V8 S4.

Bad luck, and why did the engine implode?

A lot of cars will run into 5 figures if you blow the engine and there are no second hand parts/engines available, it’s not reserved for performance Audi’s.

I have seen a rare model Audi snap a cam belt and cost the guy over 12k to repair, he had chipped it and done a few other mods and neglected the recommended cam belt change time of 80,000km, have seen low KM BMW M cars fail due to poor maintenance/owners.

As said diligence is the key, those S4’s are a tough car and when maintained correctly are no less reliable than a regular Audi A4 or BMW three series.

Afternoon Folks,

Been looking at getting a second car, something around $15k, has to be manual and enjoyable to drive.

Have seen a number of S series Audi's on trade and something like the below really appeals.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/C...n-305889002.htm

My question is what sort of maintenance budget would you expect on a car likes this assuming it has been well maintained through out it's life. I do like the car but cannot afford bills over $1k every two-three months, I'm used to my $240 service every 6 months for the e30.

What would you expect?

Educated guesses welcome.

Cheers for the steer.

Just remember with these engines that the cambelt needs to be changed every 80,000kms. It should have either just be done or its over due.

Gosh all these catastrophic engine failures when the timing belt/chain fails!

Guess that is why I like to stick with my early Lexus V8 engines, no such a problem if that occurs in the rare event (non interference)

Regarding the new car choice... I would probably steer clear of an older Audi, sure they are nice cars but I wouldn't want to own one hearing about what can go wrong and will go wrong.

Perhaps another BMW might be a better way to go? For that sort of money and less you could get a really nice E39 V8 or a Cheaper E46...

I wouldnt really recommend an Audi, after owning one for a while now the parts are expensive, they aren't easy to work on particularly, Ive had more problems with it than I have with the last 5 BMWs ive had.

Mine in a NZ new one, with full SH from Giltrap Prestige and its still a bit rubbish

Airbag Faults to africa

Water leaks

Clutch issues

Suspension parts

Electrical faults

Waterpump failed only 50,000km after fitted (genuine)

Just an honest opinion, stick with BMWs, im getting another one as soon as I find one i want!

I would agree with BMWTouring's comment above. While Audi's are a very nice car, they can be very expensive to maintain and repair. Yes that could apply to any vehicle, but some of the prices that I have been quoted for Audi parts in the past has been eye watering! The other thing that I have noticed is the BMW NZ seem to keep a wider variety of parts available in stock while with Audi it was often the case of "Yes sir we can get that for you Ex Germany - it will be three weeks wait" There is also a very strong parts base for BMW online (Pelican parts etc)- not so sure if thats the case with Audi.

If it was me I would be sticking to BMW based on my experiences with both makes. Plus to state the obvious, you always have the Bimmersport team here for advice and guidance with any BMW issues you do have.

Edited by ducatiss

I wouldnt really recommend an Audi, after owning one for a while now the parts are expensive, they aren't easy to work on particularly, Ive had more problems with it than I have with the last 5 BMWs ive had.

Mine in a NZ new one, with full SH from Giltrap Prestige and its still a bit rubbish

Airbag Faults to africa

Water leaks

Clutch issues

Suspension parts

Electrical faults

Waterpump failed only 50,000km after fitted (genuine)

Just an honest opinion, stick with BMWs, im getting another one as soon as I find one i want!

Same here although my urS4 was an auto...

Whenever a part failed it usually had to come from Singapore- the sensors etc seemed to be VW/AUDI not Bosch so couldnt be gotten by other means.

Electrical faults for Africa and as above it was a FSH Giltrap car.... used more fuel than the Queen Mary as well.

In stock form she handled like a dog, maybe lowering etc may have fixed that.. but the entiure engine was in front of the front axle (!)

edit: And yes, I would honestly say very expensive compared with bmw etc.... I remember being quoted just over $1400 for a single high pressure brake system hose, had hydraulink rebuild mine for 130.

Edited by nath

Cheers for the feed back folks, the more i read into the Audi's the more I realise the maintenance is just too much of a liability even with full checks done before purchasing.

Havent had a chance to call Glenn back, will email rather.

A bit OT, but after doing some more hunting and reading the 'potentials' list has reshuffled, in order of preference, all cars must be manual, limit $16k but would like a couple k in reserve for full service etc when purchased. Once work settles down at the end of the month I will looking at buying...

1. E30 Motorsport 325i, or similar calibre 325i (Has to be more than good condition, I dont mind paying for the quality). Thinking $7-9K.

2. E36 325/8i.

3. Nissan S15 R

4. EVO 5.

My pick from your list would be a tidy E36 328i but you should be able to get into the E46 for tht money which is a much better ride.

Edited by ducatiss

its probably a little bit sacrilege to say here, but bang for buck i'd go for the S15 Silvia R, super reliable, cheap and easy to maintain yourself, loads of fun to drive and parts are cheap.

just watch out for dodgy nissan ignition coils ^_^

Edited by BMWTouring

its probably a little bit sacrilege to say here, but bang for buck i'd go for the S15 Silvia R, super reliable, cheap and easy to maintain yourself, loads of fun to drive and parts are cheap.

just watch out for dodgy nissan ignition coils ^_^

Theres a really nice e46 328i sport coupe at Ezybuy in Auckland atm,

I have driven and inspected it,

They want 7 to 8 k for it

Edited by Winckel

Have been getting a little warmed up about getting an A6 4.2 V8. Never had an audi before. The more I think about it plus reading this thread the more I think I'll pass. Probably look at another BMW or an Alfa (for a while). At least I know beamers, know where to get parts, don't know audi, don't know where to get parts. My impression is that there are rather more good 2nd hand BMW parts guys out there than there are for audi's. Can't even get the case right on the word (audi)