Sign in to follow this  
Apex

2KG fire extinguisher & Mounting.

I have entered a clubsport event and according to the rules I need a 2KG fire extinguisher and I need to mount it in front of my front passenger seat.

I thought this would be easy but im struggling to find who does this type of thing, it needs to be mounted to the front seat.

Can anyone recommend a place to have this done, preferably in the South Auckland area?

Thanks

Talk to MLM can get him to make a system similar to his, it bolts up using the two front seat rail bolts.

That way it's removable as they can get in the way of day to day life depending where you put them.

Any fabrication shop should be able to make you a mounting system.

Thanks. I didn’t want to bother him and it’s more a convenience thing finding someone local.

Who actually sells 2KG fire extinguishers, Mitre 10, Supercheap and Repco only do 1.5 apparently.

Becareful with some extinguishers as they do not meet MSNZ standards, standards below:

MSNZ Regs: http://www.motorsport.org.nz/assets/MotorS...-Sch-A-2010.pdf page 19-20

(4) Mounting: Extinguishers shall be installed in accordance with the following:

(a)A retaining system incorporating quick release metal fastenings/straps, or material of equivalent strength (ie Kevlar), secured to the structure of the vehicle by a minimum of two 6mm bolts with panel washers and locknuts.

(B) Hand held extinguishers shall be positioned within easy reach of the occupant/s

while normally seated (not mandatory for single seaters);

© Plumbed-in systems shall have the triggering device accessible/operable by the

occupant/s whilst normally seated.

Give Brett a call from Berton Automotive: 441-2142 and ask him.

Thanks Heath.

Sorted. Remembered Race RX have a Megane R26 so Andy is making one up and using his own car as a blueprint, couldn’t have been easier ^_^

Hi guys,

Can you please clarify for me.

What size extinguisher is required for my car? I've read that under 2L require a smaller extinguisher than over 2L???

Regarding mounting brackets, is there a place which sell stuff off the shelf which could be used or do you generally need a custom made one to suit the application?

Cheers,

Ian

You can buy off the shelf metal brackets.

The trick for you is mounting it. Unfortunatly youll need to drill your body.

Brendon has his in front of but tucked in under the front passengers seat. dont use rivets, use something called rivnuts .. which are a similar system as rivet however the 'rivet' gives you a screw down surface you can attache the bracket too and remove at anytime.

See here

Posted Image

Ollie Mcdermit has a gun and im sure hed be ok to lend to you. youll obviously need to buy your own hardware .. but its cheap as.

Hi guys,

Can you please clarify for me.

What size extinguisher is required for my car? I've read that under 2L require a smaller extinguisher than over 2L???

Regarding mounting brackets, is there a place which sell stuff off the shelf which could be used or do you generally need a custom made one to suit the application?

Cheers,

Ian

go and see ray,he had cains car didnt he,cains car had an extinguisher mounted on one of the front seats

post-332-1297548033.jpg

Edited by kiwi535

If you intend to do any more that trackdays, rivnuts are not legal. You must use minimum 6mm bolts with panel washers and locknuts. They look nice and work well so long as there is no load, they would pull very quickly under impact.

Edited by Silver Fox

If you intend to do any more that trackdays, rivnuts are not legal. You must use minimum 6mm bolts with 8cm x 8 cm x 3mm plates on the underside. They look nice and work well so long as there is no load, they would pull very quickly under impact.

80x80! they would never fit under a seat rail!

I intend to start doing Clubsport events.

Do you know what size extinguisher I require Dave?

Guess I will have to go the custom route by the sounds of it

Sorry, I was thinking of harness mounts, Fire extinguishers are

a) A retaining system incorporating quick release metal fastenings/straps, or

material of equivalent strength (ie Kevlar), secured to the structure of the vehicle

by a minimum of two 6mm bolts with panel washers and locknuts.

Ian, 1kg is the minimum I believe.

4.6 Fire extinguishers:

Important Notes:

BCF extinguishers are no longer accepted under this safety schedule. Advice may be sought

regarding the disposal of these extinguishers from fire extinguisher agents or the MotorSport NZ office.

Servicing requirements for all extinguishers are currently under review by the fire protection industry.

MotorSport NZ will issue details of the revised service requirements as soon as possible.

(1) Requirements: A manual (hand-held) or a mounted (plumbed-in) extinguisher shall be

fitted in accordance with the Extinguisher Requirements Chart A4.6.1 as detailed in Part

Two of this Schedule.

(2) Approved types: Dry powder or Foam type stored pressure extinguishers compliant to

one of the following standards are approved:

· New Zealand Standard

NZ 4503 including updates, and/or

· Australian Standard

AS 1841

(3) Service requirements:

(a) All approved extinguishers with pressure gauges shall:

(i) Be subject to periodic inspection by the competitor to ensure contents

pressure and approximate weight requirements are met, and

(ii) Every five years (from date of manufacture) the units shall be subject to

service audit by a recognised Fire Protection Company who will label the

unit, detailing the company’s name, contact, and service date.

(B) All approved extinguishers without a pressure gauge shall be subject to annual

service audit by a recognised Fire Protection Company who will label the unit,

detailing the company’s name, contact, and service date.

Schedule A

MSNZ Manual 34 Online Edition - 20 -

App 2.02 Sch A 2010.doc

Latest Amendment: 34073 28 Jan 2011

(4) Mounting: Extinguishers shall be installed in accordance with the following:

(a) A retaining system incorporating quick release metal fastenings/straps, or

material of equivalent strength (ie Kevlar), secured to the structure of the vehicle

by a minimum of two 6mm bolts with panel washers and locknuts.

(B) Hand held extinguishers shall be positioned within easy reach of the occupant/s

while normally seated (not mandatory for single seaters);

© Plumbed-in systems shall have the triggering device accessible/operable by the

occupant/s whilst normally seated

Could one not use the front seat mounting points and extend a bracket out to carry the extinquisher and have the release mechanism bracket welded to it.

That’s what I had done.

Go a 2.0 or bigger extinguisher if you can Ian, that way you know its good for any motorsport events in NZ.

A 1kg will do though and you can always mount as second if needed.

Talk to the guys at Hi_Tech motorsport in Drury for a mounting bracket, they made me up a beautiful mount for $160. Looks OEM.

That sounds very expensive for a bracket or am I out of touch with how much things cost these days

Probably is expensive. Like I said, it’s a very nice bracket powder coated black and sits under the front seat rails. They did it overnight and it looks OEM.

You get what you pay for and when you want quality in a hurry you pay for it.

Just an option.

And compared to my other build costs $160 is loose change. The word Motorsport is like the word Wedding, when sales people here it I swear everything doubles in cost.

Thanks for the input guys.

Will do a bit of asking around to see what I can get done. Chances are a mate will make one for me cheap as chips.

The mounting to the seat bracket is a good idea!

Cheers