Sign in to follow this  
tmase

E39 540i

Hi,

I have been looking around for an E39, preferably a 540i. I have come across this one listed on TM by a dealer in Christchurch.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=293212516

I am unable to view it right now, but was wondering if any members here might have an opinion on the vehicle and whether the price range is in the ball park considering it is an import and I am not too sure about service history. Seems to have been on the lot for a while too which is making me a little wary.

I have been trawling the forums for the last few days and have made myself aware of some of the usual E39 pitfalls, plastic cooling system failures, squeaky door seals, broken cup holders etc, and have read the E39 Buyers guide posted as well, but any other information that might be useful to a potential first time BMW owner would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Tim

why those seat are motorsport ,also the steering wheel.

why those seat are motorsport ,also the steering wheel.

Not motorsport seats Mitchell. They are `comfort` seats. Looks to be a nicely optioned kiwi new 540.

Not motorsport seats Mitchell. They are `comfort` seats. Looks to be a nicely optioned kiwi new 540.

the silver car has sports seats doest it?

The one piece of advice for buying any BMW: Get it throroughly checked by a reputable BMW workshop.

I like the look of this car more than the one in your link. It's cheaper, lower K's and has the best wheels for a 5'er. :)

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/C...n-311584135.htm

Man that's alot of car for the money. Get a warranty and the who cares huh? Looks the goods, I'd love a toy like that. First thing would be the pipes, wheels look mint, dunno if I'd actually change much else.

the silver car has sports seats doest it?

The silver Highline is virtually identical in spec. to mine. TV is fully usable, even teletext. Jochen here assisted with setup. I haven't bothered with the nav system.

Paul, the seats on the Highline models are the comfort seats. If they are sports seats they certainly don't offer much support.

As Mark says, get a check done. Pay particular attention to the front suspension bushes etc (the most likely cause of the "shimmy"), coolant system, and on older models look for oil leaks etc. I've a small intermittent leak I can't track down. Invest in a warranty or get it thrown in.

I've had mine for just on 4 years and absolutely love it. Unfortunately it's now only worth 1/3rd of what I paid. If I was looking for a 540i now I'd go for a later year Motorsport spec. They will be more attractive come time for sale. Have a good look around and don't have a rush of blood.

In 1999 the NZ$190k 540i was rated as the best high performance saloon car in the world. You can enjoy that too for only 10% of the new price! Spend the savings at the pump.

For some reason E39 leather seats in pictures always look really... I don't know, cheapish and tired out? What is the leather like in person? I've only been a E39 with cloth seats.

I've got the impression E34s had better leather, is it of a cheaper quality in the E39s?

Slightly off topic!

That black 126,000k one looks quite good for the money, but as with any E39 I would definitely get a PROPER check on the car.

silver one for me,like I ussually prefer darker colured cars,but of these two i would get the silver one.

Hi,

Thanks for all the replies and tips! Seems I have a bit of a decision to make, the silver car seems better optioned (Highline Spec) but the black has the advantage of being NZ new. Black always concerned me a little with regards to being visible on the road on wet Christchurch days. Not completely sold on the deep dish wheels, but I might have to see them in the metal first.

The one piece of advice for buying any BMW: Get it throroughly checked by a reputable BMW workshop.

I was thinking of going to Kevin Burt Ltd for the pre-purchase inspection, doubly important as I was wondering what sort of after purchase warranty I might or might not be able to get on the silver car as the kms are over 150k. Does anyone know if the local BMW dealer will provide a factory options list for a vehicle if I provide the VIN?

As Mike said I'll have to avoid that rush of blood. I have wanted one of these for a long time!

Edited by tmase

Hi,

Thanks for all the replies and tips! Seems I have a bit of a decision to make, the silver car seems better optioned (Highline Spec) but the black has the advantage of being NZ new. Black always concerned me a little with regards to being visible on the road on wet Christchurch days. Not completely sold on the deep dish wheels, but I might have to see them in the metal first.

I was thinking of going to Kevin Burt Ltd for the pre-purchase inspection, doubly important as I was wondering what sort of after purchase warranty I might or might not be able to get on the silver car as the kms are over 150k. Does anyone know if the local BMW dealer will provide a factory options list for a vehicle if I provide the VIN?

As Mike said I'll have to avoid that rush of blood. I have wanted one of these for a long time!

BMW will supply build sheet from chassis number(last 7 number of vin) if you ask nicely.They will also preform a thorough pre purchase inspectionMany people regard the wheels on the black car as a very desireable wheel

Kevin Burt will be good for the inspection. Or likewise Jeff Gray BMW will do it for you too. The dealer will be able to provide a warranty for you, just make sure you read the fineprint and double check all the important problem areas are covered under the policy and how much the excess is on claims.

Good luck, these are great cars. They'll certainly leave your BA Falcon in the dust in terms of comfort, luxury and refinement! :)

IMO you'd be nuts to buy the silver import over the lower mileaged NZ New job.

Black always concerned me a little with regards to being visible on the road on wet Christchurch days.

Haha, that's something my Grandma would say. If its at the point where your having trouble seeing dark cars, turn on the headlights maybe.

The bleck one for me if everything checks out fine. NZ new, the Style 5's rock and you still got the MF steering wheel.

Check the warranty out as much as the car, they set strict service intervals and will decline if you are a few hundred over, and wear and tear exclusions can apply to almost anything, it's how it's interpreted.

Depending on cost of warranty almost better to self insure, I talk to dealers and they are getting sick of the warranty companies letting them down and telling the customer to use the CGA obligations and go the dealer.

Times are tough for warranty companies, and they don't make money paying out for V8 BMW's.

Shameless self promotion......

Mine Trademe

Offered to Bimmersport members at $8500

Call or PM me if interested

Thanks for all the advice.

I'll be checking out both cars as soon as I am able and hopefully soon I will be able to post in the Rides forum page!

Cheers

IMO you'd be nuts to buy the silver import over the lower mileaged NZ New job.

+1

Wheels are very cool.

I just love my 540-do as them lot above have suggested & you'll have a car that you just cant stop driving-they are awesome! :lol:

Edited by 1rotty

Shameless self promotion......

Mine Trademe

Offered to Bimmersport members at $8500

Call or PM me if interested

Hey mate, did you buy that from Mazda here in Dunedin at the time (next to the shell petrol station)

We test drove this it would be years ago mind you?

I'm wondering if this could be an alternative to our ever trusty Mazda 6 ?

What's the fuel consumption on the open road & urban ?

I dont find my 540i too bad on gas! my 528i only used like $20 a week less, ATM I use $80-$90 a week with abit of spirited passing on the Main South Road, a fang here and there. but when your driving nicely it's reasonable for a 4.4 V8 i reckon.. I can get the petrol down to $70 a week if I resist the urge to stretch its legs.

I do Rolleston to Hornby return every day with a trip or 2 right into town, which includes driving pointlessly to the likes of mc donalds, mates houses etc

amazing cars on the open road AND around town (except if you wanna pull into a carpark real quick/last min haha),

I dont find my 540i too bad on gas! my 528i only used like $20 a week less, ATM I use $80-$90 a week with abit of spirited passing on the Main South Road, a fang here and there. but when your driving nicely it's reasonable for a 4.4 V8 i reckon.. I can get the petrol down to $70 a week if I resist the urge to stretch its legs.

I do Rolleston to Hornby return every day with a trip or 2 right into town, which includes driving pointlessly to the likes of mc donalds, mates houses etc

amazing cars on the open road AND around town (except if you wanna pull into a carpark real quick/last min haha),

Thanks for that mate. Can you sorta advise what it's returning on the trip computer?

Thanks for that mate. Can you sorta advise what it's returning on the trip computer?

Hi Clinton

I do mostly all town driving (Christchurch metro, home / peak hr school drop-off / client visit / home, no motorway stuff) and my OBC is shows consistently between 17 and 18 mpg (yes I'm old school). No thrashing - I'm too old for that now.

A return trip to say Dunedin and I can get 28 mpg.

My OBC has 2 consumption recorders. I reset CONS 2 every fill so I can see my weekly usage.

CONS 1 was from reset about 12 months ago and is 16.8 mpg

Andrew (HT) would have better consumption as he come in from Rollie.

11.4l/100 as long term average, on a long trip i usually average 9.7-10.2l/100.

Cheers guys. Our Mazda 6 is doing 9.5 at the moment, thats with 80% highway useage which I thought was crap to be honest but it would make a 540i a not so bad alternative should we ofcourse purchase a warranty tighter than watergate.