Sign in to follow this  
kerry

wd tv

Says the BMW geek...

But I can't argue with you, if you aren't encoding your own video, if it downloads and plays, the rest is moot.

do you mean .aac or .aif?

I got my dad onto the popcorn hour, hes has no problems with that

all HD movies are encoded in .mkv now so i would recommend getting your hands on 'Handbrake' and encode ur iMovies to .mkv using the .h264 codec

This is what I use for Apple TV/Ipod.

I also have MySky and run wireless monitor setup on my Desktop. Can run TV as My Computer and browse Internet that way (Wireless Keyboard/mouse etc) So it doesn't bother that I can only run Youtube on Apple TV. All i really wanted it for is the external memory and wait for the American Shows to come on the 'TV' part of Istore

Edited by KSMYRS

This is what I use for Apple TV/Ipod.

I also have MySky and run wireless monitor setup on my Desktop. Can run TV as My Computer and browse Internet that way (Wireless Keyboard/mouse etc) So it doesn't bother that I can only run Youtube on Apple TV. All i really wanted it for is the external memory and wait for the American Shows to come on the 'TV' part of Istore

hook your AppleTV to a US account and use US iTunes cards...

All the latest TV shows, cheap to rent...

ATVFlash lets you browse, stream live files, boxee, the works....

who still uses torrents? thats so 2008 :P

baahaa haaa....

some of my 2008 mates use torrents.

waiting for downloads is gay. streaming all the way

who still uses torrents? thats so 2008 :P

Haha torrents. More like 2005.

You make Apple TV sound so great E90 M3. But don't forget to tell people that you require a above average steady line speed. You not only pay the rental fee but for the data also.

A good majority of NZer's wont have a good experience on ADSL1 lines. Hell most people struggle to stream low quality clips let alone a HD clips.

Once our net comes out of the dark ages it would be a good option.

Haha torrents. More like 2005.

You make Apple TV sound so great E90 M3. But don't forget to tell people that you require a above average steady line speed. You not only pay the rental fee but for the data also.

A good majority of NZer's wont have a good experience on ADSL1 lines. Hell most people struggle to stream low quality clips let alone a HD clips.

Once our net comes out of the dark ages it would be a good option.

Yeah, you are so right! I'm about 50 metres from the exchange and have fast ADSL2 speed (17k connection rate).

Some places in NZ are fine - its just our crappy copper lines over a long distance....

unless you live in Wgtn or Chch where Telstra cable is available

mmmm cable

hook your AppleTV to a US account and use US iTunes cards...

All the latest TV shows, cheap to rent...

ATVFlash lets you browse, stream live files, boxee, the works....

I happened to find out that with the new Apple TV arriving soon, the old one has had the price reduced to $259. So I ordered on on Sunday night. I figured I didn't want a streaming only version (I want to actually buy movies not just rent them) and at $259 they aren't going to get any cheaper. It would have been rude not to get one.

I have now hooked it up to everything (it took more time to actually connect cables etc than to configure it!) and OMFG it rocks! And with YouTube getting into live streaming soon, that could be the icing on the cake. B)

Yeah, you are so right! I'm about 50 metres from the exchange and have fast ADSL2 speed (17k connection rate).

Some places in NZ are fine - its just our crappy copper lines over a long distance....

Many of the problems with our broadband are not at the access end. Fibre to the home can be likened to a Motorway to your garage, a 110kv power line to your home etc, or a 1 meter water main to the house. Even streaming HD content (720p) only requires a few Mbps - and DSL1 easily achieves that. The so called education and health apps that fibre to the home will enable don't require massive bit rates. HD TV is pretty much the only app that we currently know of that requires a really high bit rate, and even then DSL2 will stream at that speed. Other technologies such as digital UHF and Satillite are probably better suited to streaming HD live video content.

- The speed everyone can work at on a DSLAM at the same time is only about 32kbps - good dial up is faster! It all calculated on the hope that not everyone uses it at the same time, which isn't that realistic at about 5.30pm in an evening with kids in almost every household doing homework while streaming the odd utube video.

- The ComCom has made it worse for poeple at the end of long copper lines by not allowing the transmit power in DSL models to be controlled. They all go full power, including those near the DSLAM which doesn't make it go any faster, but the induced interference in the copper cable affects those users further down the line.

- Limited international capacity

- Limited backhaul

- The sites you are visitng have limited capacity and lots of hits, so you are getting just aproportion of their speed. The more popular the site the more packets having tio be senbt to different users.

- low levels of local peer to peer trafic, most downloads are from off shore. As upstream counts as usage most Kiwis are reluctant to stream at anything close to a good speed so people opt for offshore. If you stream from a local user it's probably going to be slow as they have limtied the upstream spped.

- Not a lot of local caching. ISP's got scared off by large media companies threatening to sue for example.

- Lack of interconnection points between ISP's so packets get routed from Dunedin to Auckland to be sent back to Dunendin. This shouldn't be a factor anymore as there are a good number of handoff points but not every ISP wants to connect to them.

was gonna get a WDTV or similar, but when I purchased my LG 50" Plasma TV I found it will accept a 1TB USB Hard drive and play all my movies directly from it... simple and easy too :)

was gonna get a WDTV or similar, but when I purchased my LG 50" Plasma TV I found it will accept a 1TB USB Hard drive and play all my movies directly from it... simple and easy too :)

really? even full HD mkvs?

Edited by _Matt_

Our 2x Samsung S6's do the same, USB stick or our 1tb external, full HD, surround sound FTW

Samsung S6 ftmfw!!, Plays Mkvs and am still yet to find a movie it cannot play off the 1TB external.

Im on the hunt for 720 or 1080p .mkv movies if anyone has many in the auckland region they want to share?

Edited by ///MICHAEL

Samsung S8 Plasma, haven't found anything yet it wont play off the USB stick or Hard Drive.

Need to be smart about how you set your folders up however as it can take a while to find what you want on 1TB.

I was meant to look into why but never did. Might be just a firmware upgrade.

I've got a Seagate aswell, tricky things to network to your PC and has trouble with some codecs, I had to firmware upgrade mine and it now plays all my 1080p stuff easily too.

I got a Freeagent 640gb 2.5" for 100 bucks. Slides nicely into it, I wish I had more use for it all tbh cause I haven't used it since I installed it all a month ago. I just bought a new TV which has USB, so now I find myself just plugging in the external HDD to it instead.