Sign in to follow this  
ACS523i

E39 Performance Module ?

Hi

A friend of mine with a 98 523i has been given a 'performance module' that he wants to put in.

A mate of his bought it off Trademe a couple of years back, it's like a wire with a rubber bit in the middle and you fit it on the Airflow sensor, supposedley giving more power & torque 'not at the expense of fuel economy'.

I'm a little dubeous, has anyone heard of or fitted these performance modules?? Do they work, or cause problems??

Cheers

Steve

Hi

A friend of mine with a 98 523i has been given a 'performance module' that he wants to put in.

A mate of his bought it off Trademe a couple of years back, it's like a wire with a rubber bit in the middle and you fit it on the Airflow sensor, supposedley giving more power & torque 'not at the expense of fuel economy'.

I'm a little dubeous, has anyone heard of or fitted these performance modules?? Do they work, or cause problems??

Cheers

Steve

Its a resistor. Throw it in bin ;)

Edit - ^ Haha Great minds Glenn.

http://qcwo.com/technicaldomain/iat-resist...l-chips#more-64

Edited by Jacko

fixed

+1!

Thanks Guys

I have advised him accordingly to file his 'resistor' under R ....... I guess if it looks cheap nasty and flimsy - then it is huh??

Now he's talking turbocharging his 5 - talk about flip flopping :blink: OFFS!!! :rolleyes:

Have told him if he wants a Hairdryer powered wagon, then do it true and proper and Source an old BMW Alpina B10 Bi-Turbo !!!!!!!!!! :ph34r:

post-2173-1287514771.jpg

lolwut?

There are some interesting mods on esstuning.com for E39s incl. steptronic improvement software and an ECU thingy which I cant remember but both looked interesting. The ECU boasted an improvement of 5hp? About 500NZD each as I recall.

Hi

Cheers

Steve

Don't throw it away like Glenn said!

It is a proper performance module to measure the performance of your E39.

Here is how it works:

1. Carefully unpack it and make sure it is clean and free of grease. This is important, as grease can severly affect the performance of these modules

2. For the installation and initial usage of the device, choose a suitable area where you can test the car to its full performance, such as a deserted racetrack, industrial area late at night, or a shopping mall car park

3. Position the vehicle so that at least 200m of clear road surface exists ahead of you, and 100m clear area behind you

4. Ensure the engine has reached normal operating temperature and that tyres are correctly inflated

5. Ensure all flag marshals and viewers are clear of the road. Ensure cameras are running to record the performance test.

6. The important bit: now carefully place the device in front of your left, rear wheel. Just so it touches the wheel.

7. Get in the car, buckle up seat belt, start engine, and perform your best racing start you can

8. Return to your starting point. Locate the device and measure its distance from your starting point and it's size

You can then calculate your vehicle performance using the formula:

distance_from_starting_point_in_m * percentage_reduction_in_size = performance_factor

Tip:

To assist in assessing how other factors such as fuel type, tyre selection and launch style can affect vehicle performance, you can repeat the tests with more performance modules.

These tests are best performed on factory-new, unopened performance modules

I can supply them in boxes of 10 for only $29.95 per box (including bimmersport discount).

Special offer: Order 3 boxes, and you get a free baseball cap.

Order now on 0900-Imadumass

Edited by jochen

best performance module for a 5er is a m62TUB44

Now hybrid, you are still new to E39s so I may forgive you for your grave and serious error

The best performance module is NOT the M62TUB44, but rather the S62B50

By a long shot....

Posted Image

Edited by jochen

Whats the realistic hope of finding one of those in this country! (I acutally know of one but thats another story)

I better start saving..

For the S62B50 or Jochens special $29.95 kit ? :P

Don't throw it away like Glenn said!

It is a proper performance module to measure the performance of your E39.

Here is how it works:

1. Carefully unpack it and make sure it is clean and free of grease. This is important, as grease can severly affect the performance of these modules

2. For the installation and initial usage of the device, choose a suitable area where you can test the car to its full performance, such as a deserted racetrack, industrial area late at night, or a shopping mall car park

3. Position the vehicle so that at least 200m of clear road surface exists ahead of you, and 100m clear area behind you

4. Ensure the engine has reached normal operating temperature and that tyres are correctly inflated

5. Ensure all flag marshals and viewers are clear of the road. Ensure cameras are running to record the performance test.

6. The important bit: now carefully place the device in front of your left, rear wheel. Just so it touches the wheel.

7. Get in the car, buckle up seat belt, start engine, and perform your best racing start you can

8. Return to your starting point. Locate the device and measure its distance from your starting point and it's size

You can then calculate your vehicle performance using the formula:

distance_from_starting_point_in_m * percentage_reduction_in_size = performance_factor

Tip:

To assist in assessing how other factors such as fuel type, tyre selection and launch style can affect vehicle performance, you can repeat the tests with more performance modules.

These tests are best performed on factory-new, unopened performance modules

I can supply them in boxes of 10 for only $29.95 per box (including bimmersport discount).

Special offer: Order 3 boxes, and you get a free baseball cap.

Order now on 0900-Imadumass

Tee Hee, Oh you sooooooooo fuuuuneeeeeeeeeee .......... :rolleyes: - I think he actually flushed it in the end - so it's now measuring the acceleration/ terminal speed down a pipe of something alot browner than his Beemer right now :ph34r: