Sign in to follow this  
OLLIE

Car won't start - E30 320i

Car in question here is my E30 race car.

Started fine the other day, but then when I stopped to get McDonalds it randomly decided to not want to start. After several attempts I decided to give up and eat my lunch, after i'd eaten I turned the key and with a small struggle it started.

The alternator is charging perfectly okay, and i've charged the battery right up to be sure. So the alternator is out of the equation.

The starter motor is turning over, but sounds like it's struggling. When I put a jumper pack on it, I could get it to start okay so.... this led me to believe that my battery was at the end of it's life ... So I bought a new one, charged it up but the same thing is happening.

Any Insight would be awesome, need to get it going ASAP

Have you checked all your earth cables Ollie?? Especialy the engine to chassis one by the R/H engine mount

Edited by *Glenn*

Have you checked all your earth cables Ollie?? Especialy the engine to chassis one by the R/H engine mount

I haven't done a good full earth cable check but I put a jump lead from the battery straight to the motor with no result.

Unless ... the earth cable on the starter motor is the one that's causing problems ...

It could be an earthing or a positive lead problem... check all your battery, starter, alternator & earth leads and connections

I'll check them all first thing when I get home. You think it's more likely this than the actual starter motor playing up?

Without being able to check it, its hard to say...could be a starter fault.. do you have a multimeter ? and do you know how to use it ? (no offence intended )

I have a multimeter but barely know how to use it

Check that strap mentioned above.

I have another working starter motor otherwise if you want it.

Ollie,

Battery, leads, isolator switch, starter

1) Battery has been eliminated

2) Leads/ connections - sounds as if you have eliminated the earth

3) Isolator switch -check voltage in & out - while cranking. Or a good jumper lead from battery positive to starter - bypassing the isolator

4) Starter - if above leads are good - then will be faulty starter. Adding another battery source can mask a starter issue - with the extra current available.

Another possibility but unlikely - over advanced ign timing

Conclusion is that the starter motor is poked .... Putting a replacement in tomorrow, I love leaving things to the last minute.

Huge Thanks to Mike (MK Motorsport in Albany) who worked on the car yesterday to swap the starter motor and get it ready for racing.

And of course a huge thanks to Ray for a replacement starter motor at such short notice.

It's awesome to help this kind of support !!

Glad you are all fixed up mate!

Would have been funny watching Andrew push start you for each session though. :unsure: ..

Glad you are all fixed up mate!

Would have been funny watching Andrew push start you for each session though. :unsure: ..

hahaha great call, too true

See you tmoro Ollie, had a great day today, wind and rain and dead gazebos and all.