Sign in to follow this  
318Touring

Porsche Cayenne - opinions

I think that's pretty much all they are in some cases Darren "Big wheels and engine" and sometimes black, this is all shoved into a production run of the mill leaf springed car and the companies just hope the new owner will never take it around a corner haha!

My new ute I bought lastyear had leaf springs, getting a car with that suspension setup around a corner was like trying to manhandle a elephant up a fire escape.

Aren’t we posh in our Euro’s, or is this the Lexus Owners Club, Most cars are built like disposable camera’s these days, I have been in brand new BMW’s and found rattles and trim loose, perfect example as a demo E46 and the lining around the door frame was falling off at less than 5,000km, drove a 135i and the plastics were cheaper than a Hyundai..

Worst car build quality wise I have owned was a 1996 E39, that thing just fell apart and failed until eventually writing itself off with faults.

At least the panels lined up though, my French car looks to have come with factory accident damage looking at the panel gaps.

Last properly built BMW was the E34.

A simple question .....

What do you all think of Cayenne '03-'10 S variety, and the Turbo.

Porsche forum is very informative if you're in the States, and I don't think there is the equivalent of bimmersport forums for P-cars in NZ.

Edited: typo

I was a huge sceptic of the Porsche Cayenne. Being a very loyal BM guy I got the old man to buy the e53 X5 4.6is over them when it first came out... yet what do I own and enjoyed for the last two or three years? The Cayenne - an '07 pre-facelift Turbo model.

The X5 iS of the same vintage feels positively archaic when you jump from one to the other. I've done plenty of miles in both. Recently I drove the Cayenne diesel up and down to Ohakune and was again amazed. You only really missed two things: the petrol turbo in overtaking as you would expect and the air-suspension. The later is again probably why the X5 is feel heavy, labouring and less accurate.

I have not driven the latest X5 and can't comment on what got better or worse when this was introduced. I have driven the '10 Cayenne S and Turbo which are yet again a massive leap forward for the driver. Especially the interior creature comforts. The seats feel like those of a 911/M3 sports buckets and the driving position is about as good as you could hope for in a 'truck'.

I won't comment on the styling as that is pretty subjective. I actually really like both the X5 and the Cayenne looks - all models to date.

Q7 drivers are so cut off from the road you may as well take a bus. The big turbo diesel engine is impressive but that was about all you could say. The ML styling I can't get past to want to actually drive one.

I've driven plenty of the yank tanks in the US on business over the years (I even was stupid enough to own an H2 for two years! After living there you loose perspective!) and don't rate any of the Jeep, GM, Cadi trucks. I have not driven the SRT Hemi but sounds like it should be on the test drive list.

If you are going to find a Cayenne you must buy one with the Porsche factory warranty in place. It is worth the $2k+ per annum insurance on anything going wrong. Sure, the running costs are high (especially the fuel) but I have bought pretty good and pretty affordable brakes and tyres that have get replaced once every two years which is fine for a 2 tonne truck with 450+hp.

Hope that helps.

Last properly built BMW was the E34.

yes why?

my e39 has NO faults or issues in anyway shape or form.

service has been regular and besides upgrading certain components I have had no problems.

I would have said there has been plenty well built BMW's since the e34.

The only thing that i could fault would be maybe the drivers side floor mat doesn't look brand new anymore, but it's far from requiring replacing or somekind of build fault!

Edited by M5V8

................... (I edited the post out, just to save space)

Hope that helps.

Thanks Nicko, your reply really helps. As I said on my previous post, it's on the list because it's a Porsche that can take 3 people in comfort not because it's a SUV. I don't really care whether it's a SUV or not as I don't do water sports, don't have any real horses or race cars meaning no need to tow anything. Will be better if I can fit 3 people comfortably into a 997.

Funny how this topic becomes a discussion about build quality in general.

Funny how this topic becomes a discussion about build quality in general.

This is the Internet, 'experts' on all topics are only a mouse click away.

Opinions?

It's a 4WD, thus I hate it.

Westy, you hate bloody everything :P

SUV's are a good at what they do in terms of carting a family around, towing and fitting large amounts of sh*t in - actually that sounds like me (towing/family/large amounts of sh*t) - which is what I use mine for.

Worst build quality I've ever seen visually on a car was a Ford F-250 diesel 4WD ute. Nothing inside it fitted together gaps everywhere and the dashboard to the touch felt like an icecream cone.

and yet the Ford F-series are one of the biggest selling trucks in america

over 900.000 units in 2005

I wonder how many of them are still running now?

I think there's only 6 of them left. LOL!

I'd guess the vast majority of them.

They are good solid workhorses that, along with the Ram, Silverado and Toyota Tundra are the backbone of the trades here.

I'd guess the vast majority of them.

They are good solid workhorses that, along with the Ram, Silverado and Toyota Tundra are the backbone of the trades here.

You know you're right.

I found a picture of one, and it is still running....

post-5771-1283221610.jpg

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

You know you're right.

