Sign in to follow this  
Heino

BMW kits.

UPDATE:

Just discovered that these are not fibreglass products but FRP products which means FIBRE REINFORCED PLASTIC.

= More durablity.

Just letting you know of my interest IF you can get e36 lips on their own... bet there is a large market for them.

Has anyone got a pick of this "lip"?

I could be keen if its the one im thinking of

ben he said he doesn't think he can get them in. but +1 to what Michael said they will sell like crazy if you can find them.

FRP = Fiber glass.

Technically fiberglass is just the fibers, it becomes FRP when you add the matrix (epoxy resin etc), funnily enough they are made out of glass. in Carbon fiber, theyre carbon ;)

FRP is what everyone refers to as fiberglass.

^+1 I was just about to say the same.... FRP = fiberglass.. at least its a easier material to work with if the fitment is average. :lol:

There is a new material called PFRP pliable FRP/Hybrid FRP. I've got a new C-west PFRP lip on my 350Z, much more durable and slightly flexible. B)

still waiting to know estimated costs and ETA? :rolleyes:

Fibreglass Bodykits are sold in kit form, just add resin :D

As someone who has tried bodykits and still has some in stock you need to be very very very careful with the quality. We actually visited the factory and watched them make kits before deciding to go ahead with an order. Our factory made kits for Veilside so we got to see first hand their construction techniques and how thick the fibreglass was. Sorry to say ,but at the prices that you have quoted I would not expect to them to be of a very high quality (ie very thin fibreglass).

You also need to take into account that there will be breakages when they are shipped as they tend to just lay them in a container and the port guys are not very careful with the cranes. Have you fully sorted the costs out yet? If you are doing a container (which is generally how the Chinese operate on minimum orders), you are up for at least $3k straight away for shipping costs which does not include any MAF or associated charges. As you are not a recognised importer I would hazard a guess that MAF will stop the container to check it which = more $$$. Have you got MAF approved facilities to unload the container? Where are you going to store the goods? Bear in mind that there are also detention charges on containers if you do not get them back within 5 days.

Managed warehousing is probably best for you in that you only pay for the amount of room you use and as you sell more the cost comes down bcause you are using less warehousing.

We also imported PU body kits. PU is a flexible plastic and far superior to FRP. We actually watched a guy fold it in half before letting it go back to shape and fitting it again. The downside is that it require more care (flexible primer) when painting, but the fit and finish of them is excellent .

I am not having a go at you Heino, I just want to make sure you are fully aware of all the "hidden costs". Having done this now for over 6 years and jumping through hoops for MAF we know all about the hidden pitfalls.

Edited by zenetti

^/thread.

Also, would definitly not recommend pre-painting fibre glass kits before you have test fitted them, mainly because they don't usually fit.

As someone who has tried bodykits and still has some in stock you need to be very very very careful with the quality. We actually visited the factory and watched them make kits before deciding to go ahead with an order. Our factory made kits for Veilside so we got to see first hand their construction techniques and how thick the fibreglass was. Sorry to say ,but at the prices that you have quoted I would not expect to them to be of a very high quality (ie very thin fibreglass).

You also need to take into account that there will be breakages when they are shipped as they tend to just lay them in a container and the port guys are not very careful with the cranes. Have you fully sorted the costs out yet? If you are doing a container (which is generally how the Chinese operate on minimum orders), you are up for at least $3k straight away for shipping costs which does not include any MAF or associated charges. As you are not a recognised importer I would hazard a guess that MAF will stop the container to check it which = more $$$. Have you got MAF approved facilities to unload the container? Where are you going to store the goods? Bear in mind that there are also detention charges on containers if you do not get them back within 5 days.

Managed warehousing is probably best for you in that you only pay for the amount of room you use and as you sell more the cost comes down bcause you are using less warehousing.

We also imported PU body kits. PU is a flexible plastic and far superior to FRP. We actually watched a guy fold it in half before letting it go back to shape and fitting it again. The downside is that it require more care (flexible primer) when painting, but the fit and finish of them is excellent .

I am not having a go at you Heino, I just want to make sure you are fully aware of all the "hidden costs". Having done this now for over 6 years and jumping through hoops for MAF we know all about the hidden pitfalls.

Thank you man. i appreciate your concern. but yes i have had the place chekd out. they supply for companies such a Simens, ABB and Hitachi they do not just ,make bodykits so i believe that their quality is up their. and to make sure i place the minimum order. I also had a very long phone call with NZcustoms and i am now i registered trader and i asked about all the hidden cost an he told me exactly what to add on where. i did this and i am still happy with the price. he also told me that i need to get in contact with BIO security so that they can chek my shipment for any insects etc that could be a threat to New Zealand. so i am aware of costs and also we have a safe trader payment system set up so thanks alot but because we are trying to do everything in the best way possible so we know what we are buying it is taking longer. But on the other hand that does not bother me to much because if you do something, you do it right or you dont do it at all. "something my dad always told me"

Thnaks.

