Sign in to follow this  
curryinahurry

Towing Ripoff

Recently, one of my relatives was involved in a car accident and the police was called. The police contacted a local private towing and salvage company and the driver informed us that our car would be towed aside to prevent it from obstructing traffic.

We were aware of how costly it is to have the car towed to their "yard", so we requested the driver to tow the wreck back home, but the driver said he has to tow it back to the yard in case someone tampers with the vehicle before it is assessed by the insurance companies and would not tow it back to our residential address. Is that fact?

Furthermore, we're waiting for police to determine who's at fault, and we were told that if we remove it from the yard, insurance may not pay up if the opposition is found to be at fault. Is this true?

When asked about the fees for keeping the car in the yard, we were informed by the driver that there would be no charge for storage for the first week (We assumed its part of the towing cost). However, when I rung up today, I was told that car is being held at $25/day. We were told a blatant lie.

Obviously, I wanted the car towed back home as soon as possible to prevent the storage costs from accumulating. But I was told that only their company is allowed to tow my car back at a cost of $90, this is due to "difficulty in getting the car out". - Is this legal?

Would love to hear your opinion on this matter. If you're interested in knowing the name of this company, I'd be more than willing to tell you.

Cheers, A

Edited by curryinahurry

Every time my family have had a vehicle wrecked, Insurance has paid storage(rilleys) 3rd party or full cover we've never once had to pay.

I think Target did an artice on exactly this a little while back (like last series)... May pay to see if you can find the episode on-line. Can't remember what the outcome was sorry, but I do remember that the tow company taking the piss and the issue sounded similar to yours (from memory).

What tow company is this? Storage cost sounds very over the top, numerous companies I have dealt with have change $10-$15 per day (with $15 being high & very uncommon).

I think it is fair to presume the insurance company would cover the cost of towing and storing the damaged vehicle, and I would suggest you read your policy documents to check if you are concerned.

Also I did not think the police decided who was at fault for accidents, they only impose fines if a law is broken. Liability is left up to the insurance company/ies to decide as they are the ones paying out.

My girlfriend had a small crash in her car recently resulting in the car being undrivable. She was in a state of shock after the crash and some towing company turned up out of nowhere, and before she could refuse, towed her to some dodgy panel shop "that they recommend". The whole journey was less thn 10km and she was charged $110 + GST!!! Not to mention the shop probably gave the driver a back hander. In the end I got the car transferred to a shop I trust, but was pretty pissed the towing company took advantage of her being in upset state and reamed her with a bullshit towing cost.

We're on 3rd party, so I very much doubt that we'll get cover for this if we're found to be at fault. However, I'll double check the policy incase there is a nice hidden surprise for us :)

The costs of this little saga is ludicrous....

We're facing

$180 for the initial tow - the scene of the accident is about 2km away.

$90 to tow it back out

$25 / day

And these prices probably doesn't include GST.

I'm pretty sure its against the rules to mention the name of this towing company, however its located in Pakuranga. And I know some you folkes are also on the GP forums...I will spread the word there also to help vent my anger.

Its day light robbery, and I pretty much can't do anything about it, other than bad mouth them to every living soul i know.

Edited by curryinahurry

Is this the tow yard near the overbridge on cascades road ? i/we have had some bad experiences with them.

Recently, one of my relatives was involved in a car accident and the police was called. The police contacted a local private towing and salvage company and the driver informed us that our car would be towed aside to prevent it from obstructing traffic.

We were aware of how costly it is to have the car towed to their "yard", so we requested the driver to tow the wreck back home, but the driver said he has to tow it back to the yard in case someone tampers with the vehicle before it is assessed by the insurance companies and would not tow it back to our residential address. Is that fact?

Your car so you decide where it gets towed - a lot of tow companies will try this one out, if they won't tow it to your place call another tow company. You are not obliged legally to have it towed to their yard (unless it's a parking infringement in which case the council dictates where it gets towed to or if the police requests it be towed to a police crash investigation impound).