I found a picture of one, and it is still running....

post-5771-1283221610.jpg

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ahahahahaha!

They probably are quite reliable. But with only six of them left since 2005 mate, I guess that's not so good.

I was a huge sceptic of the Porsche Cayenne. Being a very loyal BM guy I got the old man to buy the e53 X5 4.6is over them when it first came out... yet what do I own and enjoyed for the last two or three years? The Cayenne - an '07 pre-facelift Turbo model.

The X5 iS of the same vintage feels positively archaic when you jump from one to the other. I've done plenty of miles in both. Recently I drove the Cayenne diesel up and down to Ohakune and was again amazed. You only really missed two things: the petrol turbo in overtaking as you would expect and the air-suspension. The later is again probably why the X5 is feel heavy, labouring and less accurate.

I have not driven the latest X5 and can't comment on what got better or worse when this was introduced. I have driven the '10 Cayenne S and Turbo which are yet again a massive leap forward for the driver. Especially the interior creature comforts. The seats feel like those of a 911/M3 sports buckets and the driving position is about as good as you could hope for in a 'truck'.

I won't comment on the styling as that is pretty subjective. I actually really like both the X5 and the Cayenne looks - all models to date.

Q7 drivers are so cut off from the road you may as well take a bus. The big turbo diesel engine is impressive but that was about all you could say. The ML styling I can't get past to want to actually drive one.

I've driven plenty of the yank tanks in the US on business over the years (I even was stupid enough to own an H2 for two years! After living there you loose perspective!) and don't rate any of the Jeep, GM, Cadi trucks. I have not driven the SRT Hemi but sounds like it should be on the test drive list.

If you are going to find a Cayenne you must buy one with the Porsche factory warranty in place. It is worth the $2k+ per annum insurance on anything going wrong. Sure, the running costs are high (especially the fuel) but I have bought pretty good and pretty affordable brakes and tyres that have get replaced once every two years which is fine for a 2 tonne truck with 450+hp.

Hope that helps.

Nice post! A well formed and logical opinion.

Goes to show, you sift through the bullshit and will most of the time end up with a post of some use, and is exactly what the OP was after.

Aren’t we posh in our Euro’s, or is this the Lexus Owners Club, Most cars are built like disposable camera’s these days, I have been in brand new BMW’s and found rattles and trim loose, perfect example as a demo E46 and the lining around the door frame was falling off at less than 5,000km, drove a 135i and the plastics were cheaper than a Hyundai..

Yea, I agree.

The SRT8 has been matched aganist the ML63, Cayenne and Range Rover heaps. some times been chosen over them because its a 1/3 of the price. Super fast, great handling its not just some heavy yank dragster. Doesn't take a genius to concede that the SRT's build quality isn't nearly as good as a early X5 let alone the new ones. But its not that bad when you think that your saving round 100k for build quality. In most reviews you notice that apart from build quality, looks, etc all the things any Merc/BMW will excel in the SRT was better in a lot of other ways mostly performance, handling and brakes.

So for some of us that arn't as posh and really picky over having a door shut perfectly and a buttons that push in nice like on a EURO. I think the Jeep is near the ML or at least the E53 X5's.

If ya bought new. A new ML63 no options so no sunroof, dvd player all those little gadgets, that you get stock on the SRT8 2010.

SRT8 89,990

ML63 193,000

So with just over $100,000, you could buy 2 mint E46 M3's and still have around 20,000 left over. Plus the MlL63 after its first driven away it will devalue by round 20k then 40k after a year. Now you can get a 2-3 year old one for the price of a new SRT8. I know the SRT8 will do the same, Just my view. I think the 100k you save just about makes up for the shitty build quality and the fact its a yank truck. Might be an over the top gangsters play toy to some but even you posh euro perfectionists can admit its a good car. Even Jerermy Clarkson said when he reviewed it in the top gear mag. He said it was so good he didn't want to give it back. And he owns a Sl55 AMG MERCEDES.

post-5250-1283227410.png

Edited by Gotheschu

Open and close any door and notice the difference ;)

Funny you mention that, I do prefer the door closing sound of my old e36 coupe over my current e46 coupe.

I do like the sound my BMW makes when lock/unlock. It sound solid yet crisp unlike any Jappa that just merely a thump.

You get what you pay for ladies. Plain & simple. IMO the build quality on my unit is up there fairly high. But then again, I could have bought a Great Wall 240 and saved 1/3rd of the price even though my car was 2nd hand.

You get what you pay for ladies. Plain & simple. IMO the build quality on my unit is up there fairly high. But then again, I could have bought a Great Wall 240 and saved 1/3rd of the price even though my car was 2nd hand.

Haha, the 'Great' Wall. What a name, eh.

Hey Daniel - below is a picture of the latest model:

Posted Image

And the loaner they'll give you when you bring your crumbling '(not so) Great Wall for a service.

"Right this way sir, your donkey awaits. Please press your foot firmly on the donkey's a$$ to get going"