Sign in to follow this  
nofxdenk

EDIABAS errors on E46 330CI - FIXED

Hi guys,

I was just wondering if anybody esle had these error codes on an E46 and how were they fixed?

About a week ago got the following codes which i pulled from EDIABAS:

227 Lambda Control Tolerance Bank 1 too big

228 Lambda Control Tolerance Bank 2 too big

Noticed the car is idling a little bit rough when it is in gear and not moving (foot on a break).

Also noticed that the car is running a bit better when it is not warmed up - is a bit more responsive.

Thanks in advance

Edited by e46beast

I had a problem when idling cold and it was fine when warm or driving. Sometimes it's really rough, and the whole car was shaking. When starting from cold, it engine will die on occasion or the rpm would just suddenly drop and recover again. It always had these lambda control errors but there was nothing wrong with the o2 sensor, check the whole air-intake system and that was fine. Three times it was throwing up cylinder misfire codes. (This was over a 2 months period). Monitor the ignition coil, swap them around and it wasn't the ignition coils problems.

In the end, we replace the Vanos seal instead of the whole Vanos unit, and all of these symptoms went away.

http://www.beisansystems.com/

The mechanic the lambda sensor can only tell you whether it's too lean or too rich. It means something else before that is wrong but it's not detected so there is no easy way to find out what is wrong. Just systematically checking everything.

Your symptom are very different from mine, then again same problem might have different symptoms and same symptom might have different problems. But people say the seals on these Vanos units don't last, the M52 engine has the idling when cold problem but M54 using the same unit also has this problem but the symptoms are suppressed. Even though this may not be the problem it will be worth replacing.

If you want to get it sorted properly I would be taking it to a tech , May have to do some live monitoring to find out what is really going on.

Sounds like it could be the DISA valve but like others said really need someone to check it out

erm ... you sure its just not the o2 sensors going bad ?

When that happens it reverts back to 'failsafe' maps which runs a little bit richer than normal. You can tell from a drop in fuel economy and blackish sooty powder around the boot / bumper area when you wipe your finger across it. More than usual obviously.

again, leaks between the MAF and intake manifold can cause this sort of things.

Its a very subjective subject ..

rush hour / town driving will obviously give you bad results.

Open road obviously good.

Yours looks really good.

I would get the car scanned using GT1 as its a bit more friendly on the returned results. I may give you better clues.