^/thread.

Also, would definitly not recommend pre-painting fibre glass kits before you have test fitted them, mainly because they don't usually fit.

could have them test fitted and then painted. i am just saying i could have them painted at a reasonable price.

could have them test fitted and then painted. i am just saying i could have them painted at a reasonable price.

I would be keen on front and rear e39 motorsport style bumpers. Do they come with the rubbing strip inserts , and also the mesh (or similar) grille part (on the front one) Any rough indication of cost on all of this? Cheers, Paul

Ji guys have worked out a ruff price. and it has come to abit of a stand still atm just because my dad said we can finalize it all after your exams are done -__- i was like AYE! but owell exams are over on the 26th for me so not to long so then everything will be finalized.

Cheers.

*sorry dads orders hahaha hes the one with the money here lol*

Could be keen for an e34 kit if you have some of them coming. Would need to know final price first tho

Good news.. well not really. after emailing the person alot and asking for photos she finally returned with a email stating.

"Hi Heino,

About this, to be honest, because our company don't make fitment, we are not very clear.

Best regards and thanks"

So im abit hesitant about doing it.

if only this was said at the start.

Well you had to have had an inkling when the price of the kits were so cheap, no? And made out of FRP to boot.

There are all sorts of horror stories about people having to spend hundreds at a panel beater to get their fibreglass kits to fit. Hopefully when my Alpina front arrives it won't require too much mending.

Well you had to have had an inkling when the price of the kits were so cheap, no? And made out of FRP to boot.

There are all sorts of horror stories about people having to spend hundreds at a panel beater to get their fibreglass kits to fit. Hopefully when my Alpina front arrives it won't require too much mending.

yes but thats why i just took my time finding all of this out so i dont waste about 3000 dollers hahah

Good news.. well not really. after emailing the person alot and asking for photos she finally returned with a email stating.

"Hi Heino,

About this, to be honest, because our company don't make fitment, we are not very clear.

Best regards and thanks"

So im abit hesitant about doing it.

if only this was said at the start.

Now who didn't see that coming :rolleyes:

yes but thats why i just took my time finding all of this out so i dont waste about 3000 dollers hahah

A container would have been a lot more than that, shipping alone is generally around that mark

Now who didn't see that coming :rolleyes:

A container would have been a lot more than that, shipping alone is generally around that mark

Thanks for your input. but atleast i tried to do something. coz there are fucck all kits in NZ so yeah. and no im sorry but it was 3000 to get it all here to the auckland port.

sorry but it was 3000 to get it all here to the auckland port.

I have underlined the relevant bit. What you have failed to take into account is the port service charges, MAF charges, Container pickup and drop off charges (x2). and then add GST on top of that. As I regularly import containers I do have a fair idea of what is required and the charges.

Good on you for having a go but it seems like you didn't really do all of your homework properly :)

Giving out your cost prices is never a good idea :)

Edited by e38king

I have underlined the relevant bit. What you have failed to take into account is the port service charges, MAF charges, Container pickup and drop off charges (x2). As I regularly import containers I do know what I am talking about.

Good on you for having a go but it seems like you didn't really do all of you homework properly :)

Giving out your cost prices is never a good idea :)

Sorry but that price did include import tax and everything i called customs and got a quote for everything. all that was left was for me to go and pik it up. :D

Sorry but that price did include import tax and everything i called customs and got a quote for everything. all that was left was for me to go and pik it up. :D

Dear oh dear...

You cannot just drive onto the wharf and pick stuff up. The container must be picked up by a registered company and then taken to MAF approved facilities to be unloaded. You get charged to have the container picked up by a swinglift, then get charged to get it dropped off, then get charged again to get it picked up. This has nothing to do with MAF or Customs.

MAF and Customs are 2 separate entitities so their charges are unrelated. If you can do the whole lot for 3k then obviously there would only be about 10 kits in the container.

If you don't unload the container and get it back to the port within a specified period of time then you also get charged detention charges.

Then again, what would I know, I have only be doing it for over 5 years :rolleyes:

Edited by e38king

Dear oh dear...

You cannot just drive onto the wharf and pick stuff up. The container must be picked up by a registered company and then taken to MAF approved facilities to be unloaded. You get charged to have the container picked up by a swinglift, then get charged to get it dropped off, then get charged again to get it picked up. This has nothing to do with MAF or Customs.

MAF and Customs are 2 separate entitities so their charges are unrelated. If you can do the whole lot for 3k then obviously there would only be about 10 kits in the container.

If you don't unload the container and get it back to the port within a specified period of time then you also get charged detention charges.

Then again, what would I know, I have only be doing it for over 5 years :rolleyes:

Fair enough, im not going to argue. coz im just saying what customs told me. i asked them if i could pik up and they said yes just after its all been cheked out.

Only on BS could you have a serious 'debate' about shipping/container costings. Made my day, cheers :D