Sign in to follow this  
JaseNZ

Something up with telecom.

I don't know about anybody else but my internet connection speed seems to have doubled over the past couple of weeks. I have noticed when downloading that when i am expecting something to take 1/2 an hour its done in a few minutes. Don't get me wrong this is fantastic but is dangerous when you are on the pro plan with only 40 gig as that can get chewed up very quickly when you are getting speeds like this.

Posted Image

Sh!t that's quick!! I've never had faster than about 5...though bandwidth been smashed this month so faster for me to use my iPhone to use the net then the bloody speed it's running now lol

download quickly, don't go over your cap. Seems pretty simple to me lol.

download quickly, don't go over your cap. Seems pretty simple to me lol.

Not worried about going over my cap, Was just more curious on why such the big jump is speed when its normally pretty mediocre at best.

Telecom a trying there best to get a part of the 1.8Bill from the fiber to the door plan.

Have you just been put onto to adsl2+?

Telecom a trying there best to get a part of the 1.8Bill from the fiber to the door plan.

Have you just been put onto to adsl2+?

^this, your local exchange must have made the move to adsl2

+1 on the ADSL2 upgrade.You can check on the telecom site,just search ADSL2.Im getting the same speeds with SNAP after upgrade.

Same thing happened in Tauranga. Went from about 1mbps to 12mbps overnight. Sooooo good.

Also, for anyone who doesn't know, on the last day of your billing month, you can download as much as you want at full speeds regardless if you've gone over your allowance already.

what i find funny is that most people have old modem/routers but somehow still getting ADSL2+

Same thing happened in Tauranga. Went from about 1mbps to 12mbps overnight. Sooooo good.

Also, for anyone who doesn't know, on the last day of your billing month, you can download as much as you want at full speeds regardless if you've gone over your allowance already.

^ is that true? I dl heaps just a couple of gigs before i go over my cap.

^^ as long as you are under you limit on the last day you will be fine when it comes to downloading heaps. When it comes to midnight however, reset your router so any downloads are counted in your next month.

I hope that makes sense, I may need to edit this in the morning when I'm sober.

Some older modems could handle ADSL2, some of the really old ones won't. Some ADSL2 modems work better than others.

To get full use of the ADSL2 you need an ADSL2 modem, and a plan that doesn't restrict your upload speed. I can't recall the exact figure but when using TCPIP downloads the protocol requires about 1 bit upload for every 8 or so bits downloaded.

Log in to your DSL modem to check you line sync speed ypstream and downstream. ADSL2 will be about 24mbps download sync speed. Download tests from a local server with a high capacity connection will be blisteringly fast. Downloading from another user who is connected via ADSL will be slower due to the ADSL technology having a much bigger download capacity than upload. Synchronous DSL has equal up and down speeds.

Jimbo

Gotta Love cable :) - Posted Image

I should get back into the gaming haha!

Hmmm... Vodafone "representative" not "salesman" just came around, offering ADSL2+ for $10 cheaper than our current telecom plan with 10GB more and a free ADSL 2+ router. Aparently ADSL2+ went in our street last week.

Anyone on vodafone?

Telecom

Posted Image

Ill test it again on vodafone and see if actually 6x faster like the nice sales man said :D

Edited by Jacko

The 2 of you from CHCh you understand that you have sever down there so when you do that test the lines dont have to go to alk back to you...

Anywhere in the north we have to send to alk then back to the server then to our house..

Thats why i hate speed tests. I live 10M away from fibered ADSL2+ Line and get around 20ish when i speedtest i get 10-15

so when you live in ChCh you send down the road to the main server then to the server your sending/downloading from then back to your house. a max of what 20km?

Thats why you can get pro ping/down/up

The 2 of you from CHCh you understand that you have sever down there so when you do that test the lines dont have to go to alk back to you...

Anywhere in the north we have to send to alk then back to the server then to our house..

Thats why i hate speed tests. I live 10M away from fibered ADSL2+ Line and get around 20ish when i speedtest i get 10-15

so when you live in ChCh you send down the road to the main server then to the server your sending/downloading from then back to your house. a max of what 20km?

Thats why you can get pro ping/down/up

I would say less then 20km's for me more like 5-7 ish, Their pro plan is pretty stupid though, why have decent speeds but a very low cap of 40 gig. 80 - 100 would be more like what i would need. Then again the old adage of the more you get the more you want stands i guess.

Edited by M-Spec

Posted Image

Yeah bhoy, sitting on a bed in Christchurch. Using my $20 bucks per GB Internet.

Posted Image

Owned.....Rural Eketahuna FTL

Thats pretty terrible download speed - whats the line sync speed?

Unfortunately the economics of getting decent rural broadband using either copper or fibre is problamatic. Cabinets are expensive, as is trenching new fibre. The government has a rural broadband initiative but I don't know how that is going to work. I'd predict a mix of solutions including wireless eventually.

Current DSL technologies are only good for about 5km, and DSL2 isn't as good at distance as DSL1. Comcom regulating that the modems had to run full power and not allowing Telecom to reduce the power level of modems close to the exchange has adversly affected those at the ends of long copper lines, while providing at best a marginal improvement in speed to those close by. Great intentions but infortuantely you can't regulate the laws of physics.