Sign in to follow this  
gouba

Carpet Dye

Ppulled out my e30 carpet as it was in a state and I want to dye it. Have it a massive waterblast which helped but im set on chucking some black carpet back in. Anyone know where I can get carpet dye in Auckland?

E30 Carpet is synthetic so spray on dye from Repco etc won't work very well from personal experience.

E30 Carpet is synthetic so spray on dye from Repco etc won't work very well from personal experience.

i beg to differ. its been fine for me not far off three years later. was one of my first mods to my E30

brush the carpet with a hearth brush/dustpan-and-broom brush in one direction. spray the dye on let it dry then brush all the carpet back the other way and repeat. i used the VHT stuff or whatever the brand is

Edited by _Ethrty-Andy_

I used VHT vinyl dye for my parcel tray. So i can vouch for the fact it works and looks good. I cant say what it would be like under wear though.

I've used the VHT vinyl dye on the door cards in the E30 and parcel tray in the E36.

Although neither are made of carpet which makes my info useless. But, the door cards are kind of wearing back to grey where my arm rubs against the drivers side door card..

I looked around ages ago for something or some way of making my carpet black on the cheap.

Only product I could find was the Vinyl dye and you'd need a lot of it!

If you want a hand I'll help/like to see how yours turns out :P

Used about $120 worth to do a whole car, incl head liner.

^did you use it from a gold plated can??

Ppulled out my e30 carpet as it was in a state and I want to dye it. Have it a massive waterblast which helped but im set on chucking some black carpet back in. Anyone know where I can get carpet dye in Auckland?

I've posted on here about a product called SEM available form a panel beating supply shop. Was $39 a can.

I found this which is pretty interesting

http://www.unitedbimmer.com/forums/bmw-oem...-dying-you.html

This one uses the standard fabric dyes that are available in supermarkets/spotlight stores. Looks like it came up pretty well

http://forums.eurocca.net/showthread.php/3...30-carpet-black

Edited by gouba

The method " TONTON " used in the second link looks awesome, wonder if our Spotlight in NZ has the same product?

i've seen that dye before so I know it is about. The hot dye would be a good idea as it spills wont affect it.

i'll give it a go over the weekend and do a walk through if it turns out alright

Sunday? I'd like to spectate...I'll bring beer :D

Did it today, had to stop and drag everything inside half way through because of the rain.

Turned out really well, got a nice consistent color. Will do a mini write up tomorrow

I have used the VHT stuff. I think it did a good job. I went mad with it and brushed it in to make it go deeper.

Also washed it twice and hosed the carpet down several times before hand.