Sign in to follow this  
speros@macris.co.nz

Buying A BMW E36

Have everything checked in a pre purchase, somewhere reputable.

Hi I'm new. And looking at buying my first BMW. Does any one have any helpful hints on what to check when looking at buying an E36. <_<

Hi - I'm only on my first BMW (an E36) and I would recommend Car Inspection Services for a thorough check over assuming you are in Auckland or Wellington.

My personal opinion is get one with a decent motor and then over time work on other things like wheels , stereo , body etc...

I bought mine cheaply but my first service was $1700!!! Just a little bit more pricy than my old Toyota was!!

Common issues seem to be saggy door and roofs , and according to a guy I saw today , air conditioning. I have heard of others having troubles with electrics - I'm unsure how much of that can be checked pre purchase.

Good luck!! They are awesome cars - you won't regret it.

I bought mine cheaply but my first service was $1700!!! Just a little bit more pricy than my old Toyota was!!

Wow, what did you get done to it?

Get one with 3 pedals - i have one for sale!

Hi - I'm only on my first BMW (an E36) and I would recommend Car Inspection Services for a thorough check over assuming you are in Auckland or Wellington

It is far better to go to a BMW service centre for an inspection. Car Inspection Services are fine when it comes to your run of the mill car, but BMW's are a little different. An inspection by someone who is very familiar with what you are buying will give you a good idea of the quality of the vehicle and what future problems you might encounter. One note, BMW's are NOT overly expensive to maintain contrary to the general opinion. If you keep it well maintained, it will give you years of happy motoring.

Best of luck in your purchase.

Have everything checked in a pre purchase, somewhere reputable.

+1. There are plenty of buyers guides that will help you get familiar with the common stuff. Decide what engine and trim level you want and wait it out for the right one. There are so many around online turnover is pretty high. When you find one you like, post it in the TM discussion forum for comments. Stay away from dealers! Good luck!

Welcome to Bimmersport!

I have an e36 328 for sale if your interested. Its in the for sale section.

Since no-ones mentioned it, approach the Jatco auto transmission with caution, there are lots of bushings that can need replacing, its common for the headlining to start falling down and window problems seem to be common too.

Oh yeah, and M3 water pumps are $650+GST if you need one in a hurry. Haha

^ Lies!!!!

Get at least a 325i, Manual because you know eventually you're gonna want a third pedal.

^ Lies!!!!

Get at least a 325i, Manual because you know eventually you're gonna want a third pedal.

Agreed.

For the record, I love Michael's car.

Get at least a Manual 328i beacause they are as economical and cheap as a 325i with extra newton metres.

Just buy an M3 and be done with it.

Like what has all ready been said watch out for cooling system problems and Jatco jerk

What do you want from the car?

Hi - I'm only on my first BMW (an E36) and I would recommend Car Inspection Services for a thorough check over assuming you are in Auckland or Wellington.

My personal opinion is get one with a decent motor and then over time work on other things like wheels , stereo , body etc...

Common issues seem to be saggy door and roofs , and according to a guy I saw today , air conditioning. I have heard of others having troubles with electrics - I'm unsure how much of that can be checked pre purchase.

Good luck!! They are awesome cars - you won't regret it.

Wow, what did you get done to it?

ah , lets see - just asked for the full service combo , no upscaling - oil/filter/bulbs/ drive belt/ drive belt tensioner/ball joints/bust set/rack end/spark plugs..i think for labour they just pick a phone number out of the white pages and double it !! :-)