Sign in to follow this  
Gotheschu

2012 M5 photos

Looks wide as hell, but freaking mean!!

Dont forget though, the 3.0 F1 V10's put out 750-800kw and BMW has that knowledge...so power output via N/A engines should not be the issue!

IMO BMW + Turbo just cheapens things up in my eyes (obviously not the cost) and brings some of that Bimmer Aura down :rolleyes:

Huge N/A power isn't that hard. Any company can make a strung out as **** engine and tune it so hard to produce so march HP.

Doing it reliably is impossible. XXX power with a turbo is so much more reliable than an N/A motor achieving XXX power.

They dont need to make it a strung out engine at all ... all you do is increase cubes and you have power.

They dont need to make it a strung out engine at all ... all you do is increase cubes and you have power.

....and bad emissions and weight.

I owned a 335i for 3 years - which is a 3.0 twin turbo I6. Brilliant fuel economy, V8 killing performance and great handling....

...then I sold it and bought a V8, because I realised I wasn't a hippie.

Huge N/A power isn't that hard. Any company can make a strung out as **** engine and tune it so hard to produce so march HP.

Doing it reliably is impossible. XXX power with a turbo is so much more reliable than an N/A motor achieving XXX power.

Impossible is a big call too make!!

Obviously my idea wouldn't have a V10 putting out 1000bhp doing 19000rpm like F1's do, though even the strung out F1 engines have to be reliable these days as engine replacements are only allowed every 2-3 races without receiving a penalty.

so having a 500-600bhp V10 is know where near impossible.

Don't get me wrong i don't mind turbos, own and have owned many...i still stick with my original statement that turboing an M5 cheapens the brand.

What the hell has merc been doing all this time ? Sorry but turbos aren't the only way to solve the problem.

As for weight, thats incorrect. Todays engines are much lighter and stronger including v8/v10 etc etc.

The new process of pressing and sleeving into alloy and magnesium composite blocks has allowed BMW to get the best of both worlds.

Mercedes Benz is aiming to have every model turbo charged by 2015.

Off topic, did the US market eventually get a manual gearbox E60 M5?

They sure did LHD only. Would be a nice car with a proper gear shifter.

GM's LS7 offers 2L additional displacement with the same HP and 90lb/ft tq extra for 32kg less than the S85 (still 5kg less than the S65, even). It's pretty good on emissions, too.

Mercedes Benz is aiming to have every model turbo charged by 2015.

They sure did LHD only. Would be a nice car with a proper gear shifter.

Piece of useless information about turbo'd engines, you can only get turbo'd X5s now, diesel obviously and the 35si new.

I'm more looking forward to the 1 series M car TBH, it will be the spiritual successor to the E30 M3, and BMW know that so it should be a corker.

This is going to be too fat, too soulless, and I bet it will be filled with useless heavy technology. Fine for the road I guess, but my bet is it will be close to, or over 2 tonnes. E39 M5 had the right formula.

Is this confirmed at all? As far as I know they said they wouldn't make one?

Is this confirmed at all? As far as I know they said they wouldn't make one?

http://www.bimmersport.co.nz/forums/index....mp;#entry374166

Dont agree with turbo bmw's ruining the brand image, they've built turbo cars since the 70's 2002 turbo :blink:

Edited by Jacko