Sign in to follow this  
swordfish

Best car audio shop with best prices

The question is simple: Where can i get Pioneer P700BT head unit for the cheapest price possible? :)

Thank you.

It continually astounds me how people are too lazy to have a look around themselves. Have you tried googling NZ websites or even tried phoning around?

I get mine from the importer but even then it’s not far off the cost of a parallel imported item.

The guy that run Chances Surf Wear also imports a fair whack of it and I had luck with him getting Pioneer equipment in the past.

It continually astounds me how people are too lazy to have a look around themselves. Have you tried googling NZ websites or even tried phoning around?

Well I am going to break your stereotype right away!!! I have spent 6 hours browsing the internet for this particular unit. I have almost bought three of those on different international websites (Amazon, Ebay etc.) for obvious reasons (they are cheaper; not much, but still cheaper). I was not able to buy them at the end because Amazon does not send units overseas and I have performed my common check on the eBay seller and he ended up to be a scammer (again used Google lol)!!! I know some of my questions would seem stupid to you, but I am very careful with the stuff I buy and due to insufficient funds or more to do with lack of it I have asked for help here... as many of us would.

So, I hope this would change your behaviour towards some of us ;)

Thank for the comment anyways... :P

Edited by swordfish

I get mine from the importer but even then it’s not far off the cost of a parallel imported item.

The guy that run Chances Surf Wear also imports a fair whack of it and I had luck with him getting Pioneer equipment in the past.

Awesome thanks a lot! Yeah I have seen the parallelimported one... but I don't really want to buy it for that price when overseas it costs almost 100 bucks cheaper... :( Is there any chance I can contact the Chances Surf Wear guy???

Cheers

Edited by swordfish

Well I am going to break your stereotype right away!!! I have spent 6 hours browsing the internet for this particular unit. I have almost bought three of those on different international websites (Amazon, Ebay etc.) for obvious reasons (they are cheaper; not much, but still cheaper). I was not able to buy them at the end because Amazon does not send units overseas and I have performed my common check on the eBay seller and he ended up to be a scammer (again used Google lol)!!! I know some of my questions would seem stupid to you, but I am very careful with the stuff I buy and due to insufficient funds or more to do with lack of it I have asked for help here... as many of us would.

So, I hope this would change your behaviour towards some of us ;)

Thank for the comment anyways... :P

If you had actually put that info in your first post it would have made things a whole lot clearer :D

(Mental note: Swordfish is not lazy - just cheap :P )

If it is only $100 more expensive for a locally sourced unit surely you would be better buying it here?? At least if you buy it locally and anything goes wrong you wil have 100% more chance of getting it fixed. Surely $100 is cheap for peace of mind?

Don't forget if you buy it overseas you may also get stung for GST through customs which would also almost cancel out the $100 :)

Edited by e38king

No problems, this forum is quite the sh*t hole at times.

I couldn’t find “Chances guy†details as it’s been a few years, he does run it under a different entity out of his chances office in Papakura and im sure if you called he would be helpful, I don’t fancy your luck getting it any cheaper than parallel importers though.

Paul Money is good also, I have always got a fair deal there with a bit of haggling and a wad of cash.

TBH I would only buy locally for the simple reason if anything goes wrong you have back up, I have had two pioneer head decks sh*t the bed on installation and was lucky both times they were fixed or replaced. Well worth the extra $100.

It’s a good head deck though so stick to your guns, the only alternative deck I would look at would be the JVC KD-R716 it has the same features, is cheaper and is arguably more user friendly.

JVC KD-R716

Pioneer P700BT

Not sure what prices are in the shops for the Pioneer but the JVC unit is less on trademe than the RRP on the JVC site. You can usually knock down the price with the trademe sellers if the unit doesn't sell in their listings too.

According to pricespy, parallel imported price is $592.00... you could try calling Jonvy Audio in Northcote, they have good deals. Got my CDA9887 for $550 there recently, and they only charge $40 for an install, if you cant be bothered doing it yourself.

No problems, this forum is quite the sh*t hole at times.

I couldn’t find “Chances guy†details as it’s been a few years, he does run it under a different entity out of his chances office in Papakura and im sure if you called he would be helpful, I don’t fancy your luck getting it any cheaper than parallel importers though.

Paul Money is good also, I have always got a fair deal there with a bit of haggling and a wad of cash.

TBH I would only buy locally for the simple reason if anything goes wrong you have back up, I have had two pioneer head decks sh*t the bed on installation and was lucky both times they were fixed or replaced. Well worth the extra $100.

