Sign in to follow this  
deeveus

Sky

I've bought a crib about 140km north of here and it has a Sky dish already installed. Being a miser where possible I don't want to have to fork out for another sky subscription to get a reception. I'm not keen on FreeView either as the normal reception is hopeless. We plan to go about once/twice a month and over christmas most of the time there so there's no point in paying 50 odd dollars per month for something that isn't going to be used.

We have sky digital at home (not HDi) and was wondering if it's at all possible when we goto the crib is actually take the sky decoder up and plug it in and it would work?

Any help is appreciated.

It should be fine. Freeview satellite is another option. Uses the same dish as sky, so if you have sky reception, you'll have freeview reception.

Mint. Thats excellent actually, I was thinking about upgrading to MySky HDI as I just upgraded our TV to a 42" LG LCD 1080p, our old 37" LG is going up on the wall @ the crib. Would it still work with mysky in both places or do they upgrade the dish?

Edited by The Diesel Guy

When they upgrade you to HDi its likely they will also upgrade your dish to a quad LNB. Its only future proofing and you get no real benefit from it unless like me you have an HTPC aswell and want to get the SBS channels from Aussie.

But ultimately I think you should be able to use the HDi STB at both places.

A DVB-S STB will only set you back $50-$75 on TM and a little more will get you one which will record to a USB drive too. It will take all of ten mins to plug it in and have freeview through the existing Sky dish.

DVB-S is not HD in the same way as DVB-T, but with your old LG you wont notice much, if any, difference

If you are unlucky, the two dishes ( home and bach ) may have different LNBs meaning a setting change when you swap decoder from place to place.

But that is not a biggie, and once you have done it once, and written the settings down, you will be able to do it in a couple of minutes.

The again, you may be lucky and both will be the same, and it will just be plug and play :)

Edited by camera doctor

What camera doctor said,

Have a friend who does the same, swaps between Dunedin and Manapori, takes decoder with him between home and holiday home.

You have had to however adjust settings, but as long as the dish hasn't moved since it was originally installed it shouldn't be a problem, just note the settings between home and play.

http://www.satmax.co.nz/support.htm

Edited by Phatputer

What camera doctor said,

Have a friend who does the same, swaps between Dunedin and Manapori, takes decoder with him between home and holiday home.

You have had to however adjust settings, but as long as the dish hasn't moved since it was originally installed it shouldn't be a problem, just note the settings between home and play.

http://www.satmax.co.nz/support.htm

The guy was using it up until a year ago and rekon'd it worked fine :)