Sign in to follow this  
thorburn

Fixed back seat

What I am hoping to achieve by going to a fixed back bucket seat:

A seat that will hold me better

Lighter seat

Will be equally or more safe then standard

What I am worried about is how safe it will be with an airbag? does anyone have any experience with fitting a fixed back seat to a low volume vehicle fitted with airbags. This is the only thing I believe will require me to get a cert.

Another problem I have read about is that fixed seats in a coupe are a problem due to rear passengers not being able to get out. Is it necessary to re-register the car as a 2 seater? Will it be fine if the seat slides forward (and maybe tilts forward)enough?

Are there any other problems I might have over looked?

Currently I have read through the LVVTA pdf on seats and seat anchorages and plenty of threads from various forums. Any other useful websites to have a check over?

I will speak with a certifier when I have a good understanding of what will need to do

As far as I'm aware, if you put fixed back seats into a 2-door, you must remove the rear seat.

I think its seats and seatbelts now. The whole seat must be removed, mounts for seats and seatbelts must be plugged as well.

^ By plugged do you mean the bolts put in the holes?

I have taken out the rear seat in my E30 along with the complete rear seatbelt assembly but wondered if holes need filling or anything similar. /Slight OT

^ By plugged do you mean the bolts put in the holes?

I have taken out the rear seat in my E30 along with the complete rear seatbelt assembly but wondered if holes need filling or anything similar. /Slight OT

I'm pretty sure its just bolts & nuts

There go my dreams of a pair of attractive swedish hitchikers

I've seen in old mini's mounts that flip the whole seat forward from the front. But that is old technology and I need it to be safe

Seems a cert is definately going to be necessary for fixed backs