Sign in to follow this  
pureboiracer

low+roadworks+bad.

Hey guys, heres what happens when the council decide they will rip up the footpath outside your house and give you a metal plate covering a ditch for a driveway,

the metal plate is not the issue, the issue here was the angle between the driveway and the plate. grrrr.

was kind of wondering on what the councils responsibilities are when doing stuff like this?? (ohh and btw the car is legal.)

post-1845-1281925234.jpg

post-1845-1281925275.jpg

post-1845-1281925307.jpg

Edited by DRTE30

what coilovers???? lol ok well technically no but they dont need to know about those.

Edited by DRTE30

yeah, it sucks, i knew it would happen sooner or later, i just expected it to be on a knarley speedbump or something.

on another note about the coilovers, i should need a car to be certed or anything for being in my driveway, and although the footpath is council property i should still be able to turn car around etcf etc, even if its not road legal.

Edited by DRTE30

All you can do now is ring/write and just don't tell them anything about the car, got a wof/rego right?

yeah gunna put a letter together tomorrow with some photos, it is wofd and regd, i will see what happens, i will just say that i appreciate them doing the work to upgrade the footpath and appreciate them offering access to my driveway etc although i dont think it was enough as tho there was access it rendered my driveway, and also the garage useless, and no alternative parking was provided, and although they need to do the work i shouldnt have to be put out of my way and have to work around them and shouldnt suffer damages due to their work etc etc.

I had this happen to me along time a go in the e46.. If its the councils fault or caused by the council you have cause to go them for it.

The contractor who has done the job has public liability insurance and so does the council.

However, your car needs to be 100% road legal and have a current wof or reg. If its not dont bother contacting them as the insurance loss adjuster will investigate until they find a loop hole. Get ready to have all your affairs in order.

However if your good then you have grounds to claim.

Slammage damage...

Are you not insured?

yeah but hardly worth insurance for a couple of hundy of damage, im not holding my breath but its worth a try i guess.

Pretty obvious it was there, shouldn't caution have prevailed ? Why should the council be responsible ?

^ because the access provided for my driveway was insufficient, i could see it was there but its not like i could drive around it or anything. also no replacement parking was offered by the council and i cant just park on the st as its all res parking and the nearest st i could have parked in is about 200m away up a big hill. although the council were just doing there job, as i said before i shouldnt have to be put out by them and i should still be able to use my d.way lowered or not.

Edited by DRTE30

Bad luck man that sucks! I'd be spewing.

If their public liability doesn't want the hassle, you may get paid out quickly and easily.

However In most tort situations such as this, you would had to have used more caution and common sense and checked... Then called the council and arranged alternative parking. A hassle yes, but common sense does say that you saw the roadworks and hence potentially altered road conditions. "It was not imperative that your carpark be used". A right, yes- but imperative no.