It’s a good head deck though so stick to your guns, the only alternative deck I would look at would be the JVC KD-R716 it has the same features, is cheaper and is arguably more user friendly.

Try 'Hyper' - it's near Sylvia park and also online. I've got excellent prices fro Pioneer gear from them. They are Pioneer dealers and undercut Paul Money by $650 on each of my Pioneer Amps ($999 at Pauls, $349 at Hyper - with free delivery). It was a special but damn they do have good prices at times.

If you buy from the US then chances are you won't be able to listen to NZ FM radio. They work on odd decimals over there and try finding a band expander for 0.1 is near impossible

Thanks guys this helps a lot! I think I will stick with Pioneer and wait for a few weeks until I get more money :)

Any specific reason you want the Pioneer one? Have you looked at the JVC KD-R816 which is about $200 cheaper than the P700bt and has pretty much the same feature set.

Any specific reason you want the Pioneer one? Have you looked at the JVC KD-R816 which is about $200 cheaper than the P700bt and has pretty much the same feature set.

Lol well I read about it a lot. It seems to satisfy all my needs like BT cellphone connection etc. Also the colour of display is very close to BMW backlight... However you are right JVC seems pretty much the same... How is the sound quality on it?! never had one...

Edited by swordfish

What is the rest of your audio system and do you have any expansion plans? ie adding a sub or amping all the speakers etc?

What is the rest of your audio system and do you have any expansion plans? ie adding a sub or amping all the speakers etc?

I have new "Kappa" series Infinity rear and front speakers and tweeters. All speaker component have separate crossovers. Also Infinity 10" sub and Response four channel amp. Cheers. :)

Guessing you're amping fronts and sub and running rears from headunit. So 2 pair RCA will work for you if you wanted to go even cheaper. You're running a basic system with reasonable quality components and any of these midrange headunits will provide sufficient sq that the differences between them won't really be noticeable on your system

The JVC R816 is a good unit; BT works well and ipod control is fast. I've only had a little play with one and can't remember how well the interface worked (ie how easy is it to search the ipod, or dial a call). I'd expect the Pioneer to be on a par in terms of sound quality but haven't played with that unit so can't comment firmly.

I run a higher end JVC in 2 of my cars and they've both gone well. The interfaces could be improved, but otherwise I'm happy to recommend them.

Drop into your local Repco or the like and see if they've got one on their demo board. Have a good play with it and see how easy/difficult it is to use. Seems that illumination colour is important to you, if so look at the r816 with has the varicolour illumination. Otherwise the r716 is cheaper, has 2 pair rca and only basic illumination.

I was sure the R716 still had quite a few colours to switch through.

Pioneers interface is still crap, most are, I still prefer to control tracks through my I-Pod, most intuitive way by far, I have just resorted back to a basic AUX input on mine.

Guessing you're amping fronts and sub and running rears from headunit. So 2 pair RCA will work for you if you wanted to go even cheaper. You're running a basic system with reasonable quality components and any of these midrange headunits will provide sufficient sq that the differences between them won't really be noticeable on your system

The JVC R816 is a good unit; BT works well and ipod control is fast. I've only had a little play with one and can't remember how well the interface worked (ie how easy is it to search the ipod, or dial a call). I'd expect the Pioneer to be on a par in terms of sound quality but haven't played with that unit so can't comment firmly.

I run a higher end JVC in 2 of my cars and they've both gone well. The interfaces could be improved, but otherwise I'm happy to recommend them.

Drop into your local Repco or the like and see if they've got one on their demo board. Have a good play with it and see how easy/difficult it is to use. Seems that illumination colour is important to you, if so look at the r816 with has the varicolour illumination. Otherwise the r716 is cheaper, has 2 pair rca and only basic illumination.

Great thank you for your help! And yes I am running rears on the unit and sub and front components on the amp... Haven't set the front speakers yet, hence still have the old speakers in... Thats why looking for a new unit to do the wiring properly. As soon as I buy that the unit this will be my last step before I set it up. Ok, will go around shops on the weekend. :)

I was sure the R716 still had quite a few colours to switch through.

Pioneers interface is still crap, most are, I still prefer to control tracks through my I-Pod, most intuitive way by far, I have just resorted back to a basic AUX input on mine.

Fair enough but the quality is not as good as through the aux as through the digital cable and in Pioneer if you plug your iPod in you can only choose songs on the unit not on the iPod at least this is what happens to mine...