Sign in to follow this  
Lucan

Internet Providers

Think this was covered before but deals etc change all the time.

I'm moving out and need to set up new home phone / internet connections.

Never had to bother setting up this kind of thing before.

Who are you with and what do you get?

Anyone I should stay away from, bad/good experiences or anything else I should know? :mellow:

Thanks in advance internet users..

Chur

try orcon, they're pretty decent and reliable. My mate was on Big Time, with 270kbs dl speed, then when he switched to orcon, he got 350kbs.

Big time was damn good, but its now cancelled, so im gonna switch to orcon soon as well, due to their no term contract policy.

Orcon: 50gb with phone line only, 120 bucks a month.

Telecom is gonna come up with another unlimited plan, so i dont wanna get shackled to something i cant pull out of.

arrr

go to http://www.telecom.co.nz/broadband/speed/adsl2

and tell us if you can get ADSL2+

and how much internet you think you will be using?

going to download like crazy?

Yep I'm within range or whatever.

Probably wouldn't need more than 10-15GB a month

Slingshot, old Inferno plan.

Free offpeak, FS up/down. Very little compliants from me, apart from the odd occasion where it plays up (very rare)

You should see some of the data I use... I made a graph once..

I've got the vodafone ultimate plan.

Customer Service is A+, Far better than I ever experienced with Telecom

Really????? Vodafone service is crap - real crap. 45 minute waiting times and then someone clueless on the other end. Na, disagree.

Guest Simon*

+1 and it has been bloody good

Haven't needed customer service or helpdesk

Telecom is gonna come up with another unlimited plan, so i dont wanna get shackled to something i cant pull out of.

Really, any idea when?

I'm locked for another 3 months with Xtra paying about $100 for phone and 20gb...thinking of switching too Slingshot, whats customer service and DL speeds like?

+1

Really????? Vodafone service is crap - real crap. 45 minute waiting times and then someone clueless on the other end. Na, disagree.

Vodafone forums are great, any problems/want to moan, do it there, the Admin are mostly higher up the food chain at VF and are always helpful.

Example; when we first got connected our speeds were slow as sh*t, took it to the forums, one of the guys personally rung me up, had Chorus come out and re-wire our house for free - all within a couple of days (including saturday).

Just my experience, They couple of problems I've had, Phones been picked up in under 5minutes and problem sorted promptly.

I've been with XNET - service has been bullet proof for 4 years.

Speeds are great

post-1717-1285269829.jpg

Edited by mackt

Telecom 40gb per month @ 1.15MByte p/sec on ADSL2

Isn't that ridiculously slow for ADSL2?

We're on slingshot in Hamilton. During the day we can DL off rapidshare at 1.6mbs and our line speed is 13mbs. At night, this slows down to a download speed of 15kbs. Customer service is absolutely shocking

1.15Mb/s is far from slow.

ADSL2 = 12MBit (Max 1.2Mb/s download)

ADSL2+ = 24Mbit (Max 2.4Mb/s download)

It all really depends on distance from exchange, line gauge/quality and the quality of your houses internal wiring and equipment. It's very rare to actually make the full advertised speed of ADSL2+ unless the telephone exchange building is on your street.

You can call your ISP and ask them a rough cable distance and post it here, and I can tell you what sort of speeds to expect. If the ISP is using ADSL2+ and you move to another ISP with ADSL2+, you shouldn't expect too much of a difference in speed unless the port at the exchange had something wrong with it...

We're on slingshot in Hamilton. During the day we can DL off rapidshare at 1.6mbs and our line speed is 13mbs. At night, this slows down to a download speed of 15kbs. Customer service is absolutely shocking

On a 13Mbit connection, depending on where you are downloading from you would get up to 1.3Mb/s

15kb/s sounds like you've either gone over your limit and are capped to 128k speeds, you're downloading/testing from a terrible server, or there are crazy congestion issues on Slingshot's network.

You sound like you know what your on about.

Who would you suggest as a provider?

Update: I don't need a homeline anymore but do need the hardware to set everything up :S

Really depends what you want.

Orcon & Vodafone both now have "Naked DSL" which means you don't have to pay for a phone line, so it's good value if you don't ever use the landline. They are both also on ADSL2+ in most of Auckland.

I've used xnet too, last time I was with them they were ADSL1 and had bad congestion.

I'd probably go for Orcon. They have good call times if you need help, and friendly staff. Pricing is good. Speed is good and no contracts. Just remember all telco companies are frustrating to deal with because they all link back to telecom in the end, except cable Internet through telstraclear in chch and Wellington ;)