I've never come across an insurance company that won't assess a car at home - in fact I've had a car assessed at home by the insurance company after it was towed back there after an accident.

Furthermore, we're waiting for police to determine who's at fault, and we were told that if we remove it from the yard, insurance may not pay up if the opposition is found to be at fault. Is this true?

Grey area this one - if the police requested the vehicle to be towed to that particular yard pending investigation, then you won't be able to have it moved. If the police have no concern for it then you can have it removed any time from the yard.

When asked about the fees for keeping the car in the yard, we were informed by the driver that there would be no charge for storage for the first week (We assumed its part of the towing cost). However, when I rung up today, I was told that car is being held at $25/day. We were told a blatant lie.

Best to have stuff like this in writing at the scene of the accident.

I have only once had a car towed to a yard or a panel beater - all the rest of the times I've had to deal with accidents (either my own or for friends) I've had the vehicles towed to my destination of choice, be it a trusting panel beater or owner's home. If it's already there and they are charging you storage, have it removed ASAP (even if it's by another tow company - make sure you don't end up calling a sister company, a lot of tow companies are inter-related in one way or another)

Obviously, I wanted the car towed back home as soon as possible to prevent the storage costs from accumulating. But I was told that only their company is allowed to tow my car back at a cost of $90, this is due to "difficulty in getting the car out". - Is this legal?

Towage is charged by each event - so in this case if you have it towed elsewhere you will be charged again (or if you are covered by insurance, they'll sort it out with the tow company directly or reimburse you afterwards.)

Is this the tow yard near the overbridge on cascades road ? i/we have had some bad experiences with them.

Stay well away from here . I know people that left their car to rust because the storage charges got so high .

Thanks Tom, I really appreciate your input to this matter.

Your car so you decide where it gets towed - a lot of tow companies will try this one out, if they won't tow it to your place call another tow company

I think you're right the money. We have fallen victim to this "scheme" - The towing company was called by the police. When we asked the tow truck driver to tow it back to our property, we were told that it must be towed back to their yard even though the police officer at the scene didn't believe this was the case.

Best to have stuff like this in writing at the scene of the accident.

When our vehicle was towed, we were given a reciept. However the all the "fees" column were left empty, and now it seems they can charge as they please.

We rung up a different towing company to have our car removed from their yard, but they refused to let them remove it. The "new" towing company believes what they're doing is illegal, so I called the Police. The police agreed, and said they'll talk to the company once I've decided on the new towee to remove our vehicle.

UPDATE: The cars going to be towed back by the company.

Total cost: $445

$180 Initial Tow

$20 / day storage x 4 ($30 - $10/day discount)

$50 "time" - WTF?!?!?!?

$90 Return tow

Does anyone else think this is ridiculous? I'm planning to take this further.

Edited by curryinahurry

Andrew... I can understand how you feel about this..... but, if you had proper insurance you wouldn't be having all this stress

BTW: Industry accident tows are always alot dearer than a normal tow.

Our towing company charges $150 for an accident tow, $16 +Gst for storage per day and a normal towing fee to the place of repair, wreckers or your home. This varies on distance traveled.

The people you are dealing with, and I know who they are, are a little higher with their prices. Not by much though.

Edited by *Glenn*

Thanks Glenn. I agree with you regarding having "proper" insurance, but it didnt make sense in this case, as the value of the car is sub $1000.

I think its the fact that they've told us a number of lies, and took advantage of people in distress which annoys me the most. And I'd hate to imagine all the people whos hard-earned money is taken by these people.

Thanks Glenn. I agree with you regarding having "proper" insurance, but it didnt make sense in this case, as the value of the car is sub $1000.

I think its the fact that they've told us a number of lies, and took advantage of people in distress which annoys me the most. And I'd hate to imagine all the people whos hard-earned money is taken by these people.

I can see where your coming from...especially with the low value of the vehicle