Sign in to follow this  
_BRS_

Motorcyclist dies on Hampton Downs

Heard this on the news at lunchtime today, going to be an enquiry etc, etc.

PS: that link's quite possibly the shortest news story in history.

Hit a wall on the straight? Wheelie fail?

From what I have heard he got into a tank slapper coming over the hump and lost control.

Very sad, he was doing the right thing and keeping it off the roads and in a controlled environment in order to better his riding skills. Condolences to all involved and RIP rider.

Edited by Quailboy

From what I have heard he got into a tank slapper coming over the hump and lost control.

Very sad, he was doing the right thing and keeping it off the roads and in a controlled environment in order to better his riding skills. Condolences to all involved and RIP rider.

Sad to hear.

I've always wondered about that bloody hump in the track - was it part of the track design - or a mistake which everyone has just ignored?

Sad to hear.

I've always wondered about that bloody hump in the track - was it part of the track design - or a mistake which everyone has just ignored?

This is a tragedy. Nobody plans to do a trackday expecting it to end like this.

I have a few concerns though. So just how bad is the hump? I've ridden the track on my own bike at a "rider training" day and hadn't noticed it. Admittedly I was only doing about 190kph going past the pits, but I don't recall anything especially scary about that part of the circuit. I've noticed a bit of an outcry on another forum about the hump since Friday morning too, and it bothers me that I've not noticed anything said about it before now.

It also bothers me that the track is being blamed already when there's been no time to examine the rider's bike to inspect it thoroughly for mechanical faults, or check that the rider hadn't blacked out etc. The rider involved was an experienced and capable rider according to a few comments made elsewhere, but that doesn't eliminate him from the equation either.

And anyway, how many drivers/riders have lost their lives at Pukekohe over the years? It seems to be accepted that Pukekohe is a potentially more dangerous and unforgiving circuit, so is the kerfuffle with this rider's death primarily due to him holding the dubious title of the first fatality?

It also bothers me that the track is being blamed already when there's been no time to examine the rider's bike to inspect it thoroughly for mechanical faults, or check that the rider hadn't blacked out etc. The rider involved was an experienced and capable rider according to a few comments made elsewhere, but that doesn't eliminate him from the equation either.

I know, a few guys who have raced 600cc-1000cc bikes round Hampton and they haven't noticed it.

I totally agree. They're always looking a reason to blame everything but the man on the bike or the guy behind the wheel. Hampton Downs is a 1st class track, this is something no race track can prolong from happening, whether its Puke, Spa, Abu Dhabi, or any other track.

The only "hump" I can think of would be the crest of the hill, which is about 60m or so before the pit entrance. I always give my head liner a little bump with my helmet going over it and I'm not doing 190kph. On my first visit to HD it was damp in the morning and after the first session myself and others were chatting in the pits and a couple of drivers had made steering adjustments at that crest and nearly came to grief.

My condolences to all involved

Edited by sweetm3

I know, a few guys who have raced 600cc-1000cc bikes round Hampton and they haven't noticed it.

I totally agree. They're always looking a reason to blame everything but the man on the bike or the guy behind the wheel. Hampton Downs is a 1st class track, this is something no race track can prolong from happening, whether its Puke, Spa, Abu Dhabi, or any other track.

If they say they haven't noticed it, they're not telling you the truth Jack, there is a definite point which even my car lifts on as you crest the front straight. I'm not blaming the track, but it is there, and you do need to be aware of it, as I'm sure he was also.

Condolences to all concerned.

The only "hump" I can think of would be the crest of the hill, which is about 60m or so before the pit entrance. I always give my head liner a little bump with my helmet going over it and I'm not doing 190kph. On my first visit to HD it was damp in the morning and after the first session myself and others were chatting in the pits and a couple of drivers had made steering adjustments at that crest and nearly came to grief.

My condolences to all involved

Latest news article says:

"Porter was just five minutes into his "ride day" event when his front wheel became airborne after coming over a rise on the final corner of the track."

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article....jectid=10684284

Its a tough one. People are calling for safety airbags along the side of the track - others think the hump should be fixed. Its the one place on the track which I have never liked - and I always wondered why the hell it was designed in like that. Seems weird.

Its a tough one. People are calling for safety airbags along the side of the track - others think the hump should be fixed. Its the one place on the track which I have never liked - and I always wondered why the hell it was designed in like that. Seems weird.

I dont see what the problem is, its a problem for motorbikes ... dont load up the bike over the rise, you wouldn't do this normally on the road.

I have done that hump around 180kph in the soaking wet with race suspension (hard pring rates) and its not bad at all. You just need to not do anything stupid like turn at the same time as going over it.

Puke is full of issue like this such as the very bumpy front straight, and nil cambered Jennian homes corner. Hampton is a dream in comprarison.

anyways .. could debate till the cows come home.

it's a terrible tragedy and is a dam shame it's happened :( condolences too friends and family

I dont see what the problem is, its a problem for motorbikes ... dont load up the bike over the rise, you wouldn't do this normally on the road.

I have done that hump around 180kph in the soaking wet with race suspension (hard pring rates) and its not bad at all. You just need to not do anything stupid like turn at the same time as going over it.

Puke is full of issue like this such as the very bumpy front straight, and nil cambered Jennian homes corner. Hampton is a dream in comprarison.

anyways .. could debate till the cows come home.

it's a terrible tragedy and is a dam shame it's happened :( condolences too friends and family

^^^^^^ Totally agree & condolences to his family/friends from me too

It is probably innevitable that a tragedy was going to happen at some stage at HD, though we never want to see it. It is always a risk with motorsport.

^^^^^^ Totally agree & condolences to his family/friends from me too

It is probably innevitable that a tragedy was going to happen at some stage at HD, though we never want to see it. It is always a risk with motorsport.

well said !