Sign in to follow this  
jimbo01

Mercedes Benz AMG ML55

I'm looking arround at suitable replacements for the Honda Odyssey. The Honda Oduyssey is a fine family MPV but it isn't exactly a perfromnance machine, and while distinctly lacking much perfromance, it's pretty thirsty on the gas (55 litres for 400 km).

I'm quite interested in the Mercedes Benz AMG ML55. Pretty fast for a SUV, and damn they sound great. WHile having full independant suspension they still have a separate frame so good off road capability. Only down side seems to be they have an enormus plastic housing for the spare wheel inside the back of the car. Not sure why as the lesser ML models don't waste space like this.

The price of these seems to be getting reasonable - for example this on is $30,000.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=322389744

Is there some thing better out there for the money?

Also considering a later model 2004/5 ML350 which has a 3.7 litre V6, and 7 seats (the back 2 seats are removable).

E: Fixed link for the listing challenged ;-)

Edited by Simon*

You could get a pretty good E53 X5 4.4i or 4.8i or even 4.6is if you lucky for round that area.

Here's a pretty good 4.4i http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/C...n-320785443.htm

Better looking than the merc I think as well as interior but they sound just as good when you boot it.

Mum has an ML500 which is the 5.5l V8 so I'm fairly sure the same as a ML55? It's 08. Unfortunately not AMG :( but it's a great car IMO. It is her 3rd or 4th M Class, her first of the new shape but honestly, she loves them. We've never had any problems with any of the ones we've had. Now that I can drive hers I look for any excuse to haha.

But more ONT:

A range rover of similar price: http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/C...n-326228653.htm

X5 $30k - http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/C...n-322722245.htm

The X5 seems like quite good value?

I would expect 18l/100km out of the AMG and servicing costs that would make your eyes water, ask Glenn about brake costs.

Don't even think bout a Range Rover. We were speaking to Adam Clayton ( Jerry Claytons son ) And he said that all his guys in the industry were always booked with Range Rovers. They the most unreliable thing ever. I still love the interior and the luxuries but more luxuries you have the more can go wrong I guess.

They the most unreliable thing ever.

Yeah I've heard of their unreliability also. Get a Bimmer.

Top gear says no:

A road test on the BBC programme Top Gear revealed that the presenter, Jeremy Clarkson, could put his fingers into the gap below the rear lights and above the rear bumper. This improved over the years, especially after a mild facelift for 2002. However, owners are often unhappy with the car's quality — for example, the car was placed last out of 142 cars in the Top Gear Motoring Survey 2004. DaimlerChrysler spent US$600 million on improvements at the Alabama factory before launching the second-generation ML in 2005.

Wikipedia

Look at it:

Posted Image

Ugliest car ever.

I seem to remember the build quality in the earlier MLs not being that great and despite appearances, they are very large.

Get an X5 :)

I've driven an ML500 and happened to look at the average fuel consumption, 19.6L/100km, i had to look twice.

A road test on the BBC programme Top Gear revealed that the presenter, Jeremy Clarkson, could put his fingers into the gap below the rear lights and above the rear bumper. This improved over the years, especially after a mild facelift for 2002. However, owners are often unhappy with the car's quality — for example, the car was placed last out of 142 cars in the Top Gear Motoring Survey 2004. DaimlerChrysler spent US$600 million on improvements at the Alabama factory before launching the second-generation ML in 2005.

I would be concerned about the Alabama bit. I've owned many American built cars and it baffles me how people have the audacity to say euro's have bad build quality lol.

If it's economy you're after get a 4.4 X5 for that kinda money.

Otherwise the ML 55 is a brilliant unit (same engine as my old CLK-55AMG), performance wise they are quicker than a 4.6is but the X5 seems to handle better, ML also sounds better. I also don't think the build quality is quite the same as the X5 though.

They're both great cars the 4.6is and ML-55 but I just can't justify the fuel consumption because the best I could get out of the 4.6is was 17 per 100km

The best I could get out of the 4.6is was 17 per 100km

Hey hey haha The trick is to use it in sports mode and thrash it. Way down to Levin we got it to 15.1/100km. Around Auckland it sits at 16.

Spoken to a few people who have driven both the Ml55, Cayenne, and 4.6is and They all say the X5 just feels better, much much better handling, not as quick in a straight line but as a package I think most will agree the x5 is the better car. The X5 just looks cooler, like its just silly, which is so cool. Like the super wide tyre's its just silly for a SUV but its makes me like it.

Guest Ari Gold

I'm quite interested in the Mercedes Benz AMG ML55. Pretty fast for a SUV, and damn they sound great. WHile having full independant suspension they still have a separate frame so good off road capability.

No, no no. If it doesn't have independent diff locks, it's a soft roader and will get stuck on wet grass.

I would never EVER buy a BMW / Mercedes / Porsche / luxury brand 4x4 for anything other than sitting higher on the road than everyone else. They're all large heaps of sh*t at the end of the day.

No, no no. If it doesn't have independent diff locks, it's a soft roader and will get stuck on wet grass.

I would never EVER buy a BMW / Mercedes / Porsche / luxury brand 4x4 for anything other than sitting higher on the road than everyone else. They're all large heaps of sh*t at the end of the day.

This is my X5 here, they were lent it for the Dakar Visit My Website

You could get a pretty good E53 X5 4.4i or 4.8i or even 4.6is if you lucky for round that area.

Here's a pretty good 4.4i http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/C...n-320785443.htm

Better looking than the merc I think as well as interior but they sound just as good when you boot it.

Been down to Jeff Gray on Friday and checked out a couple of X5's. I agree they are better looking than the Merc so I'm now looking at an X5.

Haing just fitted Nav to my 740i I think I'll get one with Nav already fitted so am looking at a 2003 onwards model.

Thanks

Got to be better than a Honda Odyssey V6 4WD though!

Got to be better than a Honda Odyssey V6 4WD though!

Agreed, full stop.

Good to hear we've seen the light on a X5. ML's are nice but I don't think they are quite the quality of the X.

30 k would get ya 3 very nice E30's.... Thats seating for 15 people!, And the world would have one less SUV/MPV on the road :D

How many bums do you actually need to fit into the vehicle?

How many bums do you actually need to fit into the vehicle?

Four or five (unless they belong to hot women, them I'm OK to squeeze more in)

Black or Blue X5 is preference. I't got the one feature we liked in our old 2006 Mitsi Outlander, the fold down rear loading shelf. Great for getting changed after tramping, skiing, caving, football etc.

Four or five (unless they belong to hot women, them I'm OK to squeeze more in)

Old Merc ML can have 7 seats :)

What is the fuel economy difference between the X5 4.4 v8 and the il6 3.0 petrol.

That fuel consumption site shows 13.1 litres per 100km for the V8, and 12.7 litres per 100km for the 3.0. if thats right I'm wondering what the point of the 3.0 litre petrol is?

What is the fuel economy difference between the X5 4.4 v8 and the il6 3.0 petrol.

That fuel consumption site shows 13.1 litres per 100km for the V8, and 12.7 litres per 100km for the 3.0. if thats right I'm wondering what the point of the 3.0 litre petrol is?

The 4.6is sits at 16.0 round auckland and 15.7 on the open road so not sure if theres much of a difference between that and the 4.4 but 13.1 seems a bit